What Would You Do With £170M

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What Would You Do With £170M

Post by mercalia »

I see some one in the UK has won the EuroLottery of £170M. Got me musing what I would do with all that money, seems an aweful lot.

Maybe become one of the mobile rich with homes all over the world is my first thought. Or maybe buy one of those very large boats the super rich have and cruise around the world and never come back to the UK other than as with any other place?

Would certainly buy a load of BigMacs & fries

Practical problems, can you have a bank account with that much money in? Show my pass book down at my local Westminster branch to take some cash out :lol: :shock: "I want to withdraw £60 pls" :lol:
661-Pete

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Post by 661-Pete »

Before answering that, it might be an eye-opener to seek out and watch the TV play Spend Spend Spend by Jack Rosenthal (I have a copy on DVD). This gives an accurate account of the real-life story of a football pools winner back in 1961. Although the amount won was modest by today's standard even after adjusting for inflation (about £150,000 then, equivalent to £3.3M today), the win had a devastating effect on the couple concerned.

So - do you still want to win this outrageous sum? :twisted: :mrgreen:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Give most of it away, it is a vulgar sum: no-one person should be able to win that much - suggest 170 people win a million.

John.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Before answering that, it might be an eye-opener to seek out and watch the TV play Spend Spend Spend by Jack Rosenthal (I have a copy on DVD). This gives an accurate account of the real-life story of a football pools winner back in 1961. Although the amount won was modest by today's standard even after adjusting for inflation (about £150,000 then, equivalent to £3.3M today), the win had a devastating effect on the couple concerned.

So - do you still want to win this outrageous sum? :twisted: :mrgreen:

The reply to that would be "it wouldnt change me one bit" 8)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

With most of those things, you only get 170 million, if you take it over 30 years, or something. You only get about 1/3 or something if you take a lump sum.

That said, either would be enough for me.

I would
-pay off my mortgage
-pay off mortgages for a few relatives
-buy some household things & do some DIY (maybe also on my dad's house)
-buy up my family's properties in Wisconsin (it was my grandparent's farm)
-put enough away to live comfortably off the investment earnings (1.5 million?)

I might also do some things, like buy rainforest in Asia and South America, and set it in a trust to prevent development, invest in reforestation in some places where it will benefit both the local economy and the environment.

I might have a few other projects to invest in. I might consider developing some ideas I've had, as well, or doing a hobby business. It's much easier to contemplate that sort of thing, if you aren't worried about the financial risk.

After that, there should still be some tens of millions to give away.

I don't play often, but I used to buy a lottery ticket once in a while. I never thought I would win, but £1 was cheap entertainment for all the dreams of what I would do with the money :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, Now that would just about buy me he "Tricycle of my Dreams"!
It wouldn't actually cost me hat much but because I would be able to ride it I would feel obliged to give generously to the medical charities that have enabled me to survive to this day.
Till the day of the big win arrives I will just keep thanking the folk who keep me going. TTFN MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pay for full time live in carers to assist so that my wife could live comfortably at home. Pay off daughters mortgage. Give all my immediate family enough money to invest and not have to worry about living expenses ever again. Give some gifts to real old friends to make them smile. Done all the travelling, big houses and experiences already so nothing much to do there.
Been assisting at a night shelter recently and its moved me. For the rest, I would set up a Charitable Trust to house the homeless in all our major cities. £150m could go quite a long way... Perhaps shame the government into putting some real cash into the homeless problem?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Buy a small island :wink:

Seems crazy that one person (or syndicate) gets so much, apparently it is necessary to create media interest and hy$t€ria

Actually I think I might keep a bit of the cash, and give a million to each of my closest 150 friends
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I suppose my own way of dealing with a huge windfall would be to buy a comfortable retirement for my Missus and myself (no flash cars, huge houses or any of that stuff), give life changing amounts to close family, then donate the rest to some cause that helps people in times of need. Hospices or Macmillan come to mind. Nobody needs that kind of money and anyone who spends that amount indulgently rates pretty low in my eyes. Spread the happiness.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Buy Mick F a TV licence and a new TV that beeps!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:I suppose my own way of dealing with a huge windfall would be to buy a comfortable retirement for my Missus and myself (no flash cars, huge houses or any of that stuff), give life changing amounts to close family, then donate the rest to some cause that helps people in times of need. Hospices or Macmillan come to mind. Nobody needs that kind of money and anyone who spends that amount indulgently rates pretty low in my eyes. Spread the happiness.

Hospices are not the worthy place you think. My aunt had cancer and was on her last legs so went into a hospice in Suffolk. They pressured her to sign her property over to them when she died, so she left the place and died at home.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Persuade Humphrys to rejoin the bbc :?

Buy team ineos and advertise for XR
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Given that I have never purchased a lottery ticket I would rate my chance of winning as zero.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One thing I would be tempted to do is inspired by an episode from Steptoe and Son. They decided to move to suberbia, chose a house in a posh area, mused to the estate agent they could keep the horse in the back yard and turn the front garden into where they keep their "assets" The word got around and the neighbours were not amused. So I would buy a large house in the poshest part of London - South Kensington? and let it out to the great unwashed :lol: :lol: :lol: Social cleansing?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Buy Mick F a TV licence and a new TV that beeps!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No thanks, to both of those.

I'd go on holiday somewhere nice and we'd think about what to do.
It's too much money I reckon. It won't make us any happier than we are now. No debts, no mortgage, pensions for life, healthy bank balances.

The bungalow we live in needs pulling down. The site needs developing and a new modern home built. We can't afford it and as we're in our 60s it may not be worth the effort even if we had the dosh. Sell up, and let someone else do it.

If we wanted 170M, we'd do the lottery ................ which we don't because we don't.
Mick F. Cornwall