Fungi identification

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Fungi identification

Post by Cugel »

More mushrooms, as the fungi season gets into full swing. There's even a small coral fungus for Tangled.

P9140916-Edit.jpg

LLwndrissi fungi 14-9-18.jpg

LLwndrissi fungi 14-9-12.jpg

LLwndrissi fungi 14-9-5.jpg

Banc Du fungi 13-9-5.jpg

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I really wish I could upload the coral fungi photo I took. It was nicely branched with a shiny, slightly texturised surface and with the background of brown pine needles it really stood out. Nature most beautiful.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could you draw it perhaps?

I am very wary of fungi, but I collect a lot of fruit
If I find a 'new' plum or cherry tree I just eat a few fruits, in case of digestive problems (never had any)
The early plums are great, very healthy, filling too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

In the news today, a Welsh mushroom hunter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49687905
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:I really wish I could upload the coral fungi photo I took. It was nicely branched with a shiny, slightly texturised surface and with the background of brown pine needles it really stood out. Nature most beautiful.

A scanner?

A once spent about a month scanning all my old slides, negs and even some prints. The scanning didn't take too much time but cleaning the results up in Photoshop took ages. No matter how hard you try to clean the negs and slides, the results get infested with lots of teeny dust and hair shadow that must be de-spotted away.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:In the news today, a Welsh mushroom hunter.

That lot of porcini is a fine fungi find. I feel the envy but also the increased motivation to go a-seeking-oh.

In half an hour the dogs will be walked, again frustrated by a lack of stick-throwing as I bumble about the forest depths trying to discover some even bigger porcini. In truth I still wouldn't pick and eat them, as their spores need to be cast about so they continue to flourish. Photographing them is enough for me.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

No new fungal-type items found today, although there is a profusion of those types already photographed. Since I am now macro-obsessed, the wee camera was employed on other lens fodder.

Yellow vetch-1.jpg

Scabius.jpg

saxifrage.jpg

Hawkweed.jpg

Bugle.jpg

All these flowers/flower-clumps were between 1 and 2 cm in diameter.

Cugel, also now seeking insects and other wee live things.
John Maynard Keynes
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:Fungi recognition apps
Bear in mind that this is an American site. Some of the apps (e.g. the Rogers Mushrooms one - which evolved from a popular book published in Britain) may be suitable for British and European mushrooms; others will not be. Although some species are found on both sides of the Atlantic, in general the American species are quite different from ours.

When we visited the Appalachians a few years ago, we saw several mushrooms. I could not identify any of them. I certainly didn't pick any!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A friend of mine once ate some Amanita Muscaria in pursuit of a psychedelic experience. She did not get one, but was in quite a state for a few hours.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel, vocab!
FSO: Fungus-Shaped-Objects
Fascinating too are lichens and mosses, how they grow on the sunny or shaded sides of boulders
Amy LWMs, Large Wild Mammals?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cugel, vocab!
FSO: Fungus-Shaped-Objects
Fascinating too are lichens and mosses, how they grow on the sunny or shaded sides of boulders
Amy LWMs, Large Wild Mammals?

Fungus shaped objects? No, so far all the photos have been of actual real funguses rather than clay models or even plastic ones, placed in the forest just to fool the likes of me. I know because I sniff and poke at them, see?

Lichens & mosses! They'll be next to get sucked down me lens on to the teeny electronic soul-capturing device. Unlike the fungi fruiting bodies, lichens seem long-lived. Mosses hang about for a while too.

The only LWMs to be seen in Brechfa are the Welsh drivers of VLMs (Very Large Machines) along with the odd cuddy being ridden by fierce women with whips or crops. (No spurs, mind). Some are large ladies but most are quite svelte and comely, if inclined to glare. Some MTB riders believe themselves to be a bit wild but in reality they are big softies who think a 10 mile ride is really, really long. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote:
pwa wrote:In the news today, a Welsh mushroom hunter.

That lot of porcini is a fine fungi find. I feel the envy but also the increased motivation to go a-seeking-oh.

In half an hour the dogs will be walked, again frustrated by a lack of stick-throwing as I bumble about the forest depths trying to discover some even bigger porcini. In truth I still wouldn't pick and eat them, as their spores need to be cast about so they continue to flourish. Photographing them is enough for me.

Cugel

Sustainable harvesting is the key. Take some and leave some. The main organism continues living beneath the surface, of course, so you taking a few fruiting bodies will have little negative impact. If I were sure of the identification, one large mushroom would be more than enough for a meal.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I once found a hoard of Penny Buns quite similar to the upthread pictured ones in Wales.

We harvested a couple of full sized bags full and dried most of them. Lasted couple of years. It was after one of the dry summers in the 80's.

Secret places!
However upon rejoining the footpath nearby voices were heard.
It was David Bellamy (remember him?) leading a field group. He had just found a single Penny Pun and was holding forth.
I passed by with my plunder with a mere polite "nice day" and an inner smile!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Meanwhile, here in Sussex....

....zilch. :(

Passed a few measly Lactarius (inedible) in a damp spot, during our walk across the Common this afternoon, but elsewhere it's been far too dry. Unless we get plenty of rain in the next few weeks, this year will draw a blank.

Similarly in France. We saw nothing there. Yes there were cèpes on sale in LeClerc - don't know where they get them from. Certainly not locally.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).