Page 1 of 3

Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 3:39pm
by JohnW
I had a call from 02406 374891.
A number I don't know and haven't seen before.
I didn't pick it up.
I 'Googled' it and found three German speaking sites, which I couldn't make head nor tail of.
On the 'Google' page (not Google actually - search engine page - but you'll know what I mean) there was an option to click on for translation.
I clicked on but my 'protection' stopped me and told me that they'd stopped it because the 'translation' site was infected by a malicious virus (or something).
I just thought I'd let folks know.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 3:55pm
by reohn2
Thanks for the heads up John :)

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 3:57pm
by freiston
I suspect the caller ID number was spoofed. "024" is a Coventry code but I believe there are no Coventry numbers beginning "06".

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 4:25pm
by Mick F
The dialling code 02406 is Herzogenrath in Germany.

Google "02406 dialling code".

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 4:58pm
by mjr
Mick F wrote:The dialling code 02406 is Herzogenrath in Germany.

Google "02406 dialling code".

But if in the UK, the caller ID should display as +492406...

I'm with freiston. Probably faked.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 9:11pm
by JohnW
It was most definitely German and I think Herzogenrath.
The number was displayed on the screen on my landline 'phone handset.
I didn't answer of course - the tip-off about a malevolent web-site referred to the translation site..........I'm grateful for my 'protection' because I was completely innocent of the possibility of that being malevolent.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 9:17pm
by Cunobelin
Sat on the bus last night and received such a call

Two young ladies across the way were giggling at my response.

As a 60-year-old male...

They now think I am an unemployed 25 living in a run-down flat, can't afford a washing machine or TV and running a very basic cheap Android phone.


So the exercise was a waste of time as none of the answers bears any resemblance to the reality... all they have achieved is to skew any results they have

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 9:45pm
by JohnW
Cunobelin wrote:Sat on the bus last night and received such a call

Two young ladies across the way were giggling at my response.

As a 60-year-old male...

They now think I am an unemployed 25 living in a run-down flat, can't afford a washing machine or TV and running a very basic cheap Android phone.


So the exercise was a waste of time as none of the answers bears any resemblance to the reality... all they have achieved is to skew any results they have

Nice one!

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 9:56pm
by Carlton green
Occasionally I have a call trying to sell me home improvements, I never give my real name or real address and tell such people that I’m on benefits and live in a rented property - guess for yourself if that is true. Never, ever, give data away. When the Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my door I told them that I was a Born Again Baptist (which might or might not be true) so they decided to go away and look for easier converts - I’m not certain that they completely believed me but it’s much more polite, non aggressive, and just as effective as the alternative.

My Mother-in-Law had a habit of talking to callers and despite thinking herself streetwise she still got tricked out of some money and ended up buying things that she didn’t need.

Beyond swiftly getting rid of them never engage with unexpected callers. Even if you know that they’re a con’ artist you gain nothing substantial from engaging with them, you waste your own time, you risk still being sucked in by them and you give them the opportunity to sharpen their skills.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 10:17pm
by NUKe
“Hello this is Microsoft, we have detected a leak in your internet, we are going to turn it off.”
“Hello this BT, “
These two lines always tell me we are going to have fun.
Always play the doddering idiot with the really slow computer.
Conversation starts
“We have seen a problem with your internet. “
“Oh that’s terrible what do you need to do “
make a cup of tea pretending to switch on my imaginary computer it’s windows 97 if they ask . Can you start your Browser?
What is that ?
You can usually get them to list of internet browsers. Then tell them yours is Netscape. By this point they are hooked and you can real them in. They’re exited , another 5 minutes can be wasted pretending to type in there website. Or they might ask for details such as IP address can usually make something up.

Keep meaning to build a virtual machine on Linux then I can keep them going even longer.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 1:32am
by Grandad
Caller ;"I'm phoning about your car accident"

Street savvy daughter: "Oh, the one where I was drunk and killed a pedestrian?"

Caller: "Please hold on a moment"

Daughter hangs up whilst they are presumably referring to someone more senior :D

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 9:11am
by backnotes
The other way if you don't have the time to wind them up is to say your phone number is registered with TPS, and ask them for their name and company name as they shouldn't be calling you. Outbound callers do seem to be scared of TPS and know what it is, and immediately say they will remove you from their calling list.

I registered a few months ago and the volume of unwanted calls is probably down by 80-90%, and most of the remaining 10-20% tend to go away without a fight. The passing of the PPI deadline may have helped as well!

(TPS = Telephone Preference Service - https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html - it's free to register)

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 9:14am
by pwa
Grandad wrote:Caller ;"I'm phoning about your car accident"

Street savvy daughter: "Oh, the one where I was drunk and killed a pedestrian?"

Caller: "Please hold on a moment"

Daughter hangs up whilst they are presumably referring to someone more senior :D

Very funny. Must try that one.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 9:37am
by Ant...
When I used to get calls about PPI. I would tell them I was OK about that but I'd had an accident that was'nt my fault, that stumped them.

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 12:16pm
by mercalia
Carlton green wrote:Occasionally I have a call trying to sell me home improvements, I never give my real name or real address and tell such people that I’m on benefits and live in a rented property - guess for yourself if that is true. Never, ever, give data away. When the Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my door I told them that I was a Born Again Baptist (which might or might not be true) so they decided to go away and look for easier converts - I’m not certain that they completely believed me but it’s much more polite, non aggressive, and just as effective as the alternative.

My Mother-in-Law had a habit of talking to callers and despite thinking herself streetwise she still got tricked out of some money and ended up buying things that she didn’t need.

Beyond swiftly getting rid of them never engage with unexpected callers. Even if you know that they’re a con’ artist you gain nothing substantial from engaging with them, you waste your own time, you risk still being sucked in by them and you give them the opportunity to sharpen their skills.



You should tell them you are a Satanist or a Witch/Warlock :twisted: and give them "the evil eye" - see them cross themselves and get their cross out :evil:

You lucky lot I dont get strange phone calls or knock-knock-who's-there? But then I dont use the land line phone so I assume the calls go to Plusnets answer machine.