World's ugliest insect?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

World's ugliest insect?

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Oct 2019, 4:53pm

Came across this whilst browsing the New Scientist today - and felt like sharing the piccy! :twisted:
Don't be too alarmed! The female is only 1.3 to 2.6mm long, the male smaller. It's called the Crypt-Keeper Wasp, Euderus set and its habits are pretty off-putting too - apparently it not only lays its eggs inside gall wasp larvae, but the emerging grub then takes control of the mind of its host, ordering it to chew its way out of the gall but not quite, then to stick its head in the hole. The parasite then chews its own way out through the head of its host. Yuck!

And there I go thinking that blowfly maggots are the most disgusting creatures on our planet.... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

PDQ Mobile

Re: World's ugliest insect?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 5 Oct 2019, 5:13pm

Here's another fascinating adaption.
Parallel evolution too.
The Mole Cricket!
I had always wanted to see one and this fella emerged from a Continental child's sandpit!
It's 2 or 3 inches long.
Powerful too.

image.jpg
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 5 Oct 2019, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Oct 2019, 5:13pm

ungliest? how do you make that out . all those pretty colours

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Oct 2019, 5:25pm

Takes control of the mind of its host, is that the Spindoctor Insect? :wink:
Some fascinating insects live in caves, in complete darkness, have no eyes, cannae interbreed with other populations

Why do you love insects?
Last edited by brynpoeth on 5 Oct 2019, 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

RickH

Postby RickH » 5 Oct 2019, 5:26pm

I don't think this is the same but a related wasp - I think it looks quite spectacular

Linked from this BBC article - Wasps: If you can't love them, at least admire them

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Oct 2019, 5:27pm

mercalia wrote:ungliest? how do you make that out . all those pretty colours
OK but I'm going by the shape... and its habits!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Oct 2019, 5:29pm

brynpoeth wrote:Takes control of the mind of its host, is that the Spindoctor Insect? :wink:
I think it should be called the B****t wasp then (*shhhhhh!*).

RickH

Postby RickH » 5 Oct 2019, 5:33pm

The picture I posted is Ampulex compressa, sometimes called the jewel wasp. Here is a description form the article I linked to on how it deals with cockroaches

...first inject some powerful neurotoxins directly into its brain. This will make the bug compliant; it won't try to fly away and will bend to your will.

Second, slice off one of its antennae and drink the goo that comes out. For snack purposes, you understand.

And then lead it off to your lair by the stump, like a dog on a leash. You're going to bury this zombie in a hole in the ground.

But just before you close up the tomb, lay an egg on the bug. Your progeny can have the joy of eating it alive.

:twisted: :twisted:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Oct 2019, 5:41pm

I am scared of big black beetles*, 2-3 cm long, some of them have perfectly rounded backs, they may be unable to right themselves if they turn over
Is there a reason for that?

* might they be scared of me?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 5 Oct 2019, 6:40pm

661-Pete wrote:(snip)

And there I go thinking that blowfly maggots are the most disgusting creatures on our planet.... :shock:

Is that you anthropomorphising with the insects? Must they all be nice, perhaps even going to the chapel to confess their sins? I doubt they can be redeemed, even if offered ripe Victoria plums in which to become drunk and less aggressive than is their wont.

Mind, I do feel a disgust for some humans who behave like parasitic wasps. This is based on the fact they are humans, like you and me, but prefer to act the wasp. Some are also WASPs. There's a big one just now in No.10; and a huge nasty one in that White House. See them inject their victims with memetic fluids enabling them to control the mind of the victims, before sucking all the political pus-juice out of them.

Cugel

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Oct 2019, 7:20pm

I think you've got me there, Cugel. :oops: You're quite right of course....