escooters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby merseymouth » 26 Oct 2019, 9:38am

Hi Reohn2, I mentioned the insult point because of the jab at Brynpoeth, which the poster apologised for as he miss out an emoticon, which Bryn I believe accepts.
My point about folk not accepting the advantages of actually walking fits in with the laze culture of these times! After all we must all know folk who would use a gazunder rather than walk to the loo :lol: (No Insult, humour intended(.
Accept the fact they ain't lawfully compliant, keep them that way.
Though I may make a special exception for the "Power Boots" of Professor Calculus? TFN MM

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 26 Oct 2019, 9:43am

Hi Kwackers :D , "The Final Mile"? Even at 70+, with many health issues I will continue to walk quite happily, that is until the "Final Mile" is a fact, toes turned up :( , until the pulse stops I won't get as lazy as some folk we see! MM

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Oct 2019, 9:47am

What, walk a whole mile! And back again after? Of course :D
Mind, mile used not to mean 1760 yards, but a days journey by foot or horse
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 9:50am

merseymouth wrote:Hi Kwackers :D , "The Final Mile"? Even at 70+, with many health issues I will continue to walk quite happily, that is until the "Final Mile" is a fact, toes turned up :( , until the pulse stops I won't get as lazy as some folk we see! MM

What you do isn't the same as what the majority do.

I know people who drive from near me to work in Manchester or Liverpool and the only reason they drive rather than use the train is because they think it's a PITA to get to the train station. They *could* drive and park at the station (even though it's only a mile away) but don't because once they're in the car they see little point in not going all the way.

We need to recognise that folk *are* lazy, hell I'm lazy too!
I use my bicycle and legs because I force myself to and because I know it's good for me but if they invented a fitness tablet tomorrow then I'd switch from utility cycling to ebiking for pleasure.
My commute would almost certainly become an escooter at both ends with a train in the middle.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Oct 2019, 9:54am

MM
I think your walk is another person's wasted time,we could discuss the reasons for that and I'd sympathise with your reasoning but,and there always is one,we aren't every wo/man and have to accept other people's preferences providing they don't interfere with our own or ours with there's IYSWIM,which to an extent is an impossibility in real life especially in a city.
As for them remaining illegal IMOthat's like like trying to stop the tide and time.That said legislation should be in place to restrict their speed and where they're used
Last edited by reohn2 on 26 Oct 2019, 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 26 Oct 2019, 10:27am

brynpoeth wrote:I think six is a lot

yes you would expect the worst to happen is grazed knees or hands if you come off, as with a bike? ( the people killed on bikes are by lorrys/cars on roads?). Atleast stopping people using them on pavements is uncontroversial?

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 26 Oct 2019, 1:30pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Audax67 wrote:
kwackers wrote:France has always been keen on implementing "safety" features for road users which is odd given you often struggle finding a vehicle that isn't covered in dents and scratches.

Pardon me but that's bullshit.

Please to explain
Mind, your part of France is maybe not typical :wink:

Why, because of the high percentage of the invasive species in the local gene pool? We are admittedly overteutonized here compared to the rest of France, but I've been to most of the country, barring the Vendée, and I've never particularly thought of banged-up cars as being the norm.

kwackers wrote:Last time I was in Paris I made a point of counting the number of cars with dents and scratches compared to those without.
The dents and scratches won out in the end.

Never seen so many banged up cars.

Paris is definitely not typical. You have to be bonkers or desperate to drive (or even live) there, so if you do you deserve everything you get.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 26 Oct 2019, 2:20pm

Another thread in which cyclists rant agin' a different transport technology not because it's inherently damaging, dangerous, polluting etcetera (well, no more than is a bike) but because it's new. Whilst I fully grok the inclination to be reactionary I feel that adding the bigotry is a step too far! It's a good thing to be sceptical or even suspicious of the "new & improved" but there seems to be something of an over-reaction to the wee scooters.

Now, I would like to mention that there are other recent technological gizmos that are far worse: mobile phone (+ apps); fitness watch; disposable nappies. All doing far, far more damage to humans (and the rest of the biosphere, in some cases) than e-scooters. Will you reactionaries be giving up yours then? :-)

Cugel

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Oct 2019, 3:23pm

brynpoeth wrote:Not telling
Suggesting, nudging

Either way, that suggests that you think you know how I should live. You don't.
John

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 26 Oct 2019, 4:21pm

Cugel wrote:Another thread in which cyclists rant agin' a different transport technology not because it's inherently damaging, dangerous, polluting etcetera (well, no more than is a bike) but because it's new. Whilst I fully grok the inclination to be reactionary I feel that adding the bigotry is a step too far! It's a good thing to be sceptical or even suspicious of the "new & improved" but there seems to be something of an over-reaction to the wee scooters.

Now, I would like to mention that there are other recent technological gizmos that are far worse: mobile phone (+ apps); fitness watch; disposable nappies. All doing far, far more damage to humans (and the rest of the biosphere, in some cases) than e-scooters. Will you reactionaries be giving up yours then? :-)

Cugel

Nah, I actually think the things are quite kewl. But for the limitations on them I'd chuck one in the boot of the car.

As I said, though, their demise would be good for the rivers.

I wonder if you could do the Ventoux on one?
Have we got time for another cuppa?

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 4:28pm

Audax67 wrote:As I said, though, their demise would be good for the rivers.

As in the ones that end up in there?

More a problem for the hire systems I would think? I suspect hire bikes suffer the same fate.

Shame to waste those batteries though.
I still fancy making myself some sort of electric "car" based on four hub motors - free batteries would make me take it a bit more seriously...

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 26 Oct 2019, 4:42pm

:wink: :wink:
kwackers wrote:
Audax67 wrote:As I said, though, their demise would be good for the rivers.

As in the ones that end up in there?

More a problem for the hire systems I would think? I suspect hire bikes suffer the same fate.

Shame to waste those batteries though.
I still fancy making myself some sort of electric "car" based on four hub motors - free batteries would make me take it a bit more seriously...

Had Maplin's not folded you could have got a battery car from them :wink:

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 26 Oct 2019, 5:18pm

kwackers wrote:(snip)

Although I can't find it now, I read an article somewhere on the interweb about future electric cars that talked more about motor development than the usual battery development. Apparently there's a lot of research going on with the motors to basically make them more efficient. One method will see cars with the motors provided as part of the wheels rather than as a separate component ("the engine"). This will make the car waste less energy on transmission losses, as well as providing better traction via control software and sensors that make each wheel motor provide the right degree of drive/traction/regen braking for the conditions that wheel encounters.

There's also moves to simplify the electric motors via 3D printing techniques that make the motor more monolithic instead of a being a group of bolted or wired together components. This will again see less energy loss due to hysteresis currents as well as less heat generation and loss.

Cugel

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Oct 2019, 6:16pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Suggesting, nudging

Rubbish
Please leave me alone
Last edited by brynpoeth on 26 Oct 2019, 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Oct 2019, 6:17pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Suggesting, nudging

Rubbish, please leave me alone

Certainly.
John