Car battery charging from deep discharge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Car battery charging from deep discharge

Postby reohn2 » 11 Nov 2019, 11:27am

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Will a new battery come charged? I have a vague feeling the Bosch I got in 2016 needed charging. Can’t certainly remember.

I'm fairly sure they do have enough juice in them to start the car at least,but you can always check with the supplier.
I future if you don't use the car for long periods I'd give it a 20min run weekly to keep things operational :wink:

Just get a solar trickle charger and say no to pointless pollution creation.

Samuel D wrote:.......A few attempts at bump-starting didn’t work, perhaps because I couldn’t get enough momentum in the space available in the underground garage.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 11 Nov 2019, 12:24pm

Underground doesn't necessarily mean no sight of sky, but maybe there's some power source available besides dead Dinos.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 11 Nov 2019, 1:36pm

Samuel D wrote:Will a new battery come charged?

Honda manufactured the batteries for my Accord with the charge already on the plates, then shipped them dry with no electrolyte, so that the shelf life is indefinite, with no self-discharge. When you order one, the dealer fills it with electrolyte to activate it, which takes a few hours, first for the heat to dissipate, and then for a final top-up charge.

They were excellent, they lasted far longer than the ones from a tyre & battery shed.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 11 Nov 2019, 7:28pm

Thanks for the answers, all. It’s a shame they’re not all the same, but they give me a clearer idea of what’s possible.

The car lives a couple of floors underground with no real light. There’s no mains power but I don’t think we need it. We typically use it every couple of weeks for a decent drive (into the countryside and occasionally beyond), and it’s never hesitated to start. So I don’t think there’s any great need to change our habits.

Mick F wrote:Never left the interior light on again though! :lol:

Ha, I bet! I think we’ll probably find some other way of wreaking havoc the next time too.