Would you Abolish Eton?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Would you Abolish Eton?

Yes
26%
No
64%
Maybe
5%
Dont Know
5%

Total votes: 42

mercalia

Would you Abolish Eton?

Post by mercalia »

Henderson said Eton had changed significantly from the school that produced the likes of current prime minister Boris Johnson, former prime minister David Cameron and the leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg.

“What you are talking about there is a very small number of individuals who left the school over 30 years ago and who have made it to the top levels of politics. Eton in 2019 is a much more inclusive and diverse population than it was previously.

yeah £40,000/year of inclusivity :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... GTUK_email
Vorpal

Re: Would you Abolish Eton?

Post by Vorpal »

If I was making the rules, Eton would have to accept quotas.

The family income & ethnic distribution of the college should mirror that of the UK, as exactly as possible.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:If I was making the rules, Eton would have to accept quotas.

The family income & ethnic distribution of the college should mirror that of the UK, as exactly as possible.

but who pays the £40,000/year The tax payer? Well I want to go to Eton too ( even though I am a bit olde)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think it's broader and more complex.

Question should be about closing down the entire Public School education system.

I think they should be closed down gradually i.e. not declared illegal and have the doors locked 31 Dec 2019. The trouble is it is difficult to do in a fair manner. Labour have talked about ending their charitable status and tax exemptions which I agree they should not have. But ending them would undoubtedly mean their fees increasing which would make them even more elite. Maybe it's something they have to as a step towards ending them.

But "how" is far more difficult than Labour appear to appreciate. I suspect it would need to be done within a 5 year Labour term (i.e. Labour get elected and day 1 start the 5 years closedown plan so after 5 years they are no more). Remove charitable status and tax exemptions and next Conservative Government would just restore them probably adding a few additional hand-outs.

Ian
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

mercalia wrote:

Because some or many can't afford something is that a reason for it to go ? And if they are closed, where will all those pupils go ?

John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Because some or many can't afford something is that a reason for it to go ? And if they are closed, where will all those pupils go ?

John

The Headmasters justification for keeping it open was that it is more inclusive than it was. I would suggest £40,000/year undermines that claim. Eton is a 13-18 school. So if you stay the 6 years thats 6x£40,000 ie £1/4 million. Maybe he is thinking not only princes and dukes sprogs can go now but also the sprogs of city bankers and other leeches?
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Sep 2019, 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

One problem is that parents of children in public schools still pay for education on which their children do not depend ie state education. The state just couldn't cope if they all turned up at local comprehensives one morning.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:One problem is that parents of children in public schools still pay for education on which their children do not depend ie state education. The state just couldn't cope if they all turned up at local comprehensives one morning.

well a class size going up from 30 to 35 ok, since thats the reality in many state schools. The £40,000/year can pay for more teachers - one per student?
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Sep 2019, 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Eton is part of the fabric of British life and also given us the very finest of modern politicians....

... and also given The Jam something to sing about.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:One problem is that parents of children in public schools still pay for education on which their children do not depend ie state education. The state just couldn't cope if they all turned up at local comprehensives one morning.

I don't see that as a problem as our tax regime can be changed at the same time. Time to reverse the ever lower taxes for the wealthy (e.g. those who can afford £40k per child per year). The increased tax income would allow the Government to create more school places and improve the state provided education (reduce class sizes, maybe some text books).

Ian
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

mercalia wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

John

The Headmasters justification for keeping it open was that it is more inclusive than it was. I would suggest £40,000/year undermines that claim. Eton is a 13-18 school. So if you stay the 6 years thats 6x£40,000 ie £1/4 million. Maybe he is thinking not only princes and dukes sprogs can go now but also the sprogs of city bankers and other leeches?

I know people in ordinary (senior management and even tradesmen) jobs who have children in fee paying schools (£30k p.a schools), how about my question...where will all those pupils go ?

John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Psamathe wrote:

I don't see that as a problem as our tax regime can be changed at the same time. Time to reverse the ever lower taxes for the wealthy (e.g. those who can afford £40k per child per year). The increased tax income would allow the Government to create more school places and improve the state provided education (reduce class sizes, maybe some text books).

Ian

And when did governments last do that?
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:

John

I know people in ordinary (senior management and even tradesmen) jobs who have children in fee paying schools (£30k p.a schools), how about my question...where will all those pupils go ?

John

i already answered it. The item about increase class size from 30 to 35
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I can’t say that I’m in favour of Public Schools but the first thing society should is to ask itself a lot of questions about the many different reasons there are about why parents send their children to them. Only once society understands all of those reasons should it consider changing things. If there is to be a change then it needs to be over decades rather than a Parliamentary term and society needs to monitor the impact of changes as they occur.

British private education is held in high regard all over the world and families all over the world send their children here to be educated. That is an income stream for the U.K. and incidentally it also pays the wages of some people who I happen to know, they are ordinary folk and don’t earn a lot but those schools give them employment. Do we really want to loose that foreign income or should these schools only be open to students from other countries? If you close boarding schools then what of the state boarding schools, what of international schools and what of private days schools in general?

The situation has been simplified too much in that closing the likes of Eton would end up as an act of destruction which has more negative than positive impact. I might not like many of the consequences of such places still being part of 21st Century UK but be aware that the alternatives and unintended consequences could so easily be worse. Be careful what you wish for lest it become true...
https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/ ... h+for.html
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you have the money, why can't you buy what you want?
Legally of course.

You can buy anything with enough money ..................... even an education.
Why not?
Mick F. Cornwall