The right way to handle the Scottish Independence?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: The right way to handle the Scotish Independance?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do you not think they'd expand to fill in for any lost supply from Scotland? There's food growers already looking into increasing UK food production to cope with any Brexit issues. Supermarkets too looking into how to support the growth of UK food growers. I personally know of some very good potato growing areas near southport and ormskirk that could develop into seed potato growing I reckon. I grew up eating so called ormskirk potatoes that were actually grown in Banks near southport. Big sacks sold for little more than the price of 5kg supermarket spuds. That's eating lots but seed supply could take over if needed I reckon.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Funnily enough the rumoured Irish ancestry was via Teesside. Wonder if that was via Scotland too. Scotland is the only one of the 4 nations I don't know is in my ancestry. I'd like to collect all four in my ancestry. So far England, Ireland, Wales, Sweden, America, Germany and potentially France due to the supposed origins of my surname in pre- norman conquest France. I'm a mongrel and proud of it! :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

Tangled Metal wrote:Do you not think they'd expand to fill in for any lost supply from Scotland? There's food growers already looking into increasing UK food production to cope with any Brexit issues. Supermarkets too looking into how to support the growth of UK food growers. I personally know of some very good potato growing areas near southport and ormskirk that could develop into seed potato growing I reckon. I grew up eating so called ormskirk potatoes that were actually grown in Banks near southport. Big sacks sold for little more than the price of 5kg supermarket spuds. That's eating lots but seed supply could take over if needed I reckon.

I'm not an expert but I would imagine that a sensible strategy is to grow your seed potatoes as far away as possible from the cropping areas so that a blight of the crop doesn't risk (or greatly reduces the risk of) wiping out the seed stock as well.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:Do you not think they'd expand to fill in for any lost supply from Scotland? There's food growers already looking into increasing UK food production to cope with any Brexit issues. Supermarkets too looking into how to support the growth of UK food growers. I personally know of some very good potato growing areas near southport and ormskirk that could develop into seed potato growing I reckon. I grew up eating so called ormskirk potatoes that were actually grown in Banks near southport. Big sacks sold for little more than the price of 5kg supermarket spuds. That's eating lots but seed supply could take over if needed I reckon.

Looks like they have :? https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/yorkshire- ... ts-quality
That’s an interesting article and you’ll discover why you can’t just decide on a whim to grow seed pots. At the very end there is a table and for Certification A & B it’s still the original areas.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I grew up there too.

Used to go spud picking Newburgh/Parbold/Wrightington in the mid 60s and not all seed potatoes come from Scotland.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS
When our daughter moved house, we found a dozen supermarket spuds in her garage that had chitted quite well.
We brought them home and planted them in a tub of soil and compost.

A few weeks/months later, we had quite a decent crop of potatoes! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:PS
When our daughter moved house, we found a dozen supermarket spuds in her garage that had chitted quite well.
We brought them home and planted them in a tub of soil and compost.

A few weeks/months later, we had quite a decent crop of potatoes! :D

I wish you’d kept some of that crop for next years seed and so on year after year and reported back after ten years. I very much doubt your report would be as enthusiastic.

E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The point is, keep a dozen spuds in a dark place and they'll chit.
Plant them, and you'll get two dozen potatoes - maybe even three dozen.

Closed loop system.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:The point is, keep a dozen spuds in a dark place and they'll chit.

Closed loop system.

The point is you can’t keep doing that unless you get new stock. It’s the same with breeding animals. As you’ve never been closely involved with agriculture perhaps you need to experience famine to understand.

E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:The point is, keep a dozen spuds in a dark place and they'll chit.

Closed loop system.

The point is you can’t keep doing that unless you get new stock. It’s the same with breeding animals. As you’ve never been closely involved with agriculture perhaps you need to experience famine to understand.

The "new stock" has to come from somewhere?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:[]

The "new stock" has to come from somewhere?

Yeah with any problems commercially you’d need to get back to 'Nuclear Stock' This is the point I’ve been trying to make :D and more than likely you’ll have to look to Scotland to get it. There is quite an impressive list of viruses potatoes are susceptible to here

E2E info
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mercalia, Are you suggesting that all blokes called "Spud" should offer to be donors? Maybe "Murphy's Law" will come into play :? .
Chip off the Old Bloke needed? MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:The "new stock" has to come from somewhere?
Morrisons?

Buy a bag of spuds.
Eat most of them and let the others chit.
You can plant the chitted ones and get as many potatoes as you bought, if not more.
Keep doing it over the years. Not self-sufficient in spuds, but nigh on.

What's Scotland got to do with this?
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Re: The right way to handle Scottish Independence?

Post by Audax67 »

Scotland + Spud ===> Trainspotting.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Re: The right way to handle Scottish Independence?

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:Scotland + Spud ===> Trainspotting.

Some would claim that film was a load of chit :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden