Beeps

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Beeps

Postby reohn2 » 6 Oct 2019, 9:36am

djnotts wrote:First world problem. So many worse things about which to worry.

Very many!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Oct 2019, 10:01am

Mick F wrote:I was at a cashpoint ATM yesterday. Beep Beep Beep every single time I pressed a button.

Supermarket checkouts beep. Card readers beep. My phone beeps. My computer beeps at times. The washing machine beeps. The microwave beeps. The landline phone beeps. My Garmins have always beeped. The car beeps when I open the door or reverse.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I'm fed up with the beeps!

SHUT UP BEEPING!

But when you use a supermarket checkout till card machine that does not beep on keypresses it's surprising how easy it is to make errors in your PIN (not pressing a key properly to register).

I prefer a beep as they scan each product (as I have spotted things being scanned twice before - accident NOT fraud) but the beep tells you).

Ian

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Oct 2019, 10:10am

You're all missing my point. It's not the noise, it's what the noise is, and they all seem the same..

Why a beep?
Why not some other noise?
Why not a click when you press a key?
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Oct 2019, 10:19am

Mick F wrote:You're all missing my point. It's not the noise, it's what the noise is, and they all seem the same..

Why a beep?

If it was a click and had always been a click from day one,would not that be annoying you by now?

Theory:-
Perhaps it's been proven that the beep sound can be heard by the most people across the hearing spectrum,eg; people who are hearing impaired in one from or another.
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Oct 2019, 10:23am

reohn2 wrote:If it was a click and had always been a click from day one,would not that be annoying you by now?
Probably, but my point is why are they all the same?

I doubt it has anything to do with hearing impairment. It's more likely a cost issue. Beepers are ubiquitous and cheap ......... and all made in China.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Oct 2019, 10:24am

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If it was a click and had always been a click from day one,would not that be annoying you by now?
Probably, but my point is why are they all the same?

I doubt it has anything to do with hearing impairment. It's more likely a cost issue. Beepers are ubiquitous and cheap ......... and all made in China.

I give up.
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Oct 2019, 10:26am

:lol: :lol:
I'm having a cuppa.
The kettle didn't beep.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Oct 2019, 10:33am

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:
I'm having a cuppa.
The kettle didn't beep.

It most likely clicked! :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 6 Oct 2019, 10:39am

djnotts wrote:First world problem. So many worse things about which to worry.

You've been on here long enough to realise Mick doesn't live in the first world surely?

I have a mental image of someone with skin like an old leather saddlebag. His little house hemmed in by decades of tree growth, spending the day in his 'woods' cutting firewood and checking the traps for rabbit and the occasional lost sheep.
Nipping over the fence at night into the lords manor for the occasional bit of pheasant. Trawling the roads on his bicycle for useful bits of detritus and watching suspiciously as those horseless carriages whizz pass.
Spends the evening fashioning mudguards from old pans and making rivets from old nails...

Could be wrong of course, but that's the impression he gives. :wink:

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 6 Oct 2019, 11:08am

Mick F wrote:You're all missing my point. It's not the noise, it's what the noise is, and they all seem the same..

Why a beep?

Cheap sine-wave generator. Beep-beep is cheep-cheep, as in electronic chicken.

It's doorbells that get me, though, the dIng-dong ones as in Avon calling. Ours dingdongs, most of my chums' do, and every misbegotten doorbell on TV does too. Used to be that our dogs would bark at the TV variety, but since they got used to it they don't bother barking at ours, which is a bind since this is a big house, the bell doesn't penetrate and we rely on their superior hearing to stand in for a relay.

Now, about car door-locks. Our cars don't beep. None of the cars we have ever owned has beeped. Go stand in a supermarket car park and listen as people lock their doors: no beeps. Yet every single car in every US TV series beeps (although some of them emit a sort-of strangled yodel, like Toni falling off the Eiger). We have just watched a Flemish crime serial in which the cars all beeped, even though they were EU models that don't. Dubbed in for the US? What is it with these people?

BTW, I had to open a lifeless tablet the other week to change the battery, and noticed that the vibrator is a tiny electric motor with an eccentric weight on the shaft. Ain't that nice? Now when the tablet goes brrrrrrk I can imagine that minuscule wee thing in there, spinning its head off in the dark. Seems a bit cruel, somehow.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Oct 2019, 1:22pm

The thread on the Toyota forum is getting sympathy.
https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums ... nt-1512212

Take a small screwdriver to the thing! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Oct 2019, 1:34pm

A support for beeps.
I do wish all car indicators had an audible beep,and which increased in volume over the car radio at whatever volume the radio is turn up to.
I cycle therefore I am.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 6 Oct 2019, 1:52pm

The indicators on our 1968 Citroën Dyane made a friendly click-clock noise. When we "graduated" to a Passat I missed the sound so for a while I made it myself.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Oct 2019, 7:33pm

Click clock is nice.
Beeps are not nice ....... unless they vary a bit from one equipment to another.
Mick F. Cornwall

Pastychomper

Postby Pastychomper » 8 Oct 2019, 1:17pm

Audax67 wrote:It's doorbells that get me, though, the dIng-dong ones as in Avon calling. Ours dingdongs, most of my chums' do, and every misbegotten doorbell on TV does too...

Over twenty years ago I worked with someone who had been a member of a glee club somewhere in Usia. Every now and then we'd hear that kind of doorbell, and he'd tell me the tone reminded him of the first two notes in a well-known Pentecostal-style song.

Now I work in a place where we're required to get a ding-dong on the way out. Every day I walk along the corridor with "Swing low, sweet chariot...." going through my head.

Really, it's enough to drive one round the bend. Almost enough to persuade one to learn the rest of the song.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot