An unusual use for old spokes.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: An unusual use for old spokes.

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Sep 2019, 9:14am

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:BTW re the OP, we need Brucey to do the metallurgy bit to tell us if in any way the exercise was worthwhile in terms of a functional knife that would hold an edge.

Perhaps the the originator spoke too soon :?

Your coat's over there. Perhaps you could whistle the tune of 'Wheel meet again' on your way out?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Sep 2019, 9:19am

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:BTW re the OP, we need Brucey to do the metallurgy bit to tell us if in any way the exercise was worthwhile in terms of a functional knife that would hold an edge.

Perhaps the the originator spoke too soon :?

Your coat's over there. Perhaps you could whistle the tune of 'Wheel meet again' on your way out?

You're Sapim the energy out of this thread,and giving me the DT's(wiss)into the bargain due to the pretension,I need some stress relief :? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Sep 2019, 9:21am

That's three times I've been crossed on this thread :x
I cycle therefore I am.

freiston

Postby freiston » 14 Sep 2019, 11:21am

The article linked to in the OP states:

"At the beginning I wasn't sure if the spoke material was suitable for a knife blade so I did a quick spark test (see step 1) and found there should be sufficient carbon content. However, when later testing the hardness of the quenched blade, it didn't harden to my satisfaction. (EDIT: See below) Even though the finished knife isn't going into active kitchen service, I went on to complete the knife as I was intrigued by the pattern in the blade. And I'm hoping you may learn something from reviewing the steps in my process...

EDIT: We've been using the knife in our kitchen and it's working great, cutting well and comfortable in the hand. We'll be using the knife on a regular basis."
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Sep 2019, 11:22am

reohn2 wrote: ............... And so would an old Mercian :mrgreen:
It's dented, scratched, faded, but it still is a delightful ride.
I spent more on the frame's restoration for its 21st birthday that I paid for the thing originally. It's 33years old now, and the money I spent on the restoration was wasted. I should have left it as it was, because the paintwork is poor in comparison to the original. I think they use different paints these days.

The bike has a bit of a Trigger's Broom about it. Third set of wheels, third set of gearing system, though only the second saddle.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Sep 2019, 12:06pm

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote: ............... And so would an old Mercian :mrgreen:
It's dented, scratched, faded, but it still is a delightful ride.
I spent more on the frame's restoration for its 21st birthday that I paid for the thing originally. It's 33years old now, and the money I spent on the restoration was wasted. I should have left it as it was, because the paintwork is poor in comparison to the original. I think they use different paints these days.

The bike has a bit of a Trigger's Broom about it. Third set of wheels, third set of gearing system, though only the second saddle.

Mick
I accept your mitigating circumstances :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.