Harmful 'phone calls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
JohnW
Posts: 6241
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Harmful 'phone calls

Postby JohnW » 12 Sep 2019, 3:39pm

I had a call from 02406 374891.
A number I don't know and haven't seen before.
I didn't pick it up.
I 'Googled' it and found three German speaking sites, which I couldn't make head nor tail of.
On the 'Google' page (not Google actually - search engine page - but you'll know what I mean) there was an option to click on for translation.
I clicked on but my 'protection' stopped me and told me that they'd stopped it because the 'translation' site was infected by a malicious virus (or something).
I just thought I'd let folks know.

reohn2
Posts: 36701
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby reohn2 » 12 Sep 2019, 3:55pm

Thanks for the heads up John :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
freiston
Posts: 681
Joined: 6 Oct 2013, 10:20am
Location: Coventry

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby freiston » 12 Sep 2019, 3:57pm

I suspect the caller ID number was spoofed. "024" is a Coventry code but I believe there are no Coventry numbers beginning "06".
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46982
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby Mick F » 12 Sep 2019, 4:25pm

The dialling code 02406 is Herzogenrath in Germany.

Google "02406 dialling code".
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14156
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby mjr » 12 Sep 2019, 4:58pm

Mick F wrote:The dialling code 02406 is Herzogenrath in Germany.

Google "02406 dialling code".

But if in the UK, the caller ID should display as +492406...

I'm with freiston. Probably faked.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

JohnW
Posts: 6241
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby JohnW » 12 Sep 2019, 9:11pm

It was most definitely German and I think Herzogenrath.
The number was displayed on the screen on my landline 'phone handset.
I didn't answer of course - the tip-off about a malevolent web-site referred to the translation site..........I'm grateful for my 'protection' because I was completely innocent of the possibility of that being malevolent.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9555
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby Cunobelin » 12 Sep 2019, 9:17pm

Sat on the bus last night and received such a call

Two young ladies across the way were giggling at my response.

As a 60-year-old male...

They now think I am an unemployed 25 living in a run-down flat, can't afford a washing machine or TV and running a very basic cheap Android phone.


So the exercise was a waste of time as none of the answers bears any resemblance to the reality... all they have achieved is to skew any results they have

JohnW
Posts: 6241
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby JohnW » 12 Sep 2019, 9:45pm

Cunobelin wrote:Sat on the bus last night and received such a call

Two young ladies across the way were giggling at my response.

As a 60-year-old male...

They now think I am an unemployed 25 living in a run-down flat, can't afford a washing machine or TV and running a very basic cheap Android phone.


So the exercise was a waste of time as none of the answers bears any resemblance to the reality... all they have achieved is to skew any results they have

Nice one!

Carlton green
Posts: 321
Joined: 22 Jun 2019, 12:27pm

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby Carlton green » 12 Sep 2019, 9:56pm

Occasionally I have a call trying to sell me home improvements, I never give my real name or real address and tell such people that I’m on benefits and live in a rented property - guess for yourself if that is true. Never, ever, give data away. When the Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my door I told them that I was a Born Again Baptist (which might or might not be true) so they decided to go away and look for easier converts - I’m not certain that they completely believed me but it’s much more polite, non aggressive, and just as effective as the alternative.

My Mother-in-Law had a habit of talking to callers and despite thinking herself streetwise she still got tricked out of some money and ended up buying things that she didn’t need.

Beyond swiftly getting rid of them never engage with unexpected callers. Even if you know that they’re a con’ artist you gain nothing substantial from engaging with them, you waste your own time, you risk still being sucked in by them and you give them the opportunity to sharpen their skills.
Last edited by Carlton green on 13 Sep 2019, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3749
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby NUKe » 12 Sep 2019, 10:17pm

“Hello this is Microsoft, we have detected a leak in your internet, we are going to turn it off.”
“Hello this BT, “
These two lines always tell me we are going to have fun.
Always play the doddering idiot with the really slow computer.
Conversation starts
“We have seen a problem with your internet. “
“Oh that’s terrible what do you need to do “
make a cup of tea pretending to switch on my imaginary computer it’s windows 97 if they ask . Can you start your Browser?
What is that ?
You can usually get them to list of internet browsers. Then tell them yours is Netscape. By this point they are hooked and you can real them in. They’re exited , another 5 minutes can be wasted pretending to type in there website. Or they might ask for details such as IP address can usually make something up.

Keep meaning to build a virtual machine on Linux then I can keep them going even longer.
NUKe
_____________________________________

Grandad
Posts: 1056
Joined: 22 Nov 2007, 12:22am
Location: Kent

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby Grandad » 13 Sep 2019, 1:32am

Caller ;"I'm phoning about your car accident"

Street savvy daughter: "Oh, the one where I was drunk and killed a pedestrian?"

Caller: "Please hold on a moment"

Daughter hangs up whilst they are presumably referring to someone more senior :D

backnotes
Posts: 100
Joined: 16 Jan 2011, 8:36am

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby backnotes » 13 Sep 2019, 9:11am

The other way if you don't have the time to wind them up is to say your phone number is registered with TPS, and ask them for their name and company name as they shouldn't be calling you. Outbound callers do seem to be scared of TPS and know what it is, and immediately say they will remove you from their calling list.

I registered a few months ago and the volume of unwanted calls is probably down by 80-90%, and most of the remaining 10-20% tend to go away without a fight. The passing of the PPI deadline may have helped as well!

(TPS = Telephone Preference Service - https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html - it's free to register)

pwa
Posts: 10560
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby pwa » 13 Sep 2019, 9:14am

Grandad wrote:Caller ;"I'm phoning about your car accident"

Street savvy daughter: "Oh, the one where I was drunk and killed a pedestrian?"

Caller: "Please hold on a moment"

Daughter hangs up whilst they are presumably referring to someone more senior :D

Very funny. Must try that one.

Ant...
Posts: 46
Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 4:35pm
Location: Denbighshire

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby Ant... » 13 Sep 2019, 9:37am

When I used to get calls about PPI. I would tell them I was OK about that but I'd had an accident that was'nt my fault, that stumped them.

mercalia
Posts: 11656
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Postby mercalia » 13 Sep 2019, 12:16pm

Carlton green wrote:Occasionally I have a call trying to sell me home improvements, I never give my real name or real address and tell such people that I’m on benefits and live in a rented property - guess for yourself if that is true. Never, ever, give data away. When the Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my door I told them that I was a Born Again Baptist (which might or might not be true) so they decided to go away and look for easier converts - I’m not certain that they completely believed me but it’s much more polite, non aggressive, and just as effective as the alternative.

My Mother-in-Law had a habit of talking to callers and despite thinking herself streetwise she still got tricked out of some money and ended up buying things that she didn’t need.

Beyond swiftly getting rid of them never engage with unexpected callers. Even if you know that they’re a con’ artist you gain nothing substantial from engaging with them, you waste your own time, you risk still being sucked in by them and you give them the opportunity to sharpen their skills.



You should tell them you are a Satanist or a Witch/Warlock :twisted: and give them "the evil eye" - see them cross themselves and get their cross out :evil:

You lucky lot I dont get strange phone calls or knock-knock-who's-there? But then I dont use the land line phone so I assume the calls go to Plusnets answer machine.