What Would You Do With £170M

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Post by Tangled Metal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Buy a town and call it.........................Don't Stop Here Or Go To Jail :P

Or buy a disused aerodrome and put a mine field around it :mrgreen:

Buy a town and call it Hell. Obviously somewhere in three overly built up south east. It really depresses me as I travel south until I get towards the southwest and the beautiful county of Devon.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Buy Bowland, turn it into a forest like Brechfa

Buy Brechfa, cut a lot of trees down and turn it into a forest like the forest of Bowland.

PS if you don't understand the origins of the name Forest of Bowland then it's origins come from hunting ground. AIUI the origins of forest is as a hunting ground for hunting probably with hounds. For that it's best to be a mix if woods and open ground.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

cotterpins wrote:
100%JR wrote:I wouldn't tell anybody including my family or friends.I'd make sure my kids were OK but brothers/sister would never know.I have 40-odd cousins.They and all their offspring would soon come out of the woodwork and be my best "friend" :roll: .I'd move to a different area.Then nice house,preferably with land/woodland.Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.I'd buy three or four new rifles too.
I'd have a Holiday home in The Lake District,One in France and an Villa in Mallorca with bike(s) kept at each one.
I'd donate an annual sum to the two charities I support.I'd visit at least two new countries every year until I got bored.
£170m should see me through and if there was owt left when I pegged it I'd leave it to my kids.
I wouldn't even phone work to hand my notice in,I'd just never go again :lol:

How sad! The first thing I would do is make sure my whole family were looked after! Obviously, different times and generations give us all a different perspective on life!

Why sad?
I don’t see any of them!
As I said I have 40 cousins on my mums side alone.They each have three or four kids and most have grandkids!I’d end up “looking after “over 200 people I don’t know!
As for my brothers and sister I haven’t seen them in years.Been in my house 20 years and non of them have been so why would I look after them?
Nowt to do with different generations.My family is my wife and kids.The rest are just people I know.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Buy Bowland, turn it into a forest like Brechfa

Buy Brechfa, cut a lot of trees down and turn it into a forest like the forest of Bowland.

PS if you don't understand the origins of the name Forest of Bowland then it's origins come from hunting ground. AIUI the origins of forest is as a hunting ground for hunting probably with hounds. For that it's best to be a mix if woods and open ground.

The Welsh Government isn't selling. In fact, I detect a vague intent to get back lots of Welsh sod for the common good. Since I have come to believe that Enclosure Acts were an act of theft, I am heartily in favour. Perhaps another reason to vote for Plaid Cymru. :-)

To bolster my suspicions of private property laws gone-mad, I have just acquired an interesting history book: "Owning the Earth" by Andro Linklater. It examines the history of private property as a concept and practice evolving over the last couple of hundred years or so in The West, from a more general condition of common land arrangements. It also looks at alternatives to absolute private property in many other kinds of societies, now and in the past. There's also an exploration of the connections between the advent of absolute private property laws and our lovely modern capitalism, with all of its ultra-exploitation practice, largely enabled by the property laws.

Cugel, wanderer i' the woods.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:
cotterpins wrote:
100%JR wrote:I wouldn't tell anybody including my family or friends.I'd make sure my kids were OK but brothers/sister would never know.I have 40-odd cousins.They and all their offspring would soon come out of the woodwork and be my best "friend" :roll: .I'd move to a different area.Then nice house,preferably with land/woodland.Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.I'd buy three or four new rifles too.
I'd have a Holiday home in The Lake District,One in France and an Villa in Mallorca with bike(s) kept at each one.
I'd donate an annual sum to the two charities I support.I'd visit at least two new countries every year until I got bored.
£170m should see me through and if there was owt left when I pegged it I'd leave it to my kids.
I wouldn't even phone work to hand my notice in,I'd just never go again :lol:

How sad! The first thing I would do is make sure my whole family were looked after! Obviously, different times and generations give us all a different perspective on life!

Why sad?
I don’t see any of them!
As I said I have 40 cousins on my mums side alone.They each have three or four kids and most have grandkids!I’d end up “looking after “over 200 people I don’t know!
As for my brothers and sister I haven’t seen them in years.Been in my house 20 years and non of them have been so why would I look after them?
Nowt to do with different generations.My family is my wife and kids.The rest are just people I know.

In this you are like most but not all other mammalian species, not to mention those of the birds, insects and fishies. They forget their offs[ring, even, once grown. In truth, I too am slightly nonplussed by the habit in some families to go mad on the us&them demarcation, clinging to all the "us" no matter how awful some of the "us" are. Is it a basic genetic thing in humans, due to our status as the most herd-like mammal there is on the planet? Is it also in part a cultural habit that's stronger in some family traditions than others?

Me and t'ladywife both have distant relatives that are not such good people, in various ways. I confess to avoiding them like the plague, not least because they might become a social-sore upon my everyday life. Am I the bad one for shoving orf my genetic others? I confess to feeling the odd qualm when I hear news of yet another dire strait one has got into then look the other way. Yet I fear ending up in the same place, dragged down to the bottom with the creature I would try to rescue.

Cugel, probably just another self-centred little skinbag.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cugel wrote:
The Welsh Government isn't selling. In fact, I detect a vague intent to get back lots of Welsh sod for the common good. Since I have come to believe that Enclosure Acts were an act of theft, I am heartily in favour. Perhaps another reason to vote for Plaid Cymru. :-)

To bolster my suspicions of private property laws gone-mad, I have just acquired an interesting history book: "Owning the Earth" by Andro Linklater. It examines the history of private property as a concept and practice evolving over the last couple of hundred years or so in The West, from a more general condition of common land arrangements. It also looks at alternatives to absolute private property in many other kinds of societies, now and in the past. There's also an exploration of the connections between the advent of absolute private property laws and our lovely modern capitalism, with all of its ultra-exploitation practice, largely enabled by the property laws.

Cugel, wanderer i' the woods.

The day was just ending and I was descending
Down Grinesbrook just by Upper Tor
When a voice cried "Hey you" in the way keepers do
He'd the worst face that ever I saw
The things that he said were unpleasant
In the teeth of his fury I said
"Sooner than part from the mountains
I think I would rather be dead"
He called me a louse and said "Think of the grouse"
Well i thought, but I still couldn't see
Why all Kinder Scout and the moors roundabout
Couldn't take both the poor grouse and me
He said "All this land is my master's"
At that I stood shaking my head
No man has the right to own mountains
Any more than the deep ocean bed

The Manchester Rambler

Ewan MacColl

https://www.bing.com/search?q=manchester+rambler+lyrics&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&plvar=0&refig=0741865cb45a423a86a4751ac378780b&sp=3&qs=AS&pq=manchester+rambler&sk=PRES1AS2&sc=8-18&cvid=0741865cb45a423a86a4751ac378780b&cc=GB&setlang=en-GB
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tail End Charlie wrote:I'd buy a massive turnip.

Spendthrift - what's wrong with a big radish? :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:

Buy a town and call it Hell. Obviously somewhere in three overly built up south east. It really depresses me as I travel south until I get towards the southwest and the beautiful county of Devon.

You've watched High Plains Drifter too many times.....

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:

You've watched High Plains Drifter too many times.....

nah not very imaginative. buy a town and call it Sodom and Gomorrah

Well Sodom taken

sodom.JPG
Last edited by mercalia on 14 Oct 2019, 4:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:nah not very imaginative. buy a town and call it Sodom and Gomorrah

I was looking out of the window when a bloke fell past and splatted on the pavement.

Later the police asked me if I knew why he'd killed himself, I told them it was because he had VD.
"How do you know that?" they asked.
I told them that as he shot past he shouted "I'm a gonorrhoea".

(Tenuous link I grant you)

In order to keep it on topic; if I won £170m I might put some money into research into STD's.
rjb

Post by rjb »

What's that got to do with Standard Telephone Dialling.?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

rjb wrote:What's that got to do with Standard Telephone Dialling.?

Or indeed Subscriber Trunk Dialling.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:nah not very imaginative. buy a town and call it Sodom and Gomorrah

You'd need two towns for that. Or buy two villages like upper and lower Wallop. But which would you call sodom and which gomorrah? Distasteful joke removed.

Hell is a town in mid Wales I once got told. I've never seen it on a map though. Anyone know where it is?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:

You'd need two towns for that. Or buy two villages like upper and lower Wallop. But which would you call sodom and which gomorrah? Distasteful joke removed.

Hell is a town in mid Wales I once got told. I've never seen it on a map though. Anyone know where it is?

Theres a Hell Corner near a place called Inkpen near 2 places called UpperGreen and Lower Green where the lower one is north of the upper one? :roll:

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

NE of InkPen there is a place called Wergs Copse hmm shame there aaint a typo Wergs Corpse
Last edited by mercalia on 14 Oct 2019, 4:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:

Theres a Hell Corner near a place called Inkpen near 2 places called UpperGreen and Lower Green where the lower one is north of the upper one? :roll:

The names must refer to altitude.

Two Welsh hills.
Glyder Fach (The small Glyder) is higher than Glyder Fawr (the big Glyder)!
Glyder Fawr looks bulkier.