** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Rick Ashtray gets my vote :wink:

In Spain there have been four elections in four years, The People have not delivered a result that could be converted into a stable government :?

It could be but it hasn't. The challenge there is, like here, the political map is split on two vivid axes: left-right and unionist-seperatist. There is a pretty clear left majority possible but it would require compromises from both unionists and seperatists... And as seen here, those are difficult compromises to sell, overwhelmed by easy verbal pyrotechnics denouncing traitors and treason.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pete75 wrote:I notice you live in Port Talbot. Jeremy Corbyn represents a London constituency so it would be impossible for you to vote for him even if you wanted to.

Really? Has it come down to this type of post?

In my earlier post I wrote;

Spinners wrote:Jeremy Corbyn? No thanks.

It breaks my heart but I just cannot bring myself to vote for a party led by a man whose support (dressed up as 'solidarity') for terrorist organisations goes back as far as 1968 and the start of 'the troubles' - not to mention the arm he puts around despicable hate preachers like Raed Salah (inviting him for tea at the House of Commons) and his total failure to combat the anti-Semitism within the Labour Party. For most of his life in politics he has been a thorn in the side of successive Labour leaders but since he has become leader his performances in the HoC during PMQ's have been dreadful - walking into right-hooks from 'giants' like Cameron, May and now Johnson.

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:I notice you live in Port Talbot. Jeremy Corbyn represents a London constituency so it would be impossible for you to vote for him even if you wanted to.

Really? Has it come down to this type of post?

In my earlier post I wrote;

Spinners wrote:Jeremy Corbyn? No thanks.

It breaks my heart but I just cannot bring myself to vote for a party led by a man whose support (dressed up as 'solidarity') for terrorist organisations goes back as far as 1968 and the start of 'the troubles' - not to mention the arm he puts around despicable hate preachers like Raed Salah (inviting him for tea at the House of Commons) and his total failure to combat the anti-Semitism within the Labour Party. For most of his life in politics he has been a thorn in the side of successive Labour leaders but since he has become leader his performances in the HoC during PMQ's have been dreadful - walking into right-hooks from 'giants' like Cameron, May and now Johnson.

Yes you mentioned not voting for a party in the post you quoted here but in the one I replied to you said you wouldn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn. I merely pointed the impossibility of you voting for him.
Much of the so called anti-Semitism in the Labour party is because many therein oppose the Israeli treatment of Palestinians as, of course, does Raed Salah.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Dominic Grieve, former Attorney General and Chair of the Security Committee, said yesterday on LBC radio that he found Corbyn's policies ghastly but that he had integrity and sincerity and was not a terrorist sympathiser. Johnson, he said, was without integrity or sincerity and would say anything if he thought it might bring him advantage.

Fair observation.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 Nov 2019, 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:Dominic Grieve, former Attorney General and Chair of the Security Committee, said yesterday in LBC radio that he found Corbyn's policies ghastly but that he had integrity and sincerity and was not a terrorist sympathiser. Johnson, he said, was without integrity or sincerity and would say anything if he thought it might bring him advantage.

Fair observation.

The lawyer or the journalist. Who is more likely to be telling the truth, eh?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
........Much of the so called anti-Semitism in the Labour party is because many therein oppose the Israeli treatment of Palestinians......

I think that's a fair assessment of what's being termed as antisemitism in the party.
That said,it can't be denied there are antisemites in the party but to label opposition to Isael's foreign policies as antisemite is a gross misrepresentation.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I agree but the trouble is with our party whipping system and MPs who don't have or don't use their brain and just follow the party line - when you vote for an MP you are often voting to allow their party leader free reign to determine their vote (and thus your representation).

I suffer this problem with my constituency. Safe Conservative seat and an MP who ignores constituents (does not reply to correspondence) and when when presented expert evidence, just votes following the party line. This means that if I vote for him he will not be representing me but will be passing my support to his party leader.

Ian
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Any news on the TV debates?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Who is Jeremy Corbyn?

All you wanted to know and more

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/lXRUDu6qWA/corbyns-long-march
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Walking the dog this afternoon.
He couldn't care one way or another, but I'll be voting Labour.
Sod Brexit, get rid of the Tories!

IMG_0475.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:Walking the dog this afternoon.
He couldn't care one way or another, but I'll be voting Labour.
Sod Brexit, get rid of the Tories!

IMG_0475.jpg

Is this a Damascene moment!? If so, I will hold a small celebration and perhaps even sacrifice a villager in thanks! (A Brexit voter, obviously). :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

things are getting dirty?
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has claimed the Conservatives offered his candidates jobs and peerages to try to get them to stand down.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50426535

Labour has promised to give every home and business in the UK free full-fibre broadband by 2030, if it wins the general election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

I am voting Labour :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Chris Boardman now on BBC Question Time!
Edit
Chris made some very sensible comments and plugged no carbon transport very effectively.

Couldn't stand the other Muppets so turned it off and went to bed.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:things are getting dirty?
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has claimed the Conservatives offered his candidates jobs and peerages to try to get them to stand down.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50426535

Labour has promised to give every home and business in the UK free full-fibre broadband by 2030, if it wins the general election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

I am voting Labour :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If the first of these items actually happened it is criminal. It also doesn't work like that. I suspect it is either an invention in Farage's head or Domain Cummings who has no such authority.
John
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I quite enjoyed QT last night. Tory bloke came off worst I thought and it was nice to see Chris Boardman get some polite applause especially on his active travel comment (in a wider NHS question). Biggest sparks were between audience members :evil:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)