Rugger World Cup Fri 20th ITV

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Rugger World Cup Fri 20th ITV

Post by pete75 »

mattheus wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I think when anyone gets too into a sport they lose perspective and claim it's a metaphor for life. Or there's some inherent integrity in the sport, "it's not cricket" for example. Clearly it's not sledging, drugs, alcohol fuelled loutish behaviour, match fixing, betting scandals, ball tampering or anything dishonest then. :lol:

I'm preeeetty sure the phrase came into common usage many years before those problems you list. You might call this a "historical perspective" :)

How long ago was that? Both W G Grace and his brother were well known for what is now called sledging. Whole teams were apparently bribed in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Here's a Wisden article on the subject http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalman ... 53196.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

What was going on with England taking off their runners up medals?
Doesn't sound very sportsman like.
They were out played from the start and lost by a large margin so not sure what their point was.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

francovendee wrote:What was going on with England taking off their runners up medals?
They were out played from the start and lost by a large margin so not sure what their point was.

I find it somewhat ironic that we're not as good at losing as NZ, who behaved with such grace both last week and at the Cricket World Cup - we have, after all, had a good deal of practice :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
francovendee wrote:What was going on with England taking off their runners up medals?

That may well be how England losing will be viewed.
I agree it did show some of the England players most they were bad losers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's ironic the medals were presented by Bill Beaumont, a man renowned for his likable nature and good sportsmanship.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Are you worried that the medals were upset by this snub?

I'm sure you'll find the players showed full respect to the actual people involved. Or you could just look for the negatives, if that's what makes you happy :)

If they'd thrown their medals on the floor - or refused to accept them from Billy - then I'd call it disrespectful. I can't recall many losing finalists in sport looking thrilled to receive their losers medal, hugging it to their chests, kissing it as they raise it to the heavens. Of course, I'm sure the posters here can quote their direct experience of losing in the final of televised world championship contests, in a no doubt more sporting manner than this England side.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I remember the Australian PM back in 2003 being lampooned for the grumpy way he threw the winners medals onto the England players.

I don't really see what the fuss is about, you spend 4 years specifically working towards a goal and many years before working hard to improve, reach the final after an excellent performance against New Zealand, then nothing quite goes right in the final, in a sport where one little decision can change the whole game. Then after putting your all into a game for 80 minutes, people whine at you as you don't want to look at the thing marking you as a failure. I'm not sure how many losing finalists display their losing medals proudly anywhere.

Perhaps they should be awarded after the semi-final, then upgraded if you win the final, then receiving it would be recognition for winning the semi-final, rather than for losing the final.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I really wanted England to win so that they could taunt the England footballers - "What? You've only won the world cup once?" :twisted:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I was disappointed to see a number of England players not wearing/hiding under their jumpers their second prize medals.

Were they the products of public schools or were they from the riff raff side of the game?

Disclaimer:
I am Sarf Efrican by birth and Aussie by naturalisation.

Mike