Chip and Pin question

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Chip and Pin question

Post by Mick F »

Just thinking .................
If you get your new card before your old card expires completely, you have two cards of course.
The new card has the same Pin as the old card.

If the Pin is held on the system and NOT solely on the card, if you change your Pin on one card, is the PIn on the other card changed too?
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Natural Ankling :) , "What did we use before cards?". Well as my old dad would say - "Flat and Folding"! Cash was King, cheques were most welcome.
Even smiled when we happened to receive a Book Token, starting our own library, yippee!
Still find treasure from careless hands, so much in the way of coinage on the pavement, even find treasure at new fangled "Self-Service Till", when previous customers don't bother to collect change? Long Live Coins. MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking .................
If you get your new card before your old card expires completely, you have two cards of course.
The new card has the same Pin as the old card.

If the Pin is held on the system and NOT solely on the card, if you change your Pin on one card, is the PIn on the other card changed too?

Ish.

The second the system sees the new card the old one is invalidated.
So you have two cards physically but the old one will be rejected by anything connected to the system and it'll be invalidated at the same time so will cease to work anywhere.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
Sounds right. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
HSBC supplied you with a little of sort credit card sized calculator type thing.
This is to get onto the Internet.
Mine packed up, so sent me a new one, never turned up, so they sent another.
I think I have to now have two or three that work.
These too have a six digit pin, which you insert to generate a code, that code is used to get onto the Internet, to login.
chip and pin cards use four digit numbers?
HSBC gadgets use six numbers, but you can use any little device it appears.
but HSBC still relies on you to input a 12 figure code that's a user code, before you can make an attempt to logon.

Back to the OP's original question, Where is the pin stored, I now think the pin is never stored at all, your four figure pin number is only known by you and is only stored As a code of some sorts encrypted on the banks and computer.
It's very possible that it's not even stored at the bank, but another secure system run by another company who just convert the codes.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
skicat

Post by skicat »

So the answer to "who has the final say in whether or not the transaction goes ahead?" is actually, Your Card.

Everyone else in the chain, including your bank, can say yes, approve it. But there's an algorithm on the card that can still decline the transaction. It can also approve a transaction without contacting the bank, if the bank has allowed that sort of transaction - not many do these days.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tell us more, is there a link, do you work in the business, we are all ears.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.