antisocial parking the norm?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

antisocial parking the norm?

Post by 661-Pete »

Couldn't help but snap this in our local supermarket car park this morning:
Photo0247 antisocial parking.jpg

...completely blocking access to the motorcycle designated area. Admittedly the driver only left the car there for a few minutes: she appeared just after I took the photo. I felt like having 'words' with her but what's the point? - besides, as you can see, it was pouring with rain and I wasn't hanging about any longer!

My comment, is this now normal behaviour for a sector of our society? Part of the 'I'm alright Jack' culture (as I think I mentioned earlier)?

What other examples can you put forward?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Re: antisocial parking the norm?

Post by mjr »

One local supermarket regularly has its "pick-up point" full of parked cars. Sometimes the adjacent bus stop too, much to the annoyance of the bus drivers. At another, people routinely block access to/from the disabled parking spaces while they or a passenger use adjacent cash points. I probably have pictures on video footage but please excuse me not fishing them out. I'd rather spend my time on motorists blocking cycling, rather than other motorists.

However, bad shop parkers are a minority, so that doesn't make it "the norm" or, as I'd prefer to say, commonplace. It's the almost ubiquitous pavement parkers which make antisocial parking commonplace. It's regarded as fine to [rude word removed] walkers over as long as you leave a tiny crack for them to squeeze past - it's more important that one's precious piece of metalwork is further out of the way of other incompetent drivers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Those with shiny new cars often use “parent and child” spaces as these are wider and their nice new toy less likely to get cosmetic damage.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, parking in supermarket car parks :roll:

When I was working I'd often call into Tesco early doors for bits and bobs for work and even with the car park empty most male drivers (with no one else in the car or van) would head straight for the mother and toddler spaces with the disabled bays as their second choice.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Size of spaces is no problem for me? My shoes are only size 9 :lol: :lol: :lol: . One kind of "Food Miles" that is good for us. MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh dear Pete, you have lost points with me for shopping at W :wink:
Please to explain what is 'super' about large food stores
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What sort of driver parks their car and doesn't park their wipers properly?

Unforgivable! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh dear Pete, you have lost points with me for shopping at W :wink:
Give me an alternative or dock me points (send me down to the 4th division if you must...). We have W, Tesco and Lidl, and we shop at all three. There are no small grocers left. A few newsagents, but they hardly stock what we want.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I once came out of my local supermarket to see a large white van on the crosshatched area which meant it was blocking drivers views to safely leave the parking bays. It was very common and a source of considerable vehicle strife and I had a bit of a thing about it and had challenged folk in the past.

On the occasion in question I then immediately bumped into a good acquaintance and his wife and mother.
I said, "hey, just look at that antisocial buttockhole parked there"

And then realised it was my acquaintances' van.!!! :shock: :shock:

We are still friendly,
And he never parks there now!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I cycle some extra kms to lidl and the cheap wholefood store
Criminal parking is the norm in my leafy suburb, although there is plenty of room, grr :(

I dislike w because it was allowed to open a new store in a very cramped place right near a perfectly good Somerfield (that is now a Wilkos, minusplus?)

Is the John Lewis Partnership a Good Thing? Is w particularly expensive? Used to look expensive, I thought :?
The pithead bath is a 'super'market now
(Max Boyce) :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We have massive problems with a local Car Boot Sale.

Every inch of the grass areas, pavement and road are filled with antisocial car parking.

The School puts out cones, that are simply moved by the drivers and park there anyway.

We have now started a campaign of photographing them and placing them on the Car Boot Sale's website.

The Council refuses to act as the CBS is unlicensed, and they refuse to classify it as a 'Market"

Police will not act as "Parking is a civil matter" and Gosport does not have parking patrols on a Sunday
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I once came out of my local supermarket to see a large white van on the crosshatched area which meant it was blocking drivers views to safely leave the parking bays. It was very common and a source of considerable vehicle strife and I had a bit of a thing about it and had challenged folk in the past.

On the occasion in question I then immediately bumped into a good acquaintance and his wife and mother.
I said, "hey, just look at that antisocial buttockhole parked there"

And then realised it was my acquaintances' van.!!! :shock: :shock:

We are still friendly,
And he never parks there now!

Once wound up a driver in Tesco!

BMW X5 abandoned across the back of the cars in the disabled bays. Spoke to Security, and apparently the woman was a regular

Quick "Public Service Announcement" on the tannoy

Would the owner of the Grey BMW XXX YYY, please report to Customer Services, your car is inconsiderately blocking several disabled bays"

The woman storms up demanding to see a manager in order to complain and inciting an audience who were NOT sympathetic. The round of applause as she had to move the car was brilliant
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh dear Pete, you have lost points with me for shopping at W :wink:

He's waiting for the store to close so he can search the bins :mrgreen:

My local store has a pedestrian walk way outside store and cars commonly park across so they can pick up partner mostly when it's raining, one day I will be less than careful where my trolley goes :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Josh Guys & Lasses, This thread has got me all nostalgic, mentally walking back through time?
Who recalls the first "Supermarket" when it invaded their local community? I recall that it was a red letter day in Liverpool when the Garston & District Co-operative Society opened the new concept in the "Shopping Experience"! Long had we gone into the Co-op shop stood in line waiting for someone to come and serve s, very few items with reach of the customer, no involvement in selecting un-bruised fruit etc!
The new concept shop opened with neat trollies there in which to load the stuff you personally selected a you went around, how novel. Still had to have staff do the hands on stuff in certain areas, wouldn't let us near the bacon slicer, because of course your streaky or middle cut was still coming as half a pig. Pre-pack was years away!
It was opened in what I think was a redundant small cinema, steps in and out, so the trolley stayed in store. Car parking? You're having a laugh! We still carried the shopping home in good old fashioned purpose mad shopping bags (Wot, No Plastic Bags?).
Car Park????? :lol: :lol: :lol: , it was in a narrow side street directly opposite a Police Station & Fire station (No big fire engines then).
This was in the mid 1950's, folk still took a walk and would stop & chat, us kids brassed off with verbose mum! Please turn back the clock :) . MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I remember our first-ever "self-service store" as I think it was called back then. In the 1950s. It was run by Tesco, believe it or not. No trolleys, only baskets, two aisles, single (manual) checkout, mostly non-perishable foods. But it was quite a novelty. Those were the days when our local Sainsbury's was counter service only. If you bought eggs at Sainsbury's, the assistant would count them out individually then put them in a paper bag for you. Getting them home without breakage was quite an achievement!