Cycling....bad for nature.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
100%JR

Cycling....bad for nature.....

Post by 100%JR »

Spotted this today:-
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thousands-duc ... 52705.html
We should be ashamed of ourselves :roll:
Maybe if we started eating eggs,say for breakfast,then such wanton destruction would not be necessary :wink:
pwa

Re: Cycling....bad for nature.....

Post by pwa »

It doesn't say cycling is bad for nature. You should get a job writing headlines for a tabloid! :lol:

Controversy over culling to control the numbers of all sorts of animals is with us all the time. Pigeons, red deer, you name it. In this case the applicant is citing possible danger to cyclists as a justification, along with having loads of duck poop all over the place. I'd need to know a lot more before passing judgement.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:It doesn't say cycling is bad for nature. You should get a job writing headlines for a tabloid! :lol:

Controversy over culling to control the numbers of all sorts of animals is with us all the time. Pigeons, red deer, you name it. In this case the applicant is citing possible danger to cyclists as a justification, along with having loads of duck poop all over the place. I'd need to know a lot more before passing judgement.

well there aint any culling of people, there should be, they are the real menace?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pwa wrote:It doesn't say cycling is bad for nature. You should get a job writing headlines for a tabloid! :lol:

I said cycling is bad for nature :wink: Bit of light hearted fun etc?
Is destroying eggs culling?I don't think it is.
I wonder what the applicant(s) would say if someone turned up and shot 4500 Mallard :?
pwa

Post by pwa »

100%JR wrote:

I said cycling is bad for nature :wink: Bit of light hearted fun etc?
Is destroying eggs culling?I don't think it is.
I wonder what the applicant(s) would say if someone turned up and shot 4500 Mallard :?

I know you are having a laugh, don't worry.

I suppose it is culling if the eggs are fertilised and contain embryos.

I think the owner only took 127? eggs last time, so the scale is not that high.

My thought is, where are the natural predators. Where are the foxes and otters? Species like mallard will only proliferate in this way if the predators have been removed. Maybe a few pike in the water would sort things in a more natural way.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

We have loads of Brent geese in local park,and wardens have put them in hi-viz vests,bearing remarks injurious to cyclists.The council are inviting local businesses to sponsor a goose,and both Sheffield teams have feathered mascots,named Waddle and Curried after two star players.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mumbojumbo wrote:We have loads of Brent geese in local park,and wardens have put them in hi-viz vests,bearing remarks injurious to cyclists.The council are inviting local businesses to sponsor a goose,and both Sheffield teams have feathered mascots,named Waddle and Curried after two star players.

Endcliffe Park?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

It was Firth park.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mumbojumbo wrote:It was Firth park.

Oh Ok.I didn't realise there was a pond/lake in Firth Park!
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Well given the publicity the BBC is giving to the planet from us meat eaters a few eggs aren't going to cause many problems.
But in the long run it makes no difference if a few cows or geese or ducks or whatever are removed from our planet/diet. Until USA, China, Russia and India stop churning out millions of tonnes of polutants every day we are really just p*ssing in the wind.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

CX-3 wrote:Well given the publicity the BBC is giving to the planet from us meat eaters a few eggs aren't going to cause many problems.
But in the long run it makes no difference if a few cows or geese or ducks or whatever are removed from our planet/diet. Until USA, China, Russia and India stop churning out millions of tonnes of polutants every day we are really just p*ssing in the wind.

I can quite see why someone might think that what the U.K. does is inconsequential but, despite the seeming shambles of Westminster, what we do is still important. Keeping our own country clear of pollution and cleaning our air up does have local (to the U.K.) benefits and similarly caring for the surrounding seas can help us too. Use of green technologies and ways of life demonstrate positive possibilities to other countries and through it we influence and possibly change their actions for the better.

What happens in the USA, Russia, China, India and additional countries of mass population is important, but what they do has in part become ‘greener’ over the years and that direction will continue so long as the advantages are made visible to them. Through the U.K. leading by example we can be part of that visibility ... though we could also ‘get our act together’ better too.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.