Tree identification.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Tree identification.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Could it be a type of American Sorbus species? My dad replaced 8 poplar trees with a few Rowan and an American sorbus. Both small habit and with less disruptive roots.

Btw tree roots aren't always as you might expect. The poplar tends to root uphill with shorter roots the other way. That certainly was the case with the 8x 30 year old poplars at my parents. Downhill was 2 metres from a retaining wall to a road below and no root was ever seen showing through that wall. Plenty of roots passed the other way uphill. Very long roots at that.

Don't take advice from here, consult a good expert. Btw you could ask the local council tree expert. My parents did that and got planning permission to chop the poplars down on the back of the visit. Tree protection area.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I would say it's a whitebeam but what would I know :lol:
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

bogmyrtle wrote:I would say it's a whitebeam but what would I know :lol:

Presumably not a bog Myrtle :)
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote:Don't take advice from here, consult a good expert. Btw you could ask the local council tree expert. My parents did that and got planning permission to chop the poplars down on the back of the visit. Tree protection area.

Local council tree officers are really only interested in council trees or those with a TPO (as you mentioned). Managing privately owned trees is up to the owner. It seems a bit harsh but local tree officers are usually responsible for thousands of trees already, they don't do private calls.

If you need an expert look for an arborist or arboricultural consultant. They will charge to write a report, but therefore they don't survive on the basis of quoting for tree surgery. Many people will have had unnecessary work done because the tree surgeon needed to pick up more work. That's not to denigrate tree surgeons, most are well qualified, know their business and will give an honest opinion.... but...