escooters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee
Posts: 1164
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby francovendee » 26 Oct 2019, 7:25pm

Audax67 wrote:
kwackers wrote:France has always been keen on implementing "safety" features for road users which is odd given you often struggle finding a vehicle that isn't covered in dents and scratches.


Pardon me but that's bullshit.


Our neighbours all drive respectable cars, not always new. French tend to look after their belongings, cars included.
I remember France 30 years ago did have a large number of very old cars still in use, these were often a bit care worn.
The Control Technique gets regularly made harder and this has had the effect removing wrecks off the road.
I'm reliably informed the motor bikes don't need to be tested. To my mind that's almost criminal.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14721
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby mjr » 26 Oct 2019, 7:39pm

merseymouth wrote:Accept the fact they ain't lawfully compliant, keep them that way.

They are legal in France AFAIK.

Though I may make a special exception for the "Power Boots" of Professor Calculus? TFN MM

Marlinspike Hall is in France. I have been there, both on foot and by bike. Much quicker by bike... Which is why I bike. I am lazy but bike is often quicker. Personally, I don't fancy an escooter because I quite like the human speed of cycling but I don't mind sharing cycleways and roads with them. Better than when we have to share with cars!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

kwackers
Posts: 14020
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby kwackers » 26 Oct 2019, 10:34pm

Cugel wrote:Although I can't find it now, I read an article somewhere on the interweb about future electric cars that talked more about motor development than the usual battery development. Apparently there's a lot of research going on with the motors to basically make them more efficient. One method will see cars with the motors provided as part of the wheels rather than as a separate component ("the engine"). This will make the car waste less energy on transmission losses, as well as providing better traction via control software and sensors that make each wheel motor provide the right degree of drive/traction/regen braking for the conditions that wheel encounters.

There's also moves to simplify the electric motors via 3D printing techniques that make the motor more monolithic instead of a being a group of bolted or wired together components. This will again see less energy loss due to hysteresis currents as well as less heat generation and loss.

Cugel

I read that very same article.

My take on using 4 hub motors was more for the simplicity.
I initially was thinking about how simple a "car" I could get away with - starting at almost your basic pram wheeled go-kart (albeit using bike wheels).
I figured four 1kw hubs would make for a usable quad type vehicle. But then I started thinking about more serious vehicles, proper welded up chassis and decent hubs / brakes etc.
There are a few companies will sell you hub motors ready to go in such a vehicle.

Not that I'm short of ideas I'd like to play with so I suspect it'll be never be more than a bit of mental entertainment.

<edit>
I wonder if it would be possible to get a simple quad using bicycle wheels/hubs through SVA. The SVA website suggests it would be a "light quadricycle", wonder what limitations that puts on the design...

User avatar
hondated
Posts: 2381
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 7:59am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby hondated » 27 Oct 2019, 12:58pm

reohn2 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi, A pointless, faddy, childish toy!

That's just not true,they can be a very efficient means of short hop tramsport

Very true John. I met a young girl, back in the Summer, who owned one as I struggled lifting my bike over a railway bridge.
She was telling me that as you would expect its power is limited but more importantly how owning it had made her life a bit easier.
She was now able to use it to get to her job which was 5 miles away and it saved her time and perhaps more importantly money as she no longer needed to use public transport.
I of cause said to her that a bike would do the same but she said that she did not have the confidence to cycle on the road.

merseymouth
Posts: 1375
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby merseymouth » 27 Oct 2019, 2:46pm

Hi all, I think I can see a way of supplementing my meagre pension? A form of "Carbon Offsetting" !
The bone idle so & so's who can't be bothered to walk even quite reasonable distances can pay me to do the walk for them, they just have to cough up the dosh? If it works for Elton John & The Minor Prince, they should suit me!I won't come cheap, but they can feel the inner warmth that comes from helping the needy. Wouldn't need a begging bowl hen :lol: . TTFN MM

mercalia
Posts: 12293
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby mercalia » 27 Oct 2019, 3:07pm

hondated wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi, A pointless, faddy, childish toy!

That's just not true,they can be a very efficient means of short hop tramsport

Very true John. I met a young girl, back in the Summer, who owned one as I struggled lifting my bike over a railway bridge.
She was telling me that as you would expect its power is limited but more importantly how owning it had made her life a bit easier.
She was now able to use it to get to her job which was 5 miles away and it saved her time and perhaps more importantly money as she no longer needed to use public transport.
I of cause said to her that a bike would do the same but she said that she did not have the confidence to cycle on the road.


where was she riding then? On the pavement? In France that would be not allowed under the new regulations

mercalia
Posts: 12293
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby mercalia » 27 Oct 2019, 3:09pm

kwackers wrote:
Cugel wrote:Although I can't find it now, I read an article somewhere on the interweb about future electric cars that talked more about motor development than the usual battery development. Apparently there's a lot of research going on with the motors to basically make them more efficient. One method will see cars with the motors provided as part of the wheels rather than as a separate component ("the engine"). This will make the car waste less energy on transmission losses, as well as providing better traction via control software and sensors that make each wheel motor provide the right degree of drive/traction/regen braking for the conditions that wheel encounters.

There's also moves to simplify the electric motors via 3D printing techniques that make the motor more monolithic instead of a being a group of bolted or wired together components. This will again see less energy loss due to hysteresis currents as well as less heat generation and loss.

Cugel

I read that very same article.

My take on using 4 hub motors was more for the simplicity.
I initially was thinking about how simple a "car" I could get away with - starting at almost your basic pram wheeled go-kart (albeit using bike wheels).
I figured four 1kw hubs would make for a usable quad type vehicle. But then I started thinking about more serious vehicles, proper welded up chassis and decent hubs / brakes etc.
There are a few companies will sell you hub motors ready to go in such a vehicle.

Not that I'm short of ideas I'd like to play with so I suspect it'll be never be more than a bit of mental entertainment.

<edit>
I wonder if it would be possible to get a simple quad using bicycle wheels/hubs through SVA. The SVA website suggests it would be a "light quadricycle", wonder what limitations that puts on the design...



like these motors?

Image

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=133165

kwackers
Posts: 14020
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby kwackers » 27 Oct 2019, 3:57pm

mercalia wrote:like these motors?

Possibly yes.
You can get 1kw hub motors quite cheaply, four of them in a simply quad would be pretty cool.

There's that Swedish(?) guy now I come to think about it that has done something similar don't think it has 4 motors though, but I think it's based on a bicycle drive chain.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11967
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Jan 2020, 7:47am

Abandoned scooters are ubiquitous, I often move them out of the way
They are heavy and unwieldy
I was glad to see that someone had heaved two off the pavement and over a shoulder-high fence into a cemetery
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9959
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby Cunobelin » 5 Jan 2020, 9:45am

reohn2 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi, A pointless, faddy, childish toy!

That's just not true,they can be a very efficient means of short hop tramsport


Safety is obviously not a concern for the numpties that use then, nor does the safety of other appear on their radar

How do you come to that conclusion?

So why not a blanket ban on all machines that don't have a proper braking system in place? MM

Do they not have a brake?



In fact the problem was recent with the brakes (the ones they don't have?) due to a now fixed software glitch, they would brake excessively and inappropriately. LIme reported that after a software update, the system could crash, activating the anti-theft mechanism locking the brakes.

One does wonder how many of these injuries and deaths were due to this worldwide glitch, as opposed to normal operation.

As for the brakes themselves:





I have used these for short hops in Rome,, Lisbon and other cities and providing you are sensible, they are perfectly safe and for station hops, they are an excellent commuter tool reducing use of cars.

What is far more worrying. is the move to bigger versions

Image

windmiller
Posts: 491
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby windmiller » 5 Jan 2020, 5:22pm

Today while out on the bike and descending a hill at nearly 30mph a top knotted imbecile flew by me on a small wheeled standing electric scooter.

mercalia
Posts: 12293
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby mercalia » 5 Jan 2020, 8:31pm

Image

well they are motor bikes?

mercalia
Posts: 12293
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby mercalia » 5 Jan 2020, 8:33pm

windmiller wrote:Today while out on the bike and descending a hill at nearly 30mph a top knotted imbecile flew by me on a small wheeled standing electric scooter.



yes I think I mentioned seeing some one on one going down the very steep hill at Crystal Palace London

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6310
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Jan 2020, 1:54pm

There's a guy I see dropping down the one way hill in Lancaster entering the Quay at speed. He's riding a single wheel contraption in a skateboard orientation. The wheel is 3/4 foot wide and like alow profile gocart wheel. The board he stands on has a line of bright red lights rearwards pointing and white forwards pointing.

He goes faster than the car traffic and cycle traffic round that bend such that I doubt he could stop quick enough.

He must have been involved in an accident because he disappeared for a bit then came back as fast as ever but now wearing helmet and body armour.

What's your view on that transportation method?

I find it amusing to read the ever so tiny signs in Halfords saying they're not road or footpath legal in the UK and should only be used on private property. Nobody but me probably reads them. Halfords certainly won't highlight it incase someone takes it onboard and they lose a sale.

djnotts
Posts: 1323
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Postby djnotts » 6 Jan 2020, 1:57pm

mercalia wrote:Image

well they are motor bikes?


Saw some of these in Portugal and I SO WANT ONE!