How good is the world's most expensive whisky?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: How good is the world's most expensive whisky?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Nobody mentions rum. Anyone been to that pub in Brixton that imports good rum? Apparently 90 different rums and they all taste as varied at single malt depending on the plantation/ distillery that makes it.

Parents came back from a jamaican holiday with a bottle of rum. £5 bottle that's not sold over here. Sold on Greek islands, usa and many countries they've travelled in across Europe but not the UK. Rum is looked down on or considered a drink to dilute with coke. Try it neat IF you can get something special imported. There's some real variation. Once heard a spirits buff say he could blind taste where a particular jamaican rum came from. He really liked and appreciated rum but still had to taste whisky/whiskey for a living!

As to floral notes and the like in wine. Once saw a documentary where the BBC had got hold of the price list for one of three biggest suppliers to the European or world wine producers. The price list was over 300 chemicals licensed for addition to wine within the UK and the tasting notes imparted by those chemicals. Basically, most wine is artificial these days apparently. It was from a good few years ago now about when there was a French wine scandal about illegal additives found in French wine.

It's mostly false!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cugel wrote:One question I must ask of habitual whisky drinkers. ..... In the tele dramas, particularly those portraying events in the Blighty of of your own early years (1903-12) large tweedy men are seen downing tumblers of neat whisky in one or two swallowy-gulps. Does anyone actually drink whisky like that? Surely such an amount gurgled into the stomach so quickly would kill even a large and florid Scotsman?

Cugel

I moved to Scotland 37 years ago my local back then, The Ship Inn, in Melrose served spirits in 1/4 of a gill measures. The locals would ask for a whisky chaser. A measure of whisky chased down with halftime a pint of heavy. Yes the whisky was often swallowed in a couple of swigs then they killed time drinking the rest of the beer until they repeated the order.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Swigs are a perfectly valid way of drinking spirits. Obvious reason to get drunk quickly but also to warm up when you get in on a cold day. Colds benefit from a quick swig too. If you like the alcohol burn on the back of the throat needs a swig. A snifter when it's your round with a bunch of southern Jessie's at university before returning with the pints. There's always one of them claiming to slum it with his northern mates, truth is he's a bit thick and failed to get into cambridge or oxford.

Loads of reasons. Plus quickest way to the next! :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Paulatic wrote:
Cugel wrote:One question I must ask of habitual whisky drinkers. ..... In the tele dramas, particularly those portraying events in the Blighty of of your own early years (1903-12) large tweedy men are seen downing tumblers of neat whisky in one or two swallowy-gulps. Does anyone actually drink whisky like that? Surely such an amount gurgled into the stomach so quickly would kill even a large and florid Scotsman?

Cugel

I moved to Scotland 37 years ago my local back then, The Ship Inn, in Melrose served spirits in 1/4 of a gill measures. The locals would ask for a whisky chaser. A measure of whisky chased down with halftime a pint of heavy. Yes the whisky was often swallowed in a couple of swigs then they killed time drinking the rest of the beer until they repeated the order.

I remember the old fellahs in the Kingshouse (Rannoch Moor) always turned over the whisky glass to shake the last few precious drops into the heavy.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's common thing. I've seen it in pubs from new forest to newton Stewart and many places between. I've done it without thinking before now.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We also used to drop the shot glass into three pint before drinking it too but that's different.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:That's common thing. I've seen it in pubs from new forest to newton Stewart and many places between. I've done it without thinking before now.

Indeed. I was a naïve young Sassenach climber who had not seen it before.
I was a pearl diver in the hotel and I could get up and down the Buchaille between finishing washing up the midday dishes and the staff tea before the evening shift.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, I seem to have wandered into he watering hole set aside for Philistines? Knocking back the dram, belting it down in gulps???
Drinking spirits like that one might as well drink Meths! :twisted: . To merely pour intoxicating liquids down the gullet is louche, with craftsmen, vintners, brew masters all practising the dark art to perfect variations on "Liquid Gold", it is seriously disrespectful to merely treat it as lighter fuel.
If one looks at the now standard tasting glass for whisky, the Fettercairn Glass, it is made to create a nosing experience, to identify the signature notes in the drink.
As previous posters have said, the different tastes on the palette is a personal thing, to each their own.
I actually only drink the stuff for "Medicinal Reasons", as the local water can leave a nasty taste in the mouth :wink: . TTFN MM
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again, I seem to have wandered into he watering hole set aside for Philistines? Knocking back the dram, belting it down in gulps???

The difference between sipping whisky and gulping whisky?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

merseymouth wrote:Drinking spirits like that one might as well drink Meths! :twisted: . TTFN MM

Well meths could be preferable to some single malt whiskies imho. We've all ended up in an establishment with a fine array of malts and spent the evenings of the trip working around the stock of bottles only to reach "the medicine"!

PS George IV hotel in Eskdale. Years ago the landlord was a fine collector and connoisseur of Malts. A fine cellar he shared with customers for a fee. Some were £60, a measure!! He had bought a few last barrel from a good year's production. He sold up but I never heard if he left the whole cellar. Anyone care to check it out and report back?
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mike Sales wrote:
I remember the old fellahs in the Kingshouse (Rannoch Moor) always turned over the whisky glass to shake the last few precious drops into the heavy.

You'll never get it all out that way, much better to pour some beer into the whisky glass and give it a swill. I do like a drop of whisky (and definitely not whiskey). Much prefer Islays to any other, preferably Caol Ila. AT Château T I also have a little selection of rum. Got to be careful of the Hick's tho (St Austell, 71%). Too much of that and you end up getting engaged :oops:
Regarding casks, the answer is sherry cask- whisky cask - barrel aged beer cask. Just come back from the Netherlands with 100 euro of beer from de Molen, many of them barrel aged. A lot of them are bb dated until 2030 so they're happy sitting in the shed waiting for a suitable occaision
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote: We've all ended up in an establishment with a fine array of malts and spent the evenings of the trip working around the stock of bottles only to reach "the medicine"!

Port Askaig Hotel, Islay.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I just acquired two bottles of Bowmore legend in presentation cases with cut glass nosing glasses. Cost £40. And who says there's a recession looming! Happy Xmas to one and all (hiccup!)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I spent quite a few years making Littlemill which is sadly now defunct. Finished my career in whisky making the good Tobermory which had to be called Ledaig as the Tobermory name was owned by somebody else. The more recent production was totally different. They have now gone on to gin which makes more economic sense.
Starting up a new distillery on an island with no suitable infrastructure was quite an adventure and required much hard work but was enjoyable and rewarding while it lasted.
The best whisky is the one you like best - easy.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ambodach wrote:The best whisky is the one you like best - easy.
The best whisky is best poured down the sink.

The best whisky is the one you like best - easy.
Forget it, it's awful.
Mick F. Cornwall