** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby mjr » 13 Nov 2019, 10:54am

brynpoeth wrote:Rick Ashtray gets my vote :wink:

In Spain there have been four elections in four years, The People have not delivered a result that could be converted into a stable government :?

It could be but it hasn't. The challenge there is, like here, the political map is split on two vivid axes: left-right and unionist-seperatist. There is a pretty clear left majority possible but it would require compromises from both unionists and seperatists... And as seen here, those are difficult compromises to sell, overwhelmed by easy verbal pyrotechnics denouncing traitors and treason.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Spinners » 13 Nov 2019, 3:10pm

pete75 wrote:I notice you live in Port Talbot. Jeremy Corbyn represents a London constituency so it would be impossible for you to vote for him even if you wanted to.


Really? Has it come down to this type of post?

In my earlier post I wrote;

Spinners wrote:Jeremy Corbyn? No thanks.

It breaks my heart but I just cannot bring myself to vote for a party led by a man whose support (dressed up as 'solidarity') for terrorist organisations goes back as far as 1968 and the start of 'the troubles' - not to mention the arm he puts around despicable hate preachers like Raed Salah (inviting him for tea at the House of Commons) and his total failure to combat the anti-Semitism within the Labour Party. For most of his life in politics he has been a thorn in the side of successive Labour leaders but since he has become leader his performances in the HoC during PMQ's have been dreadful - walking into right-hooks from 'giants' like Cameron, May and now Johnson.

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

pete75
Posts: 12289
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby pete75 » 13 Nov 2019, 11:43pm

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:I notice you live in Port Talbot. Jeremy Corbyn represents a London constituency so it would be impossible for you to vote for him even if you wanted to.


Really? Has it come down to this type of post?

In my earlier post I wrote;

Spinners wrote:Jeremy Corbyn? No thanks.

It breaks my heart but I just cannot bring myself to vote for a party led by a man whose support (dressed up as 'solidarity') for terrorist organisations goes back as far as 1968 and the start of 'the troubles' - not to mention the arm he puts around despicable hate preachers like Raed Salah (inviting him for tea at the House of Commons) and his total failure to combat the anti-Semitism within the Labour Party. For most of his life in politics he has been a thorn in the side of successive Labour leaders but since he has become leader his performances in the HoC during PMQ's have been dreadful - walking into right-hooks from 'giants' like Cameron, May and now Johnson.



Yes you mentioned not voting for a party in the post you quoted here but in the one I replied to you said you wouldn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn. I merely pointed the impossibility of you voting for him.
Much of the so called anti-Semitism in the Labour party is because many therein oppose the Israeli treatment of Palestinians as, of course, does Raed Salah.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2441
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 Nov 2019, 3:12am

Dominic Grieve, former Attorney General and Chair of the Security Committee, said yesterday on LBC radio that he found Corbyn's policies ghastly but that he had integrity and sincerity and was not a terrorist sympathiser. Johnson, he said, was without integrity or sincerity and would say anything if he thought it might bring him advantage.

Fair observation.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 Nov 2019, 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby mjr » 14 Nov 2019, 10:38am

Oldjohnw wrote:Dominic Grieve, former Attorney General and Chair of the Security Committee, said yesterday in LBC radio that he found Corbyn's policies ghastly but that he had integrity and sincerity and was not a terrorist sympathiser. Johnson, he said, was without integrity or sincerity and would say anything if he thought it might bring him advantage.

Fair observation.

The lawyer or the journalist. Who is more likely to be telling the truth, eh?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2
Posts: 37047
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby reohn2 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:42am

pete75 wrote:
........Much of the so called anti-Semitism in the Labour party is because many therein oppose the Israeli treatment of Palestinians......

I think that's a fair assessment of what's being termed as antisemitism in the party.
That said,it can't be denied there are antisemites in the party but to label opposition to Isael's foreign policies as antisemite is a gross misrepresentation.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe
Posts: 10607
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Psamathe » 14 Nov 2019, 11:07am

pete75 wrote:I notice you live in Port Talbot. Jeremy Corbyn represents a London constituency so it would be impossible for you to vote for him even if you wanted to.

I agree but the trouble is with our party whipping system and MPs who don't have or don't use their brain and just follow the party line - when you vote for an MP you are often voting to allow their party leader free reign to determine their vote (and thus your representation).

I suffer this problem with my constituency. Safe Conservative seat and an MP who ignores constituents (does not reply to correspondence) and when when presented expert evidence, just votes following the party line. This means that if I vote for him he will not be representing me but will be passing my support to his party leader.

Ian

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Spinners » 14 Nov 2019, 11:08am

Any news on the TV debates?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

mercalia
Posts: 11983
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby mercalia » 14 Nov 2019, 11:41am

Who is Jeremy Corbyn?

All you wanted to know and more

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/lXRUDu6qWA/corbyns-long-march

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47421
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Mick F » 14 Nov 2019, 7:23pm

Walking the dog this afternoon.
He couldn't care one way or another, but I'll be voting Labour.
Sod Brexit, get rid of the Tories!

IMG_0475.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2898
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Cugel » 14 Nov 2019, 9:51pm

Mick F wrote:Walking the dog this afternoon.
He couldn't care one way or another, but I'll be voting Labour.
Sod Brexit, get rid of the Tories!

IMG_0475.jpg


Is this a Damascene moment!? If so, I will hold a small celebration and perhaps even sacrifice a villager in thanks! (A Brexit voter, obviously). :-)

Cugel

mercalia
Posts: 11983
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby mercalia » 14 Nov 2019, 10:06pm

things are getting dirty?
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has claimed the Conservatives offered his candidates jobs and peerages to try to get them to stand down.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50426535

Labour has promised to give every home and business in the UK free full-fibre broadband by 2030, if it wins the general election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

I am voting Labour :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8030
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby al_yrpal » 14 Nov 2019, 10:48pm

Chris Boardman now on BBC Question Time!
Edit
Chris made some very sensible comments and plugged no carbon transport very effectively.

Couldn't stand the other Muppets so turned it off and went to bed.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2441
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Nov 2019, 8:02am

mercalia wrote:things are getting dirty?
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has claimed the Conservatives offered his candidates jobs and peerages to try to get them to stand down.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50426535

Labour has promised to give every home and business in the UK free full-fibre broadband by 2030, if it wins the general election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

I am voting Labour :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


If the first of these items actually happened it is criminal. It also doesn't work like that. I suspect it is either an invention in Farage's head or Domain Cummings who has no such authority.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Spinners » 15 Nov 2019, 8:11am

I quite enjoyed QT last night. Tory bloke came off worst I thought and it was nice to see Chris Boardman get some polite applause especially on his active travel comment (in a wider NHS question). Biggest sparks were between audience members :evil:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)