Eating and drinking on public transport.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Eating and drinking on public transport.

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Oct 2019, 8:20am

I am a little puzzled by the Chief Medical Officer's call to ban eating and drinking on public transport. When I get on the bus I see signs banning food and drink already.
When I take a train it often has a buffet car, and on longer journeys refreshment is needed.

millimole

Re: Eating and drinking on public transport.

Postby millimole » 13 Oct 2019, 8:38am

Mike Sales wrote:I am a little puzzled by the Chief Medical Officer's call to ban eating and drinking on public transport. When I get on the bus I see signs banning food and drink already.
When I take a train it often has a buffet car, and on longer journeys refreshment is needed.
You are right about the ban on buses - but as with so many things, there is no enforcement.
The train ban proposal was poorly reported - the proposal was for a ban on 'local trains' which I take to mean services like the London Underground, T&W Metro etc.
As I understood the suggestion, longer distance trains would be unaffected. Enforcement is a question that remains unanswered. Peer pressure doesn't work.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Oct 2019, 9:01am

'Please to refrain from enjoying heavily spiced aromatic foods in the train' :?

Of course if one takes a train from Aberdeen to Penzance one might get hungry
Surely one is not expected to consume only food from the buff€t
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Oct 2019, 9:07am

brynpoeth wrote:Of course if one takes a train from Aberdeen to Penzance one might get hungry
Surely one is not expected to consume only food from the buff€t

Surely not. I always take my own supplies on longer journeys. That way I get better food and cheaper.

sjs

Postby sjs » 13 Oct 2019, 9:44am

Listening with half an ear on the radio the other morning I was baffled by the assertion that a ban on smacking on public transport would help reduce childhood obesity.