Debt-chasing phone calls : wrong person : What to do ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Debt-chasing phone calls : wrong person : What to do ?

Post by Mick F »

Main thing is, don't answer the phone.

We rarely answer our landline. We've paid good money for an answerphone. Let the machine take it! :D If we know them, or we want to, we'll phone THEM.

If someone phones our mobiles and the number isn't in our contacts list, it doesn't get answered, and then it's blocked.

If they REALLY want to get in touch with you, they'll write a letter.
Mick F. Cornwall
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Bill them. Send them a letter setting our the charges per minute for phone calls, dealing with letter and for meetings. Then bill them and when they don't pay take them to court. Think I'm mad - see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

sizbut wrote:Bill them. Send them a letter setting our the charges per minute for phone calls, dealing with letter and for meetings. Then bill them and when they don't pay take them to court. Think I'm mad - see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927

Or maybe write 1st time clarifying that you are not the person they are seeking/you do not owe the debt and that now you have cleared that-up, you will be charging for subsequent correspondence (as per suggested). i.e. 1st letter is free, repeating the same thing again for them is not. Make sure you include adequate proof that you are not Mr X (who they are seeking) or that you have no debt to whoever is claiming from you (depending on their basis for their claim).

I'd add to the 1st letter stating your charges that you will take any further communications from them as acceptable of your stated charges.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Main thing is, don't answer the phone.

We rarely answer our landline. We've paid good money for an answerphone. Let the machine take it! :D If we know them, or we want to, we'll phone THEM.

If someone phones our mobiles and the number isn't in our contacts list, it doesn't get answered, and then it's blocked.

If they REALLY want to get in touch with you, they'll write a letter.

exactly what he said.
Phone calls mean nothing, how do you know the person calling you is anybody?
A court summons would definitely need a letter addressed to you and your address.
I had one of those sort of phone calls today, you pick up the phone there is a pause click then there's a message, Like we're going to cut you off!
I put the phone down block the number job done.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Do nothing -they are powerless without your detail- CABs are underfunded and frustrating,and rarely have a pro bono service.They want you to pay,which would end the calls,and make you seem foolish.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:Main thing is, don't answer the phone.

But what if they take the same view?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
OP says phone calls?
No letters?

If I took notice of every phone call I did not answer I would be driven mad or penniless.

I have been doing exactly what Mick does for near on 35 years.
Preferring to let my answer phone take all the wasted time answering the phone.
I keep telling people to get an answer phone (your telephone fixed or wireless supplier supplies this for free) that way IF someone wants to contact you then they will leave a message. And my intro was always call back at this time / leave a message.

When my phone rings, I look at the number / my phone ID's the number in my contacts, then decide to accept / leave / block.

Ok so you run a busy business and you expect customers to phone etc, no problem there, if they are scam then block.
All these sob stories on the media and not one suggests ways to protect yourself from scam..................that's because these presenters operate there devices straight out of the box with no secure password :roll:

My partner still uses pet / favourite passwords :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Been through this nonsense with NPower who have no compunction in illegally selling off disputed bills to the debt vultures. The worst thing is to start getting into protracted conversation with them. Do not contact them by phone or letter unless they actually send you a court order through the post. Nobody has the right to come to your door demanding entry without a court order, I have a land line because Virgin-media insist I have one. It is unplugged. I have a £4 a month mobile phone with more free calls, Texts and data than I will ever use. The Vultures used to call me regularly until I found out that you can set your phone so it blocks everybody unless they are on your contact list. Simple. I used to get the nonsensical red topped threatening letters as well. I just kept them in a pile. Not heard anything for about 18 months now. :)