The tories priorities?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

The tories priorities?

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Sep 2019, 8:43am

As set out by one Javid:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49872190
Chancellor Sajid Javid has promised £25bn for England's roads as well as £5bn for ultrafast broadband in some of the UK's "hardest to reach parts".
So much for any commitment to combating climate change, then! :evil: Where's the investment in public transport? (and don't spout "HS2" at me!). And who really needs that "ultra-fast" broadband? I don't. All it's doing is turning our population into couch potatoes.

All this besides that other business which I won't mention here, which is going to cost xillions whatever....

We all need to get out more. And Javid needs to get a life... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

brynpoeth

Re: The tories priorities?

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Sep 2019, 8:52am

I thought this was about poetry, 'The tories priorities' almost rhymes :wink:

Which parts of rUK are hard to reach?

Javid showed great public spirit when he took a 90% pay cut to join the May regime
Last edited by brynpoeth on 30 Sep 2019, 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 30 Sep 2019, 9:00am

Boris Johnson Share Priorities 23-07-19 (1).png
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 30 Sep 2019, 9:16am

And who really needs that "ultra-fast" broadband? I don't.

Well I do for one, because I would be able to work from home instead of having to commute weekly to the big smoke, staying in a crappy but ridiculously expensive rented room.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 30 Sep 2019, 9:29am

al_yrpal wrote:Boris Johnson Share Priorities 23-07-19 (1).png

Ha ha - you believe him! What happens to turkey who are told they will have lots of nice corn until at least a certain date? Not only do they get dross to nibble instead, whilst confined in a dirty hot cage with a few thousand other naive birds, but when the certain date arrives ......

Boris, as we know, will say anything at all to get his way. What he says and what he does are far, far apart. But will the daft Tory birds still vote for his nice promises? Of course! Put those promises on the side of a big red bus and they will believe even harder.

Gobble-gobble.

Cugel

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 30 Sep 2019, 9:36am

Not getting caught
Protecting their jobs
Self-enrichment
Not getting caught
Protecting their backers and benefactors
Setting up a few directorships for after they get bounced out
Not getting caught
Preserving the Party
Hanging on to that villa in Tuscany
Not getting caught
Getting a decent tan every summer
Keeping their constituents content
Serving their country (up to the highest bidder if necessary)
Paying lip-service to all that pious crap about the environment (as long as it doesn't imperil revenue)

Oh - and not getting caught
Last edited by Audax67 on 30 Sep 2019, 9:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Sep 2019, 9:39am

£25 billion for roads.
£270 million on buses.
Nothing on cycling.

Sustainable transport and the climate crisis are not Tory priorities.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Sep 2019, 9:40am

Look at Austria, democracy seems to be working there, sort of, creates complicated situations where one is obliged to talk to ones enemies

Plus One too for young dynamic leaders, which British politrickian might emulate Kurz (*1986)?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 30 Sep 2019, 9:44am

Cugel, I just posted it I never said I believed it. Once again we see someone trying to put words in others mouths.

I award you the foot in mouth award :lol: Al

foot-inmouthaward-1-638.jpg
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 30 Sep 2019, 9:49am

brynpoeth wrote:Look at Austria, democracy seems to be working there, sort of, creates complicated situations where one is obliged to talk to ones enemies

Plus One too for young dynamic leaders, which British politrickian might emulate Kurz (*1986)?

Plus one hundred.

Just where are the young, dynamic leaders coming from? All parties seem to be failing on both counts.

Although in order not to be ageist I'll settle for dynamic from just about any age right now. I just prefer the leaders to have a long time living with what they do hence a mild preference for younger leaders making the important decisions.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 30 Sep 2019, 10:02am

Mike Sales wrote:£25 billion for roads.
£270 million on buses.
Nothing on cycling.

Don't forget his tax cuts.

First thing you need to do is disentangle the amount promised with the amount already due to be spent anyway, chuck in some inflationary adjustments etc and you'll often find there's nothing new in there.
When there is something new, just remember it's nothing more than a promise. Once you take into account the currently under-performing economy, any brexit 'hit' and all the other nonsense the truth is no party is in a position to promise anything.
The next several years are going to be one of firefighting rather than building.

The good news is that a downturn also equates to less consumption - doubly so if we're trading under WTO tariffs - although there was also mention of having no import tariffs which still works because it almost certainly means our economy will need to stall until we're competitive even with the tariffs other add to our exports.

For us at least we could be entering a golden age of environmentalism.
Good job woodburners are popular, who'd have thought they'd become a necessity!

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 30 Sep 2019, 10:19am

Getting re-elected :roll:
"42"

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Sep 2019, 10:21am

kwackers wrote:Don't forget his tax cuts.

First thing you need to do is disentangle the amount promised with the amount already due to be spent anyway, chuck in some inflationary adjustments etc and you'll often find there's nothing new in there.
When there is something new, just remember it's nothing more than a promise. Once you take into account the currently under-performing economy, any brexit 'hit' and all the other nonsense the truth is no party is in a position to promise anything.
The next several years are going to be one of firefighting rather than building.

The good news is that a downturn also equates to less consumption - doubly so if we're trading under WTO tariffs - although there was also mention of having no import tariffs which still works because it almost certainly means our economy will need to stall until we're competitive even with the tariffs other add to our exports.

You make good points, but I fear that the roads will be a real priority.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Sep 2019, 10:23am

kwackers wrote:Don't forget his tax cuts.

You make good points, but I fear that the roads will be a real priority.
Even if the promised money were put into bus services it would not restore the cuts made already.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 30 Sep 2019, 10:27am

Mike Sales wrote:£25 billion for roads.
£270 million on buses.
Nothing on cycling.

and still not removing the upper ceiling on eg housing benefit? Thatcher killed off social housing, Osborne made it very difficult for the poor to rent , result homelessness
Last edited by mercalia on 30 Sep 2019, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.