Guitar Players - Is It Hard?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hercule

Re: Guitar Players - Is It Hard.?

Post by hercule »

My wrist isn’t flexible enough to stretch round the neck of a guitar. I took up the (acoustic) mandolin about 6 or 7 years ago (zero prior musical experience except abortive attempts to learn the violin in my early 20s) and whilst I may not be good in any absolute sense it gives me a huge amount of pleasure and I like the noise I make! TAB is a quicker way to learn than using standard musical notation, but if you learn to read music you’ve got access to fiddle music, banjo music, etc. As an instrument it’s relatively cheap, there’s a wide variety of music styles you can play, and it’s fairly quiet so you’re not going to disturb the neighbours as you practice. I set myself a goal of practicing 15 minutes per day no matter what and I surprised myself with the progress I made. Simon Mayor’s books are good tutors.

Last year I felt I had gained enough musical confidence to take up the cello. Initial steps were faltering but I’ve found a good teacher (you really need a teacher for the cello, unlike the mando) and it is supplanting my mandolin in my affections. No frets, so it requires a more musical ear - I don’t think I’d have been able to play without the experience of the mandolin. Easier than the fiddle as you don’t need to contort yourself so much to be able to play. Not very portable though and the neighbours definitely know when you’re practicing. Fortunately mine are a long way away. But every so often it all works for a few bars and it sounds magical. :D
Vorpal

Re: Guitar Players - Is It Hard?

Post by Vorpal »

If you can learn a keyboard, you can certainly learn other instruments.

I play cello in the city orchestra, and have played a little of various other instruments (including guitar). While I would say a little talent helps, and some people certainly have a knack for one instrument or another, the most important thing is practice.

So, if you are motivated to practice, minor differences in difficulty, playing methods, etc. are unlikely to be barriers to learning. If you aren't motivated, anything can be a barrier.

I would recommend trying some instruments, if you can, and see what you take a liking to?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

3-strings are fun. There's an Austrian bloke makes dead flat pickups - http://www.flatpup.com - so that you don't have to cut chunks out of your neck. Haven't tried them, but they have to be better than piezos.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is playing violin or cello difficult?
There are no marks, how does one know where to put ones fingers?

Just watch your audience.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mattheus wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Is playing violin or cello difficult?
There are no marks, how does one know where to put ones fingers?

Just watch your audience.

:lol: :lol:

If you can't hear the difference, it's probably best to pick another instrument. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps Vorpal and the other musicians of this parish could form a chamber orchestra, like the Wimps LeJoG Project :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Vorpal wrote:... While I would say a little talent helps, and some people certainly have a knack for one instrument or another, the most important thing is practice.

I know an excellent pianist who's often been told he's lucky to have such talent. His reply (not necessarily out loud) is, "Yeah, the more I practice, the luckier I get."
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Hey guitarists! How are you now? I want to strat playing now guitar but idk if it is worth it to start playing at 35. Is it not too late?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Have a go, cheap guitar from the dump shop or car boot. You may surprise yourself. If you have kids start them young.

Good luck

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Certainly not too late in your mid 30s. Agree with all the posts that say persevere to get the basic cords down, a stage a lot of people fall over at, then you'll be able to play along for many years to come.

I rate perseverance and application. All the really good players I know aren't just talented (which many people think is all there is to it), they actually worked tirelessly at it also. You can do a lot without an abundance of talent, you probably just won't ever be famous.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

jazzkitten wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:07pm Hey guitarists! How are you now? I want to strat playing now guitar but idk if it is worth it to start playing at 35. Is it not too late?
I tried in my teens and didn’t get anywhere.
Bought another aged 55 and it wasn’t long before I could knock tunes out. What had changed in those years? YouTube it’s full of videos showing you how to play whatever style you wish.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

jazzkitten wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:07pm Hey guitarists! How are you now? I want to strat playing now guitar but idk if it is worth it to start playing at 35. Is it not too late?
There are quite a few instruments in the guitar family, or should that be there are quite a few instruments in the lute family including the classical six string guitar. Some of those lute family instruments are easier to play than others …

Any instrument worth playing has its challenges but application, perseverance and practise help a lot; talent helps but even the talented have to practise. Thirty five isn’t old for learning an instrument for pleasure; don’t expect too much of yourself, give it a go and be pleased with whatever you manage.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Carlton green wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 9:09pm ...talent helps but even the talented have to practise.
I have a friend who's a really good pianist. From time to time people tell him how lucky he is to have such a talent. His response: "Yeah, the more I practice, the luckier I get."
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jazzkitten wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:07pm I want to strat playing now guitar but ...
This must be in the Top Ten of Freudian Typos :) :!:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

All I’m saying is there’s a shed load of great yt channels on every style of playing, so even if you’re as resoundlingly bad at playing as I am, you can absolutely have great fun trying, in the privacy of your own home. Plus there are hundreds of decent guitars out there on fb marketplace at bargainateous prices suitable for learners.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)