Diplomatic Immunity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Tangled Metal » 15 Oct 2019, 4:44pm

I had a Jewish mate at university, not that you'd know it. He'd be packed off to university with a hamper if homemade kosher food. Once at university he'd be eating bacon bottles and his favourite pizza Hawaiian with the ham on it.

But come time to go home he got picked up by parents and became kosher again. I think he used to give most of the hamper away because he didn't like the kosher meals.

661-Pete

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby 661-Pete » 15 Oct 2019, 5:38pm

You'd be surprised at how many different interpretations of "kosher" there are amongst not-so-observant Jews. Possibly my parental home was unique in its inconsistency? Very early in life, I must have learnt that pork was taboo - but I didn't yet know that bacon was a form of pork, so there I was tucking into a Full English at a B&B - until my father stopped me! And I had no idea that meat had to be 'kosher' - that is, slaughtered in accordance with shechita - until I was taught about it in cheder (Jewish religion lessons). My mother would buy the meat from Sainsbury's (hardly kosher, that!) except on a few special occasions; then my father would intervene, and insist that the meat had to be koshered: that is, soaked in water for half an hour, then sprinkled with salt and left for an hour, before cooking.

All this was utterly inconsistent!

On top of that my father insisted on meat-and-milk separation - up to a point. We had to have separate plates and cutlery for meat and milk - but my father didn't mind if we had both at the same meal. I shan't waste time explaining what's wrong here!

Oh and to cap it all - my father was extremely fond of crab-meat. Once again, look it up under Jewish dietary laws...

Today? Mrs P (who's non-Jewish) and I don't eat any meat, whether kosher, halal, or neither. At least that's consistent! But we eat plenty of seafood: crab, shrimps, mussels, etc. That's a violation of Jewish laws....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).