Flushing the toilet twice...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Re: Flushing the toilet twice...

Post by landsurfer »

rjb wrote:If it's brown flush it down. If it's yellow let it mellow. :wink:

+1

So .. reality check .. all current DMU, DEMU AND EMU rail passenger rolling stock have collector tanks for toilet waste.
It's been a few years since the poo on the track issue.
This is mostly to protect the track workers ...

Piles of poo and toilet paper in stations is a thing of the past .... alledgley ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Any old type dump on the track toilets still in use on Notwork Rail or heritage railways?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Any old type dump on the track toilets still in use on Notwork Rail or heritage railways?

Northern rail definitely had trains up until not too long ago that did.

However they might have gone in the last few months, they bought some new trains which are very nice (although not as nice as some of those I've used darn sooth) and started running these on their more "prestigious" routes.
This means the hand-me-downs from these routes have now replaced the absolutely ancient and disgusting trains on the local stopping service with trains that could almost be described as "adequate".
So perhaps the problem is no more.
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:Apparently this is now considered a 'terrorist threat':
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305
The reason, the agent allegedly said, was that Mr Abdallah "went to the restroom and... flushed twice".
Well - I can't speak for others, and this isn't something I often speak about - but, if I've been for a Number Two, I sometimes do need to flush twice to get it all down....

Perhaps "No.2"s are not permitted on aircraft?

Of course the racial stereotyping speaks volumes in this case. Otherwise, it'd be funny.

Yet another reason why I don't ever want to go flying again. Can I live up to this pledge?

My record must be something like 15 flushes. Would that get me tazered?
Last edited by pwa on 21 Sep 2019, 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

661-Pete wrote:Isn't there some story about tomato plants springing up between the rails? Something to do with the seeds only being able to germinate once they've passed through a digestive tract?

Recently in Hungary, I noticed a variety of brassica growing between the rails. I wondered whether it was toilet related, but couldn't think of a brassica seed that is a food.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bovlomov wrote:Recently in Hungary, I noticed a variety of brassica growing between the rails. I wondered whether it was toilet related, but couldn't think of a brassica seed that is a food.

Cauliflower?
Broccoli?
Last edited by Mike Sales on 21 Sep 2019, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whether one flushes once or more has to do with the Bristol scale that enables one to ascertain whether one has good digestive health

I do love digestive biscuits :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Recently in Hungary, I noticed a variety of brassica growing between the rails. I wondered whether it was toilet related, but couldn't think of a brassica seed that is a food.

Cauliflower?

Not in Germany, the state railway uses great quantities of glyphosat :?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Cauliflower?

I was not suggesting that cauliflower, or broccoli can be found growing between the rails, but that their seeds are eaten. I may be wrong, I'm no botanist.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Cauliflower?

I was not suggesting that cauliflower, or broccoli can be found growing between the rails, but that their seeds are eaten. I may be wrong, I'm no botanist.

The Hungarians eat poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. I'm not aware that cauliflower seeds are - or can be - eaten. Perhaps it wasn't a brassica, and perhaps it was nothing to with train toilets.

This subject certainly demands closer inspection.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bovlomov wrote:The Hungarians eat poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. I'm not aware that cauliflower seeds are - or can be - eaten. Perhaps it wasn't a brassica, and perhaps it was nothing to with train toilets.

I was thinking that the seeds in cauliflowers are in the curds, which we eat. Similarly broccoli. These are certainly brassicas.
I always expect that on this forum there is an expert who can help.
Perhaps some seeds need to pass through a digestion before germination, or at least can survive it, whereas others are destroyed by stomach acids.
Are not sunflower seeds cracked between the teeth?
Maybe the gravel and faeces compost between the tracks does not suit all seedlings.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 21 Sep 2019, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mike Sales wrote:
bovlomov wrote:The Hungarians eat poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. I'm not aware that cauliflower seeds are - or can be - eaten. Perhaps it wasn't a brassica, and perhaps it was nothing to with train toilets.

I was thinking that the seeds in cauliflowers are in the curds, which we eat. Similarly broccoli. These are certainly brassicas.
I always expect that on this forum there is an expert who can help.

I only know from growing broccoli - that we eat the immature flower. If it is left too long, the yellow flowers emerge. Presumably, those are where and when the seeds develop. Yes, we need an expert.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:When we give patients I131 therapy they are given this instruction!
Well I suppose it'll kill the rats down in the sewer...

My patients survive.. so Is suspect that the rats will.

On the bright side, I suppose we could be the reason wh Thyrotoxicosis in rats is so rarely reported
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Any old type dump on the track toilets still in use on Notwork Rail or heritage railways?

Northern rail definitely had trains up until not too long ago that did.

However they might have gone in the last few months, they bought some new trains which are very nice (although not as nice as some of those I've used darn sooth) and started running these on their more "prestigious" routes.
This means the hand-me-downs from these routes have now replaced the absolutely ancient and disgusting trains on the local stopping service with trains that could almost be described as "adequate".
So perhaps the problem is no more.

At least you have them!

The answer in this area was to remove toilets from all new rolling stock
Last edited by Cunobelin on 22 Sep 2019, 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:My record must be something like 15 flushes. Would that get me tazered?
No, that will happen when you go berserk after receiving an astronomical bill from the Water Company.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).