Gulls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Gulls

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Cugel
I can't point to any diseases spread to humans,that doesn't mean I wish to see a proliferation of the feral pigeon population.

A question to both yourself and Pete75,what level of the pigeon or rat population would you tolerate living in or on your house or garden.I'm thinking the number would be less than fifty of either species.

We have loads of pigeons in our garden. There's about 15 wood pigeons feeding on the lawn at the moment. I don't mind them. There's also a rookery in the garden. 20 nests last year, so a few more this year. I don't mind the rooks either. I don't see the point of mentioning rats in a thread about birds but there must be quite a few about judging by the number the cats bring back though I suspect they kill most of these in the farm yard across the road which has a large grain store.
My point is that if you want pigeons to be controlled as pests then it's Wood Pigeons you need to focus on not the feral pigeons which confine themselves to urban areas.

I haven't a problem with controlling any pests which is my point,some people seem to take the opposite view.

When BoJo & The Ergs come to power, with Farango as Chief of the new Trump Liaison Office, both you and I are likely to be defined as "pests" and a Tommy Robinson sent 'round to "control" us with extreme prejudice. Look out for figures with bowler hats, braces and big made-up eyes shouting "Horror show"!

Cugel, pestering you just now. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Killed a biting fly yesterday. What a mess on the palm from such a small thing. Then a half an hour later I spotted a bite had come up. Little bother had bitten me just before it's demise. I claim self defence! :wink: :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:.........

That'll be reet :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
We have loads of pigeons in our garden. There's about 15 wood pigeons feeding on the lawn at the moment. I don't mind them. There's also a rookery in the garden. 20 nests last year, so a few more this year. I don't mind the rooks either. I don't see the point of mentioning rats in a thread about birds but there must be quite a few about judging by the number the cats bring back though I suspect they kill most of these in the farm yard across the road which has a large grain store.
My point is that if you want pigeons to be controlled as pests then it's Wood Pigeons you need to focus on not the feral pigeons which confine themselves to urban areas.

I haven't a problem with controlling any pests which is my point,some people seem to take the opposite view.

When BoJo & The Ergs come to power, with Farango as Chief of the new Trump Liaison Office, both you and I are likely to be defined as "pests" and a Tommy Robinson sent 'round to "control" us with extreme prejudice. Look out for figures with bowler hats, braces and big made-up eyes shouting "Horror show"!

nah they will just put some thing in the water?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:
100%JR wrote:
Typical hypocritical statement.
Calling a legitimate action “murderous” and labelling certain people “savages” is actually quite offensive....but you knew that...and you also know how to get around your post being deleted.
I’ll ask again re your earlier rambling.What has West Yorkshire got to do with this thread?

He huffed and he puffed and he .... just went red in the face. :-)

Cugel

So I'll ask a third time.What has West Yorkshire got to do with this thread?Please clarify.You're very good a making comments then not replying to them.I'm beginning to think you and Natural Ankling are one and the same as you both seem to skirt around answering questions regarding your posts.

And you are good at what :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Well, it is possible that you are my alter-ego; my Mr Hyde to the Jekyll. :-)

I am good at everything, of course. Well, nearly everything; of the things I attempt; well, the things I admit to attempting. IMHO, mind (which is infallible though).

You are obviously none of them but much more Hyde-like. Oh yes you are! Iss, iss - I am definitely the Jekyll.

On the other hand, I don't recall making up the beaker of transformative grog to gulp............. or any gulping of such grog. Perhaps there's something in that dark chocolate?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Oh.......Thread drift :(
Gulls are somewhat irritating A bit like rats.
At least they have no teeth and you can see them coming.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Oh.......Thread drift :(
Gulls are somewhat irritating A bit like rats.
At least they have no teeth and you can see them coming.

They have hard hard beaks. With the beaks they do peck, often with an unerring accuracy. A swan once got me on the kneecap whilst on the edge of Grasmere's lovely shimmer. It wanted my sandwich and knew how to get it! (It was well-practiced at demanding sandwiches with menaces). As you will realise, a swan is rather like a Very Large gull.

On the other hand, the greater blackback (as well as the minor ilk) are truly merciless. They eat puffins on the wing! I once observed one stalking a kitten that thought it was stalking the gull. The kitty hadn't got the notion of perspective yet so thought the gull was small when at the other end of the path from the front door, sat on the gatepost with a glint in it's greedy eye.

But swans, gulls, kittens and all creatures have that impulse to survive and prosper. Generally they do so without laying waste to everything, unlike the human. Even a chicken-coop raiding fox is really just practicing the necessary art of hunting like a fox.

The issue is: what is a pest to such a degree it requires eradication or the cull? The answer is elusive as humans are far too ready to define anything and everything as pestilential should they be inconvenienced for but one second. And the culling is often an end in itself, with the "pest" allegation a feeble excuse for having and indulging in bloodlust.

When the aliens come and Schwarzenegger is unavailable, we will learn the hard way how it feels to be culled for just existing. Well, we would learn if we weren't just trophy pelts on the alien's belt. No one learns anything once they're a trophy-pelt.

Cugel, about to eat quorn mince.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I haven't a problem with controlling any pests which is my point,some people seem to take the opposite view.

Reading some of Cugels posts I think he has something in the water already. Actually I suspect there isn't much water with that something if you get my meaning.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Reading some of Cugels posts I think he has something in the water already. Actually I suspect there isn't much water with that something if you get my meaning.

If you are meaning the grog, not so. My alcohol intake is about two glasses of red wine (125ml size) a week at most - more likely just one or none. Once a 6-week I might go out for a pub meal and sup two fine pints of beer. The dark choc must be doing it, then.

However, something happened in my yoof that took off them cultural blinkers they put on you at skool. It was about 1968, although they say if you can remember such things you weren't there. :-)

In truth there seems more understanding in the surreal than in today's "reality", which often has a suspicious aspect of being constructed by a script writer with a very poor grasp of continuity; and written for an amateur dramatic club in Little Pillock, Rutland, Ingerlandland.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:
He huffed and he puffed and he .... just went red in the face. :-)

Cugel

So I'll ask a third time.What has West Yorkshire got to do with this thread?Please clarify.You're very good a making comments then not replying to them.I'm beginning to think you and Natural Ankling are one and the same as you both seem to skirt around answering questions regarding your posts.

And you are good at what :roll:

Sniffing out Trolls...... :roll: ....... :wink:....... :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think it's already been mentioned in that fact I'm hundred percent sure it's already been mentioned (Moderator Vorpol)that those who call people out as to being or they think they are suspect et cetera trolls, leads to Exasperating discussions into mudslinging.
So that's two things you're good at, Make that three – also thread drifting.

Back on subject not heard a lot of gulls lately But we are several miles from the coast a few even to be more accurate.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I think it's already been mentioned in that fact I'm hundred percent sure it's already been mentioned (Moderator Vorpol)that those who call people out as to being or they think they are suspect et cetera trolls, leads to Exasperating discussions into mudslinging.

Back on subject not heard a lot of gulls lately But we are several miles from the coast a few even to be more accurate.

Hit a nerve did I?
Not mudslinging just pointing out facts :roll:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:

Hit a nerve did I?
Not mudslinging just pointing out facts :roll:

!00, old tyke, I do enjoy your often incautious posts and feel that you don't wish to be a troll yourself really (perhaps).... but .... for one often bandying about the accusation, at often but a slight mock of your sometimes very provocative language, you are a bit of a pot (or maybe the kettle). I mean, your very signature on each post is a trolling of those sensitive to the antics of speed demon Toads and the money-mad fracking despoilers. And I recall you admitting that this signature is specifically designed by you to troll a few forum members with whom you have disagreed in the past!

You are a naughty boy, innit? Mayhap you are a pest. :-)

Cugel, doing a prefect.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fracking is only banned unless and until..
Explained a fragrant Tory MP :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies