** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by Oldjohnw »

bikepacker wrote:Just as I expected the majority of people are wrong and the CUK Marxists s are right.

Not quite sure of your point but most people did not vote Tory.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, Will the Jeremiahs form an orderly queue to exit the UK, please be quiet as you go!
One point has been proved emphatically, Opinion Polls should go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IGICB MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Morning, Will the Jeremiahs form an orderly queue to exit the UK, please be quiet as you go!
One point has been proved emphatically, Opinion Polls should go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IGICB MM

Seems like you voted for a party without readimg the manifesto.

So much for one nation: telling people whose parties lost to leave the UK.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote:
djnotts wrote:I think will make Thatcher era look positively benign.

I think you are wrong about that. The mood music is different. The Tories now have, and will wish to retain, Labour heartland seats. Combine that with Boris's comments about working for all sections of society and I think you will get something more like One Nation Tory government. You will still find lots of things you don't like about it but it will not be a repeat of Thatcherism.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this election is that people believe Boris Johnson. It's astonishing.

Thatcher quoted St Francis when she won, look where that ended up.

Johnson is interested only in power, he literally doesn't care what his policies are. He has a cabinet full of ultra right wing libertarians, way beyond anything Thatcher would have supported, and they have Brexit as the smokescreen to divert attention.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Like seeing the school bully appointed head boy.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Morning, Will the Jeremiahs form an orderly queue to exit the UK, please be quiet as you go!

No! Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Or in other words you may understand: we want our country back. 48% should not seize total control.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pwa wrote:

I think you are wrong about that. The mood music is different. The Tories now have, and will wish to retain, Labour heartland seats. Combine that with Boris's comments about working for all sections of society and I think you will get something more like One Nation Tory government. You will still find lots of things you don't like about it but it will not be a repeat of Thatcherism.

It’s new slogan is 'The Peoples Government" but I doubt it’s meant for all people.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pwa wrote:I think you are wrong about that. The mood music is different. The Tories now have, and will wish to retain, Labour heartland seats. Combine that with Boris's comments about working for all sections of society and I think you will get something more like One Nation Tory government. You will still find lots of things you don't like about it but it will not be a repeat of Thatcherism.

The people in the former Labour heartlands seem happy to ignore the reality of their own lives and vote according to a handful of slogans. The government knows it doesn't need to give a toss about them.

It's a funny kind of One Nation Conservatism, stirring up hatred and xenophobia. It's not a nation I want to live in.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Paulatic wrote:
It’s new slogan is 'The Peoples Government" ...

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote:It’s new slogan is 'The Peoples Government" but I doubt it’s meant for all people.

Boris knows his history and is sending a message. "The People's Government" was the 1940 puppet government in Lithuania that authorised the Russian takeover.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pwa wrote:

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this election is that people believe Boris Johnson. It's astonishing.

Johnson is interested only in power, he literally doesn't care what his policies are. He has a cabinet full of ultra right wing libertarians, way beyond anything Thatcher would have supported, and they have Brexit as the smokescreen to divert attention.

I remember the 1979 election very clearly and the Tory message was not the same. It was one of austerity, living within our means, balancing the budget. This time the message was about spending to improve things. We are rightly sceptical about how that will play out in reality, but it is the opposite message to that of the 1979 campaign.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
pwa wrote:I think you are wrong about that. The mood music is different. The Tories now have, and will wish to retain, Labour heartland seats. Combine that with Boris's comments about working for all sections of society and I think you will get something more like One Nation Tory government. You will still find lots of things you don't like about it but it will not be a repeat of Thatcherism.

I remember the 1979 election very clearly and the Tory message was not the same. It was one of austerity, living within our means, balancing the budget. This time the message was about spending to improve things. We are rightly sceptical about how that will play out in reality, but it is the opposite message to that of the 1979 campaign.

Mrs Thatcher had lots of moderate one nation Tories in her cabinet. The leading moderate, Michael Heseltine, was even her deputy Prime Minister. Johnson is a right wing populist whohas kicked many of the leading moderate Tories out of the party and filled his cabinet with those on the right of the party, Patel, Raab, Gove etc. Actions speak louder than words. Ok your man won but do you really believe what he says?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Mrs Thatcher had lots of moderate one nation Tories in her cabinet. The leading moderate, Michael Heseltine, was even her deputy Prime Minister. Johnson is a right wing populist whohas kicked many of the leading moderate Tories out of the party and filled his cabinet with those on the right of the party, Patel, Raab, Gove etc. Actions speak louder than words. Ok your man won but do you really believe what he says?

Not my man. OK, you are in a bad mood with the election result but don't start on that one again.

But taking your main point, it will be interesting to see how the complexion of the cabinet shifts now that Boris is not so reliant on hardline Brexiters for his position.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote: This time the message was about spending to improve things...

These are the spoken words, but the manifesto does not actually support this.

Neither do the historical positions of the entire cabinet.

The main difference with 1979 is the open dishonesty of the leader.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:I remember the 1979 election very clearly and the Tory message was not the same. It was one of austerity, living within our means, balancing the budget. This time the message was about spending to improve things. We are rightly sceptical about how that will play out in reality, but it is the opposite message to that of the 1979 campaign.

Not my man. OK, you are in a bad mood with the election result but don't start on that one again.

But taking your main point, it will be interesting to see how the complexion of the cabinet shifts now that Boris is not so reliant on hardline Brexiters for his position.

I'm not in a bad mood. All that you've written implies you are a Johnson supporter - you keep defending him. Johnson has been a hard line Brexiter ever since the referendum campaign started.
What leading moderate Tories are left anyway?
Last edited by pete75 on 13 Dec 2019, 9:25am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker