** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 31 Oct 2019, 5:12pm

Hi,
Psamathe wrote:
Graham wrote:Hmmm . . . . I've just heard Jeremy Corbyn kicking off the Labour campaign . . . . regarding NHS - the choreographed mob chanting "Not for sale : Not for sale : Not for sale . . . . . . "

I saw Corbyn "all fired up" on TV last night (surrounded by his auditioned entourage). It was embarrassing, it's just not him or not what he's good at.

Ian

I am not knocking labour here But that's my opinion of him when he attempts to get fired up.
he just looks uncomfortable.

Like Mick, I voted for our local MP last time round (tory), And now I don't remember because I know I voted for that other party as well, Anyway our local MP has swapped parties twice since that day we woke up to find the result.
So I haven't got a clue who I will be voting for and at moment or what party.
But you know I will vote for what I want.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 31 Oct 2019, 5:25pm

Mick F wrote:The issue I have, is that I'm a lifelong labour supporter in everything except I want us to leave the EU, and labour don't.

I sense your pain.

I thought long and hard (I do hope that we all did) and on balance, I would prefer to leave the EU.

I have voted Labour since I was 18 (I'm now 62) but I'm not voting Labour this time-what a dreadful shower of chancers.

I simply cannot vote Tory as I'm not 'wired' that way-the local MP is a Tory and he voted for Mrs May's deal every time it was proposed but I still couldn't vote for him.

There are many of us here (NE England) who are in EXACTLY my boat-where to now ???

Lib/Dem out for obvious reason.

Looks like Mr Farage gets our X

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Oct 2019, 5:28pm

al_yrpal wrote:Quite liked all of them actually Pete, but they were so overshadowed by Mrs T it was hard to determine what their actual politics were. Hesa was our MP before Boris. I met both briefly. Boris saved our pub! Its still going strong.

Al

You didn't give that impression - appeared to be knocking them. I don't think Thatcher ever managed to overshadow Heseltine.

The point is though the country is very divided and really need a PM and government that will bring it together rather than one which will widen the rift. What we're likely to get will widen the rift and Johnson won't give a damn as long as there is 1 more voter on his side of the rift than he other.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Oct 2019, 5:29pm

Tiberius wrote:
Mick F wrote:The issue I have, is that I'm a lifelong labour supporter in everything except I want us to leave the EU, and labour don't.

I sense your pain.

I thought long and hard (I do hope that we all did) and on balance, I would prefer to leave the EU.

I have voted Labour since I was 18 (I'm now 62) but I'm not voting Labour this time-what a dreadful shower of chancers.

I simply cannot vote Tory as I'm not 'wired' that way-the local MP is a Tory and he voted for Mrs May's deal every time it was proposed but I still couldn't vote for him.

There are many of us here (NE England) who are in EXACTLY my boat-where to now ???

Lib/Dem out for obvious reason.

Looks like Mr Farage gets our X

You don't like the Tories yet you will vote for a party far to the right of them?

Debs

Postby Debs » 31 Oct 2019, 6:10pm

Shouldn't the title of this thread be call ** The General Brexit Election Tread ** ???

Anyway, i see the fascist Brexit Party have stood down truck loads of their MP candidates to help boost Tory Nasty Party numbers.

Would be a smart idea for Labour, Lib Dem, TIGers, and Greens to get their heads together and get organised on the old standing down to boost the most potential Remain candidate winner trick.

All's fair in loathe and war.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 31 Oct 2019, 6:20pm

The Tories have become a different party. They've excommunicated the old school members. Even Nicky Morgan has gone. The new candidates will be of he right to out tough Farage's lot
John

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 31 Oct 2019, 6:28pm

Could we be heading for a post-election Lib-Lab pact? Or should that be Lab-Lib?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 31 Oct 2019, 6:47pm

Spinners wrote:Could we be heading for a post-election Lib-Lab pact? Or should that be Lab-Lib?

I predict a Tory-Lab coalition.

Or not.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Oct 2019, 7:00pm

Anything Could Happen
Chairperson May called an election, expected to get a majority, look what happened to her
'I got us into this mess, I shall get us out of it' :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 31 Oct 2019, 7:14pm

At last Trump has come out and told us who we should be voting for.

Ian

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Oct 2019, 7:50pm

Psamathe wrote:At last Trump has come out and told us who we should be voting for.

Ian

Of course he wants his creature in Downing Street. It's probably of more significance who Putin wants in there.

PH

Postby PH » 31 Oct 2019, 8:04pm

Spinners wrote:Could we be heading for a post-election Lib-Lab pact? Or should that be Lab-Lib?

Not a chance.
We could already have that with no risk, vote of no confidence, Corbyn as PM. The Liberal tories wouldn't accept that before the election, why would anyone think they'd accept it after? Their coalition put us on this road and their pettiness blew the best opportunity to get off it. I used to consider the Liberal Party to be principled but ineffective, now they're just ineffective.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 31 Oct 2019, 9:41pm

Is there anyone on here who not only knows who they're voting for, but is voting for the same party as last time and the time before?

I voted Green last time, and in 2015, and in 2010. And I'll be voting Green again. Rather a thin chance as regards tactical voting, I'll agree, but the main aim is (as she acknowledges) to save her deposit. That'd be another £500 in Green coffers, which for a cash-strapped party like ours would be a godsend.

The only thing that would change that, would be if the Green stood aside to give the LibDem a clear run - or vice-versa. But I think that's unlikely, here. I know both the Green and LibDem candidates, and while they're both very nice people, they're utterly different personalities with different agendas: I don't see either of them standing aside for the other...

As to the Tory: we're getting a new one this time round; it's not yet confirmed who it'll be, but if it's who we think it is, there's a chance of some dishing-up-dirt coming her way. I doubt if it'll dent her solid majority much, though - but we'll see.

I don't know who Labour are putting up either - but they're irrelevant here.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

PH

Postby PH » 31 Oct 2019, 11:07pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Psamathe wrote:
Graham wrote:Hmmm . . . . I've just heard Jeremy Corbyn kicking off the Labour campaign . . . . regarding NHS - the choreographed mob chanting "Not for sale : Not for sale : Not for sale . . . . . . "

I saw Corbyn "all fired up" on TV last night (surrounded by his auditioned entourage). It was embarrassing, it's just not him or not what he's good at.

Ian

I am not knocking labour here But that's my opinion of him when he attempts to get fired up.
he just looks uncomfortable.

I don't have a TV so didn't see it - yet three people have commented and not one mention of the policy, just the performance. Is that it? Is this what we want, for the country to be led by the best entertainer? What was Corbyn saying? Did you agree/disagree with it?
Sadly all three are probably right, Trump was elected because people love his theatricals and twitter rants, we're going the same way.

Debs

Postby Debs » 31 Oct 2019, 11:09pm

661-Pete wrote:Is there anyone on here who not only knows who they're voting for, but is voting for the same party as last time and the time before?

Here in the Montgomery ward it's a two horse race between Tory and Lib Dem, so i vote Lib Dem tactically against the Tory.

It's historically a Liberal seat mostly but since Lembit Öpik lost the 2010 election the Tories have won repeatedly to include 2015 and 2017.
To make matters worse, the Lib Dem's came a poor 2nd in 2017 due the the Labour vote rising considerably.
It looks like Labour and Lib Dems could contest and foolishly split the Remain vote to allow the Tory another win being the only Brexit party standing.
This crazy scenario could repeat itself hundreds of time around England and Wales.

I think this coming Brexit or bust general election is going to be a real stinker :evil: