Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by reohn2 »

Polisman wrote:If you are last minute debating who to vote for today...

This nice little video explainer pretty much sums up how Boris feels about us proles...

[youtube]6QlAcymYo-w[/youtube]

And poeple are willing to vote for this?
Incredible,f***ing incredible!
Last edited by reohn2 on 12 Dec 2019, 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think we've all got what we deserve. Righties have boris representing them and lefties have Corbyn (supported by McDonnell and Mccluskey). I'm not sure who has come out best with those two leaders, if anyone. I only know being centrist in politics I'm certainly a loser in British politics right now. Sad times all round.

You know what you're going to get with BoJo - you've already got it!

Corbyn, who knows but if he turns out to be crap at least he might have turned the USS Great Britain away from the rapids.
IMO can't be worse than more of the same - hard to imagine what he'd have to do.

So more of the same or something new?
I know where my vote is going.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So more of the same or a big step into the unknown with a leader the quality and politics of Corbyn. Which cliff edge do you want Britain to jump off?
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I spent three years at Oxford university in the unavoidable company of far too many self centred, privileged, idiots like Boris. Oxford does attract the cream of British society but only in the sense that they are rich and thick.

The thought of 5 years with our very own Trump-esq narcissistic misogynist, who will look out for number one (and maybe a few of his rich friends) to the exclusion of everyone else fills me with horror.

In our archaic FPTP electoral system we have only two choices and for all Corbyn's faults ANYONE is better than Boris.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If Corbyn is useless the people will either vote for him again or get rid of him.

If Johnson gets in we'll be stuck with his no-deal Brexit for half a century. Not only Brexit but control over the judiciary and even the Queen's prorogative. By which time we'll be another US state.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:So more of the same or a big step into the unknown with a leader the quality and politics of Corbyn. Which cliff edge do you want Britain to jump off?

Quality? Depends what you mean by quality. I'm bored with reading stuff about him that I can't find (despite looking) any basis in fact for.
Why do people even try? Either there's a genuine problem in which case link to it or ****.

"He's talked to terrorists so he's a terrorist" - yeah, so the only way to deal with them is to keep fighting until what? The UK government deals with terrorists every day, we not only talk to them we hand them trade deals.

"He's anti-Semite" - well if criticism of Israel amounts to Antisemitism then me too, otherwise I've still not found any answers as to what supposedly is going on - which I frankly find amazing considering how much noise it generates.

"He'll make us commies" (as per another post). Grow up.

"We're heading back to the 70's". Seriously, grow up.

BoJo and trump are the sort of politician we get with the new politics, soundbites that are easy for your average lazy thinker to get their head round and something that I guess passes for 'boyish charm' to win across more of the same voters and look good on TV. Substance not required.
People don't even care about the lies - that's how far we've come!

For all his faults I genuinely believe Corbyn wants the best for "us" whereas BoJo just wants the best for BoJo.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One bright thought in this dismall rainy day? We wont be hearing any of Boris' or the tory lie machine lies, well just for today :D

Goodness, today is going to be very very boring. How can I get my entertainemnt :(
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting interview between three retiring MPs from labour, LibDems and conservatives, all three big hitters in their party at one time and generally respected within and outside of their parties. Iirc it was the labour politician who said Corbyn hasn't changed from the 70s.

I can't remember the labour lady's name but she predates Blair so you probably can't write her comments off as Tory lite like you can Blair and his lot.

Personally I don't see Corbyn as of a particular time I see him as a protester or campaigner type. I believe his talents lay elsewhere than leader of a party or as MP. In some ways he's wasted doing that.

BTW not many see Corbyn as the anti semite, more as a leader who has failed to react to it's rise in prominence. Although I reckon it's more that he's not got full control over the party machine and those that should be making the hard steps aren't. To lose MPs because of it is a failure.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:So more of the same or a big step into the unknown with a leader the quality and politics of Corbyn. Which cliff edge do you want Britain to jump off?

Quality? Depends what you mean by quality. I'm bored with reading stuff about him that I can't find (despite looking) any basis in fact for.
Why do people even try? Either there's a genuine problem in which case link to it or stfu.

Quite!

"He's talked to terrorists so he's a terrorist" - yeah, so the only way to deal with them is to keep fighting until what? The UK government deals with terrorists every day, we not only talk to them we hand them trade deals

Check!

"He's anti-Semite" - well if criticism of Israel amounts to Antisemitism then me too, otherwise I've still not found any answers as to what supposedly is going on - which I frankly find amazing considering how much noise it generates.

I must be an antisemite then,the noise comes from the frightened the rich and privileged who may have to pay more taxes AFAICS

"He'll make us commies" (as per another post). Grow up

It really is unbelievable what some folk will swallow.
Yours
A Trot esq

"We're heading back to the 70's". Seriously, grow up

And pigs will fly

BoJo and trump are the sort of politician we get with the new politics, soundbites that are easy for your average lazy thinker to get their head round and something that I guess passes for 'boyish charm' to win across more of the same voters and look good on TV. Substance not required
Agreed!

People don't even care about the lies - that's how far we've come!

Such as one poster on this thread,there are many more.
One thing's for sure Labour won't get everything done they claim,but I sure we'll see a much fairer society and a better country should they win.

For all his faults I genuinely believe Corbyn wants the best for "us" whereas BoJo just wants the best for BoJo.

Spot on!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Interesting interview between three retiring MPs from labour, LibDems and conservatives, all three big hitters in their party at one time and generally respected within and outside of their parties. Iirc it was the labour politician who said Corbyn hasn't changed from the 70s.

I can't remember the labour lady's name but she predates Blair so you probably can't write her comments off as Tory lite like you can Blair and his lot.

Personally I don't see Corbyn as of a particular time I see him as a protester or campaigner type. I believe his talents lay elsewhere than leader of a party or as MP. In some ways he's wasted doing that.

BTW not many see Corbyn as the anti semite, more as a leader who has failed to react to it's rise in prominence. Although I reckon it's more that he's not got full control over the party machine and those that should be making the hard steps aren't. To lose MPs because of it is a failure.

Show me where it's rise in prominence is within the Labour party,show me where he's failed to do something about it
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It seems views on Corbyn are heavily biased by political views but it's universal that everyone dislikes boris.

However I'd still rather vote Tory than labour because I do believe a lot of labour policies are not in the national interest. I don't agree with a lot of Tory policies too but overall imho they're better than labour ones right now. If only we had a Miliband leading labour!

Of course we're all allowed our political viewpoints no matter how widely they differ.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote:It seems views on Corbyn are heavily biased by political views but it's universal that everyone dislikes boris.

I have a couple of times dared to challenge the landslide of vitriol against him, but it's pretty tiring work and the vast majority (that post) on this forum are anti-BoJo and very loudly so.

I reckon Corbyn is much the more principled (hardly unusual in a left-vs-right comparison), but the statements that Boris is a Trump-clone who would sell all our 8year-olds to pay for his champagne and mistresses are a little OTT. Just IMHO of course!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mattheus wrote:but the statements that Boris is a Trump-clone who would sell all our 8year-olds to pay for his champagne and mistresses are a little OTT. Just IMHO of course!

No, obviously that would be illegal.

I enjoyed BoJo's clowning before he tried to be something he obviously isn't.

There's a list of stuff that's true about him that's hardly endearing though.
Verifiable, provable stuff.
I admit some of it is played up somewhat by the left but it's not so much a case of "where there's smoke" so much as being able to see the fire on the horizon.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:It seems views on Corbyn are heavily biased by political views but it's universal that everyone dislikes boris.

I have a couple of times dared to challenge the landslide of vitriol against him, but it's pretty tiring work and the vast majority (that post) on this forum are anti-BoJo and very loudly so.

I reckon Corbyn is much the more principled (hardly unusual in a left-vs-right comparison), but the statements that Boris is a Trump-clone who would sell all our 8year-olds to pay for his champagne and mistresses are a little OTT. Just IMHO of course!

If you could put forward what you think are BoJo's and theTories good points I'd be willing to engage,but I do think he's not fit for office and not without good reason,not least of which him being a pathological liar.
I don't think the Tories have been good governors or housekeepers of the country over the past decade under the previous two PM's and believe I have good reason for that stance also.

Do you have a contrary argument I am willing to listen to your reasons.
W H Auden
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:

If you could put forward what you think are BoJo's and theTories good points I'd be willing to engage,but I do think he's not fit for office and not without good reason,not least of which him being a pathological liar.
I don't think the Tories have been good governors or housekeepers of the country over the past decade under the previous two PM's and believe I have good reason for that stance also.

Do you have a contrary argument I am willing to listen to your reasons.

His two best points are his ability to lie with a straight face, and... Sorry I can't think of another one.