Flushing the toilet twice...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Flushing the toilet twice...

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Whether one flushes once or more has to do with the Bristol scale that enables one to ascertain whether one has good digestive health

I do love digestive biscuits :wink:

Just had my lunch but just in case you wanted to know. But why Bristol?

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I should have guessed how this thread was going to evolve... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cunobelin wrote:At least you have them!

That's a good point! Do we?

I'd normally need to be desperate to use a train loo so it's not something I've bothered checking, merely assumed.
softlips

Post by softlips »

rjb wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Whether one flushes once or more has to do with the Bristol scale that enables one to ascertain whether one has good digestive health

I do love digestive biscuits :wink:

Just had my lunch but just in case you wanted to know. But why Bristol?

Developed in Bristol. First time I saw this chart in a hospital I thought it was a joke. When I trained we didn’t need a bloody picture to deduce what was in front of us.

Latest charts in hospitals are pictures of different coloured urine in STAFF toilets to educate about dehydration- don’t they train this stuff anymore?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

softlips wrote:Latest charts in hospitals are pictures of different coloured urine in STAFF toilets to educate about dehydration- don’t they train this stuff anymore?

I recently read "This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor"

I no longer consider hospitals a safe place populated by experts which is probably just as well, I believe more people die in one than anywhere else.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

kwackers wrote:I no longer consider hospitals a safe place populated by experts which is probably just as well, I believe more people die in one than anywhere else.

I learned this during a long stay as patient in 1980. In the ambulance I thought that now I was in the hands of the medics everything was going to be fine. But they messed up.
But when somebody is moribund they are taken to hospital, so their record is poor. I believe very few people leave hospices alive.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I should have guessed how this thread was going to evolve... :roll:

Surely you are not surprised :wink:
I have several books about toilets: 'Privies of Wales', for example, and guides to 'Beduerfnisanstalten' in Hamburg and Berlin
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

softlips wrote: (My edit)
Developed in Bristol. First time I saw this chart in a hospital I thought it was a joke. When I trained we didn’t need a bloody picture to deduce what was in front of us.

Latest charts in hospitals are pictures of different coloured urine in STAFF toilets to educate about dehydration- don’t they train this stuff anymore?

Classic "joke" in the old days

A pool of melted chocolate in bed, take the student to help make the bed. Pick up what was "obviously" faeces, taste it and declare the patient as diabetic because of the sweet taste. Then offer the student a chance to sample and make the diagnosis

We always used charts for these things, urine and faeces included and that was back in the '70s

The current fashion for the staff toilets is that there is an emphasis on resilience and staff care. Hydration in the hot weather is a part of that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Resilience?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Resilience?

Yep... resilience
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Resilience?

Yep... resilience

Please, what has it to do with fashion, weather, toilets?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote:Yet another reason why I don't ever want to go flying again. Can I live up to this pledge?

I thought not having a choice between Quorn chasseur and tofu burger would seal the deal? :?

Though can you chasse Quorn.....?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:I thought not having a choice between Quorn chasseur and tofu burger would seal the deal? :?
Ha ha! Should have seen that coming! Definitely not available on Air Canada's in-flight menu, at any rate. So here are some suggestions - not targeted at AC, they're unlikely to take them up! But you may be interested....

Chilli-con-quorn. A quick and useful dinner, easy to prepare. It goes against the "no-meat-substitutes" principle, but we don't really follow that principle all the time, anyway. We just use quorn mince in place of the minced beef or whatever. Tastes as good as the meat-based version, and can be as hot as you like!

Black-Pepper-tofu. This is emphatically not a 'meat-subsitute' dish, it is a robust concoction of marinated tofu, caramelised onions, several types of soy sauce, spices, and lots and lots of pepper and chilli. Definitely not a dish to be taken lightly, it'll make your eyes water if you're not used to this sort of thing. It's more trouble to prepare than the above, so we have it only occasionally. But it's a real treat when it's on the table!

Of course we have many other recipes for both quorn and tofu. Definitely not to be dismissed lightly!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bovlomov wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
bovlomov wrote:The Hungarians eat poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. I'm not aware that cauliflower seeds are - or can be - eaten. Perhaps it wasn't a brassica, and perhaps it was nothing to with train toilets.

This subject certainly demands closer inspection.

I was thinking that the seeds in cauliflowers are in the curds, which we eat. Similarly broccoli. These are certainly brassicas.
I always expect that on this forum there is an expert who can help.

I only know from growing broccoli - that we eat the immature flower. If it is left too long, the yellow flowers emerge. Presumably, those are where and when the seeds develop. Yes, we need an expert.

Doubtless the food is prepared fresh on board so all sorts of waste could land on the track