What Would You Do With £170M

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4526
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby Audax67 » 10 Oct 2019, 10:35am

Hire a good accountant and go on from there.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9657
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby horizon » 10 Oct 2019, 11:11am

The odd thing is that most people, after splashing out on some luxury or other, would give the rest away. Which rather makes the whole point of having a Euro-millions a bit pointlesss IMV.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

mercalia
Posts: 11487
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby mercalia » 10 Oct 2019, 11:26am

100%JR wrote:I wouldn't tell anybody including my family or friends.I'd make sure my kids were OK but brothers/sister would never know.I have 40-odd cousins.They and all their offspring would soon come out of the woodwork and be my best "friend" :roll: .I'd move to a different area.Then nice house,preferably with land/woodland.Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.I'd buy three or four new rifles too.
I'd have a Holiday home in The Lake District,One in France and an Villa in Mallorca with bike(s) kept at each one.
I'd donate an annual sum to the two charities I support.I'd visit at least two new countries every year until I got bored.
£170m should see me through and if there was owt left when I pegged it I'd leave it to my kids.
I wouldn't even phone work to hand my notice in,I'd just never go again :lol:



what about buying a title? eg Lord Muck of Glendower

What would £170M look like in the new plastic tenners? A sight to behold :lol: or buy a load of gold or better still platinum ( 700kg of platinum )

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 886
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby 100%JR » 10 Oct 2019, 1:15pm

mercalia wrote:
100%JR wrote:I wouldn't tell anybody including my family or friends.I'd make sure my kids were OK but brothers/sister would never know.I have 40-odd cousins.They and all their offspring would soon come out of the woodwork and be my best "friend" :roll: .I'd move to a different area.Then nice house,preferably with land/woodland.Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.I'd buy three or four new rifles too.
I'd have a Holiday home in The Lake District,One in France and an Villa in Mallorca with bike(s) kept at each one.
I'd donate an annual sum to the two charities I support.I'd visit at least two new countries every year until I got bored.
£170m should see me through and if there was owt left when I pegged it I'd leave it to my kids.
I wouldn't even phone work to hand my notice in,I'd just never go again :lol:



what about buying a title? eg Lord Muck of Glendower

What would £170M look like in the new plastic tenners? A sight to behold :lol: or buy a load of gold or better still platinum ( 700kg of platinum )

My daughter almost bought me a title.You buy a square in the Highlands and with it comes the title “Laird of ....” you buy anything from a foot square upwards starting at about £50 :lol:
Last edited by 100%JR on 10 Oct 2019, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is banned,,,Boooo!!.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11241
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Oct 2019, 1:54pm

Drring drring, the telephone rang
-Hello, who is that?
-Hello, Littlewoods here
..
-Have I won the pools!?!? :D
-No, your wife has been caught shoplifting. Again :(
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Darkman
Posts: 67
Joined: 30 Aug 2019, 8:46pm

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby Darkman » 10 Oct 2019, 3:52pm

Don't want to be a party pooper but who *needs* that much money? It's an obscene amount.

They should spread the wealth. More lower-value prizes, greater odds of winning [something life-changing] for everyone.

It doesn't take £170 million to change someone's life.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 886
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby 100%JR » 10 Oct 2019, 4:16pm

Darkman wrote:Don't want to be a party pooper but who *needs* that much money? It's an obscene amount.
They should spread the wealth. More lower-value prizes, greater odds of winning [something life-changing] for everyone.
It doesn't take £170 million to change someone's life.

Is sooner have £170m than £17m :wink:
On the grand scale of wealth £170m is not a lot.We think it is but a Billionaire will think it’s pocket money.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is banned,,,Boooo!!.

kwackers
Posts: 13695
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby kwackers » 10 Oct 2019, 4:36pm

100%JR wrote:Is sooner have £170m than £17m :wink:
On the grand scale of wealth £170m is not a lot.We think it is but a Billionaire will think it’s pocket money.

I wouldn't get out of bed for £170m.

I suspect given the winner has only just come forward they probs think the same.
Probably lying in bed wondering if they could be bothered ringing up and claiming it.
So much hassle, so little reward.

Wonder how much cash you need to hire a modern Guy Fawkes.
(Cash on completion obviously.)

mercalia
Posts: 11487
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby mercalia » 10 Oct 2019, 4:43pm

kwackers wrote:
100%JR wrote:Is sooner have £170m than £17m :wink:
On the grand scale of wealth £170m is not a lot.We think it is but a Billionaire will think it’s pocket money.

I wouldn't get out of bed for £170m.

I suspect given the winner has only just come forward they probs think the same.
Probably lying in bed wondering if they could be bothered ringing up and claiming it.
So much hassle, so little reward.

Wonder how much cash you need to hire a modern Guy Fawkes.
(Cash on completion obviously.)


now if Harry and Sparkle got it I would be very very angry

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2636
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby Cugel » 10 Oct 2019, 5:10pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Given that I have never purchased a lottery ticket I would rate my chance of winning as zero.


Ditto.

I wonder if the winnahs or those hoping to be realise how much degradation and increased poverty is caused by gambling, amongst those who become addicts and among those who are on the threshold of addiction, as they waste their inadequate cash on a vain hope that they can magically escape the dire conditions they live in?

Gambling is a sin! Or so the Christians might say. I agree. I would also make it a crime once more.

Cugel

brynpoeth
Posts: 11241
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Oct 2019, 5:15pm

Then it would go underground, or on the interweb
It does ruin peoples lives, they get addicted, what help should they be offered?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mercalia
Posts: 11487
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby mercalia » 10 Oct 2019, 5:57pm

For a laugh I would buy 100kg of black sunflower seed and dump the lot in the garden and see the feeding frenzy of squirrels pigeons, parakeets magpies and other birds.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5820
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Oct 2019, 6:30pm

I'd do that in someone else's garden in the middle of sunset when they're gardening in all their spare time. It's a good idea.

Gambling is an addiction like anything else. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol in America and the laws relating to gambling in the UK prior to the relatively recent relaxation of the laws by Blair's government in a bid to make the UK a world leader in online gambling didn't stop gambling and gambling addiction.

Does illegality with drug dealing stop drug addiction? With the increase in use of beak for leisure shows prohibition doesn't work.

However the gambling legislation was completely wrong headed and allowed for gambling to become faster paced. Blair was cosied up to by betting companies and their lobbyists. Fixed odds machines, thousands of online betting games, offshore gambling companies, Gibraltar gambling companies to avoid tax, etc. Gambling aware like alcohol aware is the industry's pathetic veneer of dealing with problem gamblers. Truth is both "aware" umbrella groups give out of date information and don't help those with gambling problems.

Most children 11 to 16 have gambled a proportion of those develop problem gambling. Scratch cards are part of the problem even though those in that age group can't actually gamble legally. The industry needs to be controlled imho but not banned. There's so many people who gamble without having problems. Those minority who develop problems are addicts probably it could be drugs or alcohol.

As to amount won well rollovers do result in more people taking part it generates more money for all. Some might think that's positive considering charity gets a certain percentage of the stake.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5820
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Oct 2019, 6:33pm

One more point. I remember at the time of the first big rollover win there was discussion about how much money was needed to live a millionaire lifestyle with private jet use, big house, fancy cars, holiday home and 4 star hotel use. Back then it was calculated that in order to not reduce the capital you'd need at least £10 million to live such a lifestyle. I wonder what it's like now!

brynpoeth
Posts: 11241
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What Would You Do With £170M

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Oct 2019, 6:42pm

Depends how old one is and how many family members and friends one has..
Could I gather 170 fora members to form a syndicate for next week?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life