escooters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brynpoeth

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Oct 2019, 8:45am

Not telling
Suggesting, nudging
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Oct 2019, 8:45am

brynpoeth wrote:..Googled the weight: 51 kg without batteries

I think you've googled the wrong type of scooter are those not Vespas,Lambrettas and Yamahas?
The ones I've seen fold weighing no more than a small suitcase with a range of a few miles and are easily carried onto a train or bus.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Oct 2019, 8:48am

reohn2 wrote:

I think you've googled the wrong type of scooter are those not Vespas,Lambrettas and Yamahas?
The ones I've seen fold weighing no more than a small suitcase with a range of a few miles and are easily carried onto a train or bus.

51 kg, they might not be so much but they are heavy and unwieldy, could not be easily taken on a train or bus

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 26 Oct 2019, 8:52am

mjr wrote:Where "numerous deaths" seems to be just six and one of those "was struck by a car in the south-western city of Bordeaux" which hardly seems like the scooter's fault!

More worryingly, they're being forced into helmets and hi vis and banned from country roads. First they came for the escooters...?

+1. The new "regulations" will serve nicely as a test-run for bicycles. Most if not all of them would certainly be strongly supported if applied to cyclists in UK.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:04am

brynpoeth wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

51 kg, they might not be so much but they are heavy and unwieldy, could not be easily taken on a train or bus

We seem to be at cross purposes,the ones I've seen both advertised and in real life are as I've stated.
I cycle therefore I am.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 26 Oct 2019, 9:04am

Hi all, again, Lay of the insults, accept the fact that we have traffic laws, use machines that are lawfully compliant, use them in a safe fashion, road death figures will tumble!
Stop folk from behaving as anarchic children, there are enough forms of legal machines available for all types of journey and if all else fails for the reasonable distance movement employ the "Marrow Bone Coach".
E:Scooters, Segways, Skateboards, Unicycles, Rollerboots, all fall outside of the definition of "Useable Vehicle", get over the stupid stage in human development, as the humble pedal cycle is still the most efficient form of human transportation, love it and live with it. MM

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:05am

djnotts wrote:
mjr wrote:Where "numerous deaths" seems to be just six and one of those "was struck by a car in the south-western city of Bordeaux" which hardly seems like the scooter's fault!

More worryingly, they're being forced into helmets and hi vis and banned from country roads. First they came for the escooters...?

+1. The new "regulations" will serve nicely as a test-run for bicycles. Most if not all of them would certainly be strongly supported if applied to cyclists in UK.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit :twisted:
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:08am

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, again, Lay of the insults, accept the fact that we have traffic laws, use machines that are lawfully compliant, use them in a safe fashion, road death figures will tumble!
Stop folk from behaving as anarchic children, there are enough forms of legal machines available for all types of journey and if all else fails for the reasonable distance movement employ the "Marrow Bone Coach".
E:Scooters, Segways, Skateboards, Unicycles, Rollerboots, all fall outside of the definition of "Useable Vehicle", get over the stupid stage in human development, as the humble pedal cycle is still the most efficient form of human transportation, love it and live with it. MM

Has someone thrown insults in you direction?
If so who?
For the rest of tpyour post I can only agree,but we're discussing e-scooters in France.
I cycle therefore I am.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 9:14am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, A pointless, faddy, childish toy! Safety is obviously not a concern for the numpties that use then, nor does the safety of other appear on their radar.

Sounds like a bicycle to me - or at least a lot of motorists views of bicycles.
You want to be careful what you wish for...

eScooters are an excellent short hop vehicle. They fold up tiny, you can wear a suit, they're as maintenance free as it's possible to get, take no room on a train (unlike the frequent tangle of bicycles that seem to infuriate commuters) and fit underneath you office desk / in your locker easily and can be easily stored at home. And probably more importantly - there's no danger of working up a sweat.
There is no other vehicle that fits that description, even a Brompton doesn't come close.

France has always been keen on implementing "safety" features for road users which is odd given you often struggle finding a vehicle that isn't covered in dents and scratches.

Personally I advocate mass disobedience. Everyone buy and ride an eScooter, sometimes legalising something is the way forward rather than trying to criminalise it. ;)

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:23am

kwackers wrote:France has always been keen on implementing "safety" features for road users which is odd given you often struggle finding a vehicle that isn't covered in dents and scratches.

Pardon me but that's bullshit.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:23am

WRT the topic in hand, maybe they'll die out now. It'd be much better for the rivers if they did.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Oct 2019, 9:25am

Audax67 wrote:
kwackers wrote:France has always been keen on implementing "safety" features for road users which is odd given you often struggle finding a vehicle that isn't covered in dents and scratches.

Please to explain
Mind, your part of France is maybe not typical :wink:

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 26 Oct 2019, 9:30am

"E:Scooters, Segways, Skateboards, Unicycles, Rollerboots, all fall outside of the definition of "Useable Vehicle", get over the stupid stage in human development, as the humble pedal cycle is still the most efficient form of human transportation, love it and live with it. MM"

As defined where/by whom? I do "love" the humble pedal cycle, but sadly the majority do not - some tolerate it, more dislike it and some would like nothing more than to ban it. Anything that reduces private car usage is IMV "a good thing".

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 9:31am

Audax67 wrote:

Last time I was in Paris I made a point of counting the number of cars with dents and scratches compared to those without.
The dents and scratches won out in the end.

Never seen so many banged up cars.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 9:35am

djnotts wrote:"E:Scooters, Segways, Skateboards, Unicycles, Rollerboots, all fall outside of the definition of "Useable Vehicle", get over the stupid stage in human development, as the humble pedal cycle is still the most efficient form of human transportation, love it and live with it. MM"

As defined where/by whom? I do "love" the humble pedal cycle, but sadly the majority do not - some tolerate it, more dislike it and some would like nothing more than to ban it. Anything that reduces private car usage is IMV "a good thing".

Exactly, there's a hole in "last mile" travel that the bicycle doesn't fill and that public transport can't handle if it did. You can even take an escooter on a bus - find a bus that'll let you take a bike on.

I find cyclists a strange bunch. They seem to think everyone should ride a bicycle - preferably one without a motor.
They want folk out of cars but only if they then use bicycles...