iOS13 & iPadOS13

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe
Posts: 10571
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Psamathe » 26 Sep 2019, 12:18am

I waited for 13.1 before loading it but, good grief it's full of bugs. Apple's bits that is. Spent too long this evening filling in Apple bug reports. And what is more annoying is that superficial testing reveals the bugs really easily. It's not in obscure hidden away bits but in blindingly obvious things used everywhere
E.g. clicking on a link to an element id in a web page (as used by this forum to link to new posts on a thread, as used by web sites everywhere). With the link preview enabled (as it is by default) the id in the link is ignored and the page loads to the top of page.

Complete rubbish testing and it's the release that's meant to be fixed.

Ian

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46722
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Mick F » 26 Sep 2019, 8:01am

Both our iPhones and our iPad are at the max software updates they can have.
ios 10.10.3 :D
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo
Posts: 593
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby philvantwo » 26 Sep 2019, 8:06am

Time to put yours in in the washing machine Mick F? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#FF0000][/color]

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 306
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Pastychomper » 26 Sep 2019, 10:00am

Three dead trolls in a baggie wrote:it was slow, it was buggy, so they wrote it again,
And now they're up to OS Ten,
They'll charge you for the beta then charge you again
But the Mac OS still sucks.

--Every OS Sucks

One of the marks of a true classic is it continues to be relevant. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

iandriver
Posts: 2172
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby iandriver » 26 Sep 2019, 11:06am

Mobile Safari does seem to have a lot of changes. I'm having nightmares here at work with a web app that we produce. It's busted in all sorts of ways.

Most notably, the user agent string is no longer identifying as a mobile, this has had a huge knock on effect for us. All sorts of flags are no longer getting passed through. Request desktop version of websites now seems to be enabled by default.

It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.
Last edited by iandriver on 26 Sep 2019, 11:14am, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1914
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Sep 2019, 11:12am

Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.
John

Cycling and recycling

Psamathe
Posts: 10571
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Psamathe » 26 Sep 2019, 11:19am

iandriver wrote:Mobile Safari does seem to have a lot of changes. I'm having nightmares here at work with a web app that we produce. It's busted in all sorts of ways.

Most notably, the user agent string is no longer identifying as a mobile, this has had a huge knock on effect for us. All sorts of flags are no longer getting passed through. Request desktop version of websites now seems to be enabled by default.

It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.

Check the Preferences->Safari settings as on my iPad the "Settings For Websites" option to "Request Desktop Site" had automatically changed to On for all web sites. I never set that (as I always kept switching to desktop site individually for specific web sites through the share menu - I was not even aware of it as an option). I was surprised when I noticed my iPad getting desktop sites for Wikipedia yesterday (when it previously always got mobile versions) and searched and found that setting had either appeared (if it's a new setting) or been switched on by the upgrade (if an old setting).

iPhone has the setting off by default so whatever switched it on was iPadOS only.

Ian

Psamathe
Posts: 10571
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Psamathe » 26 Sep 2019, 11:27am

Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian

iandriver
Posts: 2172
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby iandriver » 26 Sep 2019, 12:22pm

Psamathe wrote:
iandriver wrote:It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.



iPhone has the setting off by default so whatever switched it on was iPadOS only.

Ian


I think Apple is trying to push iPads as PC replacements rather than a companion to a PC, hence they are trying to shift people onto the desktop view to try and align the experience. Driving me nuts.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1914
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Sep 2019, 1:51pm

Psamathe wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian



I realise it is not Apple. But Apple charges so excessively to get new kit.
John

Cycling and recycling

Psamathe
Posts: 10571
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Psamathe » 26 Sep 2019, 2:05pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian



I realise it is not Apple. But Apple charges so excessively to get new kit.

There are arguments on both sides and a lot depends on specific hardware. My first SmartPhone was a new Android based one and the processor was desperately feeble to the point where it would have been redundant for many apps within the year (and thus a waste of money).

Much depends on what you want to do. For example I recently purchased a new MacBook but only because recent travel generated so many photos the laptop storage was inadequate. My old laptop (7 years old now and what I'm typing on now) continues to be fine, will support the next OS to be released soon, etc. (gives it over another year full support). I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.).

My previous phone (iPhone) is being used by another family member and is 6 years old (had a new battery). Happily running iOS12 but wont take iOS13 which means it has a year and some support from most apps. So it will make 7 years before starting to be "difficult".

Ian

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 885
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby 100%JR » 27 Sep 2019, 9:32am

I never update when the update is new.
I'm still using IOS12.4 with no issues.Once my iPhone prompts me to update I'll leave it a couple of weeks before updating.Usually the updates are fine then.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is banned,,,Boooo!!.

kwackers
Posts: 13686
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby kwackers » 27 Sep 2019, 10:35am

Psamathe wrote:I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.)

A lot is luck, we've a stack of Apple gear here in the corner that doesn't work.
My Macbook Pro has a video fault it's had since the year dot that Apple couldn't fix and denied existed (despite 'lots' of folk online having the same issue).
At some point in its life the bootloader decided it would no longer boot as a mac but amusingly it boots into windows no problem.
It is now 9 years old mind.

My previous laptop was a Dell, it lasted until it hadn't got the get up and go to get up and go, I wore the lettering off most of the keys and broke the cd mech by sitting on it.
Still works though.
OTOH a guy here paid for an absolute top of the range Dell and has had nothing but problems with it.

Psamathe
Posts: 10571
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby Psamathe » 27 Sep 2019, 10:52am

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.)

A lot is luck, we've a stack of Apple gear here in the corner that doesn't work.
My Macbook Pro has a video fault it's had since the year dot that Apple couldn't fix and denied existed (despite 'lots' of folk online having the same issue).
.....

Your experience contrasts with my own. I'm no Apple fan (I would not have started a thread critical of their iOS/iPadOS if I were one of the "Apple can do no wrong" crowd). Anecdotal (personal experience) but I've always found Apple support very good, even when kit is way out of warranty. Several years ago an OS update introduced a bug in the Wi-Fi drivers (stood out clear an anything an uninitialised memory issue). Wi-Fi drivers on boot would not connect if the password was more than a certain length (but you could then manually connect). My MacBook was over 3 years old but Apple provided support and decided to blame the Wi-Fi card. I explained they were wrong but they "knew better" so they changed the Wi-Fi card FOC. Of course it made no difference so they reported it as a bug and it got fixed. But I was impressed they didn't start any "it's out of warranty".

I've had several cases where I've pursued bugs/faults with Apple on way out of warranty kit and they've never done the "it's out of warranty" and always provided excellent support. I guess if you've a stack of machines you are business so maybe a difference between retail (me) and business (yourself)?

I've been surprised about how these days companies seem to be much hotter on support. I recently reported a bad Excel bug to Microsoft expecting it to take 5 mins in a queue to be "we've made a note" but ended up with them spending 2 hrs going through their diagnosis through screen sharing, escalation level 2, level 3, identified as a bug, and now they are calling me every few days with updates and to check I'm "happy" (probably checking I'm not posting critical reviews all over the internet). And their online staff support area want to take the ticket number to provide a monitor to double check things progress.

Ian

rjb
Posts: 3448
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Postby rjb » 28 Sep 2019, 8:29pm

Psamathe wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian


I like the BBC iPlayer radio app. It still lets me download radio programmes like just a minute. The BBC sounds app fails to download this programme but works to download others. :?: This is on a Lenovo tab 7 which is only 2 years old. When I downloaded the sounds app it stated it may not be optimised for my machine. Is the pace of technology change such that equipment is now effectively landfill after 2 years or less in my case. :shock:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D