iOS13 & iPadOS13

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

iOS13 & iPadOS13

Post by Psamathe »

I waited for 13.1 before loading it but, good grief it's full of bugs. Apple's bits that is. Spent too long this evening filling in Apple bug reports. And what is more annoying is that superficial testing reveals the bugs really easily. It's not in obscure hidden away bits but in blindingly obvious things used everywhere
E.g. clicking on a link to an element id in a web page (as used by this forum to link to new posts on a thread, as used by web sites everywhere). With the link preview enabled (as it is by default) the id in the link is ignored and the page loads to the top of page.

Complete rubbish testing and it's the release that's meant to be fixed.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Post by Mick F »

Both our iPhones and our iPad are at the max software updates they can have.
ios 10.10.3 :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Time to put yours in in the washing machine Mick F? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Three dead trolls in a baggie wrote:it was slow, it was buggy, so they wrote it again,
And now they're up to OS Ten,
They'll charge you for the beta then charge you again
But the Mac OS still sucks.

--Every OS Sucks

One of the marks of a true classic is it continues to be relevant. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mobile Safari does seem to have a lot of changes. I'm having nightmares here at work with a web app that we produce. It's busted in all sorts of ways.

Most notably, the user agent string is no longer identifying as a mobile, this has had a huge knock on effect for us. All sorts of flags are no longer getting passed through. Request desktop version of websites now seems to be enabled by default.

It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.
Last edited by iandriver on 26 Sep 2019, 11:14am, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

iandriver wrote:Mobile Safari does seem to have a lot of changes. I'm having nightmares here at work with a web app that we produce. It's busted in all sorts of ways.

Most notably, the user agent string is no longer identifying as a mobile, this has had a huge knock on effect for us. All sorts of flags are no longer getting passed through. Request desktop version of websites now seems to be enabled by default.

It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.

Check the Preferences->Safari settings as on my iPad the "Settings For Websites" option to "Request Desktop Site" had automatically changed to On for all web sites. I never set that (as I always kept switching to desktop site individually for specific web sites through the share menu - I was not even aware of it as an option). I was surprised when I noticed my iPad getting desktop sites for Wikipedia yesterday (when it previously always got mobile versions) and searched and found that setting had either appeared (if it's a new setting) or been switched on by the upgrade (if an old setting).

iPhone has the setting off by default so whatever switched it on was iPadOS only.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Psamathe wrote:
iandriver wrote:It seems they want iPads to behave far more like desktops.

iPhone has the setting off by default so whatever switched it on was iPadOS only.

Ian

I think Apple is trying to push iPads as PC replacements rather than a companion to a PC, hence they are trying to shift people onto the desktop view to try and align the experience. Driving me nuts.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Psamathe wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

BBC Radio iPlayer app/service has been closed by the BBC (or will be closed within a few days). Nothing to do with Apple. All apps on all platforms tend to only support a limited number of older operating systems - mainly because new Operating system introduce new features and apps need to use those features to stay competitive and maintaining old versions for long term represents a significant cost. Same applies to Apple and Android platforms. Apple actually seem to keep security updates going for an amazingly long time after the OS has become very out-of-date. I recently started up on old MacBook 12 years old and there were security updates for it!

Ian

I realise it is not Apple. But Apple charges so excessively to get new kit.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I realise it is not Apple. But Apple charges so excessively to get new kit.

There are arguments on both sides and a lot depends on specific hardware. My first SmartPhone was a new Android based one and the processor was desperately feeble to the point where it would have been redundant for many apps within the year (and thus a waste of money).

Much depends on what you want to do. For example I recently purchased a new MacBook but only because recent travel generated so many photos the laptop storage was inadequate. My old laptop (7 years old now and what I'm typing on now) continues to be fine, will support the next OS to be released soon, etc. (gives it over another year full support). I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.).

My previous phone (iPhone) is being used by another family member and is 6 years old (had a new battery). Happily running iOS12 but wont take iOS13 which means it has a year and some support from most apps. So it will make 7 years before starting to be "difficult".

Ian
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I never update when the update is new.
I'm still using IOS12.4 with no issues.Once my iPhone prompts me to update I'll leave it a couple of weeks before updating.Usually the updates are fine then.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.)

A lot is luck, we've a stack of Apple gear here in the corner that doesn't work.
My Macbook Pro has a video fault it's had since the year dot that Apple couldn't fix and denied existed (despite 'lots' of folk online having the same issue).
At some point in its life the bootloader decided it would no longer boot as a mac but amusingly it boots into windows no problem.
It is now 9 years old mind.

My previous laptop was a Dell, it lasted until it hadn't got the get up and go to get up and go, I wore the lettering off most of the keys and broke the cd mech by sitting on it.
Still works though.
OTOH a guy here paid for an absolute top of the range Dell and has had nothing but problems with it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I've never had a Windows based laptop last anything like that though also don't think one is really considering like with like (cost, build quality, etc.)

A lot is luck, we've a stack of Apple gear here in the corner that doesn't work.
My Macbook Pro has a video fault it's had since the year dot that Apple couldn't fix and denied existed (despite 'lots' of folk online having the same issue).

Your experience contrasts with my own. I'm no Apple fan (I would not have started a thread critical of their iOS/iPadOS if I were one of the "Apple can do no wrong" crowd). Anecdotal (personal experience) but I've always found Apple support very good, even when kit is way out of warranty. Several years ago an OS update introduced a bug in the Wi-Fi drivers (stood out clear an anything an uninitialised memory issue). Wi-Fi drivers on boot would not connect if the password was more than a certain length (but you could then manually connect). My MacBook was over 3 years old but Apple provided support and decided to blame the Wi-Fi card. I explained they were wrong but they "knew better" so they changed the Wi-Fi card FOC. Of course it made no difference so they reported it as a bug and it got fixed. But I was impressed they didn't start any "it's out of warranty".

I've had several cases where I've pursued bugs/faults with Apple on way out of warranty kit and they've never done the "it's out of warranty" and always provided excellent support. I guess if you've a stack of machines you are business so maybe a difference between retail (me) and business (yourself)?

I've been surprised about how these days companies seem to be much hotter on support. I recently reported a bad Excel bug to Microsoft expecting it to take 5 mins in a queue to be "we've made a note" but ended up with them spending 2 hrs going through their diagnosis through screen sharing, escalation level 2, level 3, identified as a bug, and now they are calling me every few days with updates and to check I'm "happy" (probably checking I'm not posting critical reviews all over the internet). And their online staff support area want to take the ticket number to provide a monitor to double check things progress.

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I like the BBC iPlayer radio app. It still lets me download radio programmes like just a minute. The BBC sounds app fails to download this programme but works to download others. :?: This is on a Lenovo tab 7 which is only 2 years old. When I downloaded the sounds app it stated it may not be optimised for my machine. Is the pace of technology change such that equipment is now effectively landfill after 2 years or less in my case. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D