Diplomatic Immunity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11495
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2019, 10:51am

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab wrote to Mr Dunn's family on Saturday to explain both the British and US governments now considered Mrs Sacoolas' immunity irrelevant.

yes but am I right in thinking the yanks never extradite their own citizens? so it is a moot point she aint now got diplomatic immunity. Hardly anything to be glad about? seems like a stitch up between the uk & US govts. The US govt is complicit in perverting the course of justice in this country?
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Oct 2019, 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3398
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Oct 2019, 11:03am

What was the woman scared of?
It is not as if she would get much of a punishment for killing by gross carelessness with a car in Britain.

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Psamathe » 13 Oct 2019, 11:32am

On the radio this morning a weird "development" I don't fully understand. Apparently our Foreign Secretary has now said that the individual now back in the US does not have diplomatic immunity because she is no longer in the UK i.e. leave the UK and your diplomatic immunity no longer applies or is voided or something.

Thus, the UK can now start extradition proceedings and she cannot claim diplomatic immunity as a reason extradition should not be granted.

I'd sort of dismissed the radio report as me not being fully awake and missing the crucial sentence but it's in todays press as well
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/13/harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-driver-who-fled-uk-devastated-by-fatal-crash wrote:Anne Sacoolas no longer has diplomatic immunity, says Foreign Office
...
“The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent,” the foreign secretary’s letter says.

It [foreign secretary’s letter] added: “We have looked at this very carefully … the UK government’s position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas’ case, because she has returned home.”

Ian

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6851
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Oct 2019, 11:36am

Psamathe wrote:On the radio this morning a weird "development" I don't fully understand. Apparently our Foreign Secretary has now said that the individual now back in the US does not have diplomatic immunity because she is no longer in the UK i.e. leave the UK and your diplomatic immunity no longer applies or is voided or something.

Thus, the UK can now start extradition proceedings and she cannot claim diplomatic immunity as a reason extradition should not be granted.

I'd sort of dismissed the radio report as me not being fully awake and missing the crucial sentence but it's in todays press as well
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/13/harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-driver-who-fled-uk-devastated-by-fatal-crash wrote:Anne Sacoolas no longer has diplomatic immunity, says Foreign Office
...
“The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent,” the foreign secretary’s letter says.

It [foreign secretary’s letter] added: “We have looked at this very carefully … the UK government’s position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas’ case, because she has returned home.”

Ian

...but presumably when she hits these shores it kicks back in?

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Psamathe » 13 Oct 2019, 11:44am

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:On the radio this morning a weird "development" I don't fully understand. Apparently our Foreign Secretary has now said that the individual now back in the US does not have diplomatic immunity because she is no longer in the UK i.e. leave the UK and your diplomatic immunity no longer applies or is voided or something.

Thus, the UK can now start extradition proceedings and she cannot claim diplomatic immunity as a reason extradition should not be granted.

I'd sort of dismissed the radio report as me not being fully awake and missing the crucial sentence but it's in todays press as well
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/13/harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-driver-who-fled-uk-devastated-by-fatal-crash wrote:Anne Sacoolas no longer has diplomatic immunity, says Foreign Office
...
“The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent,” the foreign secretary’s letter says.

It [foreign secretary’s letter] added: “We have looked at this very carefully … the UK government’s position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas’ case, because she has returned home.”

Ian

...but presumably when she hits these shores it kicks back in?

Or, the US has to request she is given diplomatic immunity and UK can say "no". I thought (but probably from years ago) that a diplomat moving to a host country has to have their name submitted to the host country who has to approve that individual (and the host country can say "no"). If that is the case then probably it has become more streamlined but I'm sure any host country could still reject an individual being added to a diplomatic immunity list.

Ian

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6851
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Oct 2019, 11:54am

Interesting thought. One to watch.

mercalia
Posts: 11495
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2019, 2:54pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Interesting thought. One to watch.


its all those chlorinated chickens Trump wants to dump here :wink:

kwackers
Posts: 13703
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby kwackers » 13 Oct 2019, 2:57pm

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Interesting thought. One to watch.


its all those chlorinated chickens Trump wants to dump here :wink:

It's a good scam.
Get her sent back and fill the hold with chlorinated chicken.
Folk will be so busy watching who's coming down the steps they won't think to look at whats being loaded onto the baggage carts.

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby landsurfer » 13 Oct 2019, 3:14pm

Yet again whats wrong with chlorinated chicken.
The most litigant society on the planet is the USA, if there was any danger the producers would have been sued into submission decades ago.
All those British families on their theme park holidays in the USA seem to survive ....
Its different to how we do things true .... but whats the danger ? :?:

And on a positive note ... she appears to have had her immunity removed ..... so back to the UK for her hand slapped and a £30 fine .... :roll:
If even that .. surrounded by her diplomatic level legal team ...
Last edited by landsurfer on 13 Oct 2019, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

mercalia
Posts: 11495
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2019, 3:18pm

landsurfer wrote:Yet again whats wrong with chlorinated chicken.
The most litigant society on the planet is the USA, if there was any danger the producers would have been sued into submission decades ago.
All those British families on their theme park holidays in the USA seem to survive ....
Its different to how we do things true .... but whats the danger ? :?:


ah but its only the poor I bet that eat them - I doubt the well off or rich dont. Who cares about the poor in the USA?

I seem to remember reading some where comparisons between food poisoning in the USA and the UK. maybe EU and there was much higher % there

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/the-us-ambassador-is-telling-chlorinated-porkies-about-food-poisoning_uk_5c7fb34ae4b020b54d809fad?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFzVqU0LVgW2dQQAeZ5yLqV0_i7dMD0btG1mPe4xPVI8rYDYnWyNjYVFY-pp0TZpP1ynrQLgFEVkRVKdA9uz3v9AmrRJ3k0woZgqTQozlVWcQimL9EJvDvEQ9XsMjZHVLILUT1v8dUoSQv81xPJ-xMsqePmugPvbApots6EauF0v

Atleast when she comes here tobe put into the klink we know where to send her fellow travellers

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby landsurfer » 13 Oct 2019, 3:23pm

mercalia wrote:ah but its only the poor I bet that eat them - I doubt the rich do. Who cares about the poor in the USA?



As i always get challenged ........ post a link and confirm that to be true* .... or certain posters on here will accuse you of everything form being a heretic to the Reichestag Fire ...... :roll:

*Don't bother ... i'll take your word for it.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3398
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Oct 2019, 3:24pm

landsurfer wrote:Yet again whats wrong with chlorinated chicken.
The most litigant society on the planet is the USA, if there was any danger the producers would have been sued into submission decades ago.
All those British families on their theme park holidays in the USA seem to survive ....
Its different to how we do things true .... but whats the danger ? :?:



The government has misunderstood the science on the safety of chlorinated chicken, a group of senior food policy experts has said.
It has also failed to give watertight commitments that it would not be sold here after a no-deal Brexit, they warn.
The experts have written to all MPs to warn that the British public is being “softened up” to accept chlorinated chicken and other food produced under US safety standards, despite it posing a danger to health.
In a briefing from the Centre for Food Policy, timed to reach MPs before party conferences, they argue that recent assurances by a government chief scientist were misleading, and a no-deal Brexit could open the door to unsafe food.

But the academics point to research published last year which found washing food in bleach does not kill many of the pathogens that cause food poisoning. Instead, it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests, which take a sample of the food and try to culture any germs on it.
The presence of the pathogens is thus masked by the bleach, but they are still dangerous to human health.
Erik Millstone, professor of science policy at Sussex University and co-author of the briefing, told the Guardian lives would be at stake if food based on these lower standards were sold in the UK. “I am satisfied [by the evidence] that US food poisoning cases are significantly higher than in the UK. A minority of people suffer fatal complications,” he said. “There will certainly be fatalities, and they typically affect vulnerable people, such as infants, small children and the elderly.”

Tim Lang, professor of food policy at City Universityand also a co-author, said the government was “wriggling” over the definitions of safety. “For the chief scientist at Defra to say what he did is not accidental,” he said.


Gareth Morgan, head of farming and land use policy at the Soil Association, warned that consumers would face issues beyond food safety: “The notion that chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-fed beef are “safe” misses the point. These practices prop up inherently unsafe industrial farming systems with terrible welfare standards.”


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/13/science-on-safety-of-chlorinated-chicken-misunderstood
Last edited by Mike Sales on 13 Oct 2019, 3:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9183
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Oct 2019, 3:25pm

Yes, chlorinated chicken is perfectly safe to eat.
As are battery eggs. As is MRM (remember what that stands for?). As are GM crops. As are artificial sweeteners, flavourings, colourings, etc. None of these things will actually kill you.

Pity we can't ask the chickens what they think about the process. Or the other livestock. Or the wild animals and plants that we share this planet with. Or, indeed, the Earth itself, considered as an entity. None of these are able to voice an opinion....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia
Posts: 11495
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2019, 3:33pm

landsurfer wrote:
mercalia wrote:ah but its only the poor I bet that eat them - I doubt the rich do. Who cares about the poor in the USA?



As i always get challenged ........ post a link and confirm that to be true* .... or certain posters on here will accuse you of everything form being a heretic to the Reichestag Fire ...... :roll:

*Don't bother ... i'll take your word for it.



was a guess. Would be interresting to know the stats though. BUT if you were well off middle class and above and you had the choice between a cheap chlorinated chicken and some thing from a proper producerwhat would you buy?

Indeed, chlorine washing may prevent the detection of contaminants through ordinary testing, because it partially masks the problem. Quilton had no trouble finding a Texas restaurant owner who will swear there is nothing wrong with American chicken – “Not a thing. Superior quality and flavour”. But the numbers speak for themselves: US rates of campylobacter infection are 10 times higher than in the UK. The US records hundreds of salmonella deaths a year; the UK has in recent years recorded none.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/03/the-truth-about-chlorinated-chicken-review-an-instant-appetite-ruiner

If I was a well off yank I would know these facts and not eat them


if the rich do eat it welll that explains how so many vote for Trump the Chump? He probably guzzles it down :lol: and it aint affected him has it it?

Here is all I can find about it in the USA

https://www.chickencheck.in/faq/chlorine-washed-chicken/

seems like the USA is moving away from the practice, only 10% of producers use it in rinses, with most only for cleaning equipment. SO it seems Trump wants to dump those 10% producers here :twisted:

The National Chicken Council in the United States would estimate that chlorine is used in some rinses and sprays in only about 10% of processing plants in the U.S. Most of the chlorine that is used in the industry is used for cleaning and sanitizing processing equipment.

So it would not be hard to find chicken in the USA that is not chlorinated, why would you choose them unless it was cheaper? And if you were well off why would you buy it? presumably the producers who dont rinse their chickens source from better sources that dont need rinsing?

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6851
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Oct 2019, 5:00pm

Now we've segued seamlessly to US Food Standards, may I just say that they do seem to eat and be happy to eat a right load of old carp.