Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:She was very cross, despite her protestations to the contrary.

Her estimate of his honesty is absolutely consistent with many other sources.
When a politician says something which is likely to advance their career not at all, it becomes more credible.

The green guff Johnson was spouting today, making promises about a future when he is not going to be in government, and so even less likely to be held to, is plainly the utmost Boris flannel.

I too believe her. Did you hear her interview this morning? My comment was simply about her state of mind, no more, no less.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see No 10 are making some changes to their "management" when releasing information
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/02/05/number-10-press-corps-to-be-replaced-by-north-korean-newsreader/ wrote:NUMBER 10 PRESS CORPS TO BE REPLACED BY NORTH KOREAN NEWSREADER
Legendary North Korean newsreader Ri Chun-hee, famous for her emotional presentation style and bright pink business suits will replace the Downing Street press corps with immediate effect, Lee Cain, the Prime Minister’s Communications Director announced today.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:I see No 10 are making some changes to their "management" when releasing information
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/02/05/number-10-press-corps-to-be-replaced-by-north-korean-newsreader/ wrote:NUMBER 10 PRESS CORPS TO BE REPLACED BY NORTH KOREAN NEWSREADER
Legendary North Korean newsreader Ri Chun-hee, famous for her emotional presentation style and bright pink business suits will replace the Downing Street press corps with immediate effect, Lee Cain, the Prime Minister’s Communications Director announced today.

Ian

‘Boris Johnson is an overprivileged fat buffoon, presiding over a country with a failing economy that has fallen out with all its neighbours but is somehow in possession of nuclear weapons,’ said Cain. ‘He has siblings prominent in government and the media, those among them he falls out with mysteriously disappear and no-one has any idea how many children he has. Whereas…’
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Because without being a charlatan and a liar he would only last a few days or weeks.
Basically, as many on here have suggested, he's a crook with a posh accent.

He gets holidays bought for him by the most unpleasant of characters.
Another fraudster intent of self enrichment at any price.
Johnson seems to attract them like flies round the proverbial.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51482220

Johnson is also on record of admitting being approached by convicted (and imprisoned) fraudster Darius Guppy, who was (is?) a personal friend, to supply journalists addresses so those journalists could be beaten up.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Guppy

Johnson's and such friend's only motivation is personal wealth, in my view, and that very likely overrides even Johnson's ego driven lust after power.
He is just a series of soundbites, provided by the soundbite man Cummings.

There is nothing for honest and humble folk in such a PM.
He will bleed them dry.

The sad fact is that through the con that was Brexit many such folk were successfully fooled.

The only small consolation lies in the thought that "give them enough rope etc".
As confidence and the corrupt network builds, one day the mask will irrevocably slip.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Because without being a charlatan and a liar he would only last a few days or weeks.
Basically, as many on here have suggested, he's a crook with a posh accent.

He gets holidays bought for him by the most unpleasant of characters.
Another fraudster intent of self enrichment at any price.
Johnson seems to attract them like flies round the proverbial.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51482220

Johnson is also on record of admitting being approached by convicted (and imprisoned) fraudster Darius Guppy, who was (is?) a personal friend, to supply journalists addresses so those journalists could be beaten up.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Guppy

Johnson's and such friend's only motivation is personal wealth, in my view, and that very likely overrides even Johnson's ego driven lust after power.
He is just a series of soundbites, provided by the soundbite man Cummings.

There is nothing for honest and humble folk in such a PM.
He will bleed them dry.

The sad fact is that through the con that was Brexit many such folk were successfully fooled.

The only small consolation lies in the thought that "give them enough rope etc".
As confidence and the corrupt network builds, one day the mask will irrevocably slip.

But another charlatan might come along and fool folk again. Not you of course, just those simple, trusting people who can't understand what's going on.

There's something wrong with our democracy when they have one vote each just like clever people.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's got absolutely nothing to do with one vote each as such, but rather what those votes are based upon.

If they are based on lies, deliberate manipulation and obfuscation by criminal vested interests then it's a real problem.
Would you not say?
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

No. Politicians have never been noted for their honesty. The system is working normally.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

carpetcleaner wrote:No. Politicians have never been noted for their honesty. The system is working normally.

Really!

You do have a jaded view of democracy in the UK then.

How sad.
But it must be said a very prevalent view; indeed so prevalent that it could be part of the manipulation!!!
How did we come to expect so little?

I guess the old adage must be correct, that is, a nation gets the Govt it deserves!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

carpetcleaner wrote:No. Politicians have never been noted for their honesty. The system is working normally.
Never?
Are you sure about that?
Do you mean all politicians?

I've met a few - not many I admit - but the some I know are very honest.
Two of them are no longer MPs though.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

Really!

How sad.
But it must be said a very prevalent view; indeed so prevalent that it could be part of the manipulation!!!

I guess the old adage must be correct, that is, a nation gets the Govt it deserves!

Politicians can be honest until they get into power, then they have to tow the Part Line and not give the press any ammo. You will find honesty on the back benches.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Jonson and his vanity/failed/delayed projects
a) The cable car over the Thames
b) The garden bridge over the Thames
c) Crossrail
c) HS2
some he in augerated some he supported, some he just cant say no to

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/boris-johnson-doesnt-let-detail-stand-in-way-of-latest-vanity-projects

psst what about a bridge from Scotland to Ireland
psst A Dutch engineer has voiced the possibility of a dam from Norway to Scotland and SW England to France as a super duper flood barrier, turning the North Sea into an internal freshwater lake ( I hope Boris hasnt heard of this one)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/giant-dams-could-protect-millions-from-rising-north-sea

Hey is a dam why not put a road bridge on top, great little trip, bikes allowed?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

For the good of all Peoples, everywhere, I am proposing to start a new political party..

To start with it will have a membership of one, me, and be known as the, 'Autocratic Despot for the benefit of Everyone' party.

Such a party may not be democratic, but democracy - in its present form - does not work very well in any case: just look at who gets elected.

Qualifications? Well, I have a Master's in mathematics, an MBA, and have run profitable businesses all my life, employing those with a will to succeed and to be rewarded for their own efforts - no backsliders, no false hopers, no waffle merchants, no timewasters, no excuses - just get it done, and let them howl (to quote Mr Jowett of Balliol). Very cost-effective.

No salary required, no expenses required: I make enough from my businesses, to keep me in new sprockets.

Similarly able despots are invited to join me.

Happy days,
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Morzedec wrote:For the good of all Peoples, everywhere, I am proposing to start a new political party..

To start with it will have a membership of one, me, and be known as the, 'Autocratic Despot for the benefit of Everyone' party.

Such a party may not be democratic, but democracy - in its present form - does not work very well in any case: just look at who gets elected.

Qualifications? Well, I have a Master's in mathematics, an MBA, and have run profitable businesses all my life, employing those with a will to succeed and to be rewarded for their own efforts - no backsliders, no false hopers, no waffle merchants, no timewasters, no excuses - just get it done, and let them howl (to quote Mr Jowett of Balliol). Very cost-effective.

No salary required, no expenses required: I make enough from my businesses, to keep me in new sprockets.

Similarly able despots are invited to join me.

Happy days,

Personally, and I don't really mean to decry your wry humour, I would prefer a Govt with less criminal "bribe-ability" and more straightforward honesty.

I know it's a big ask, but hey I was always a dreamer of a better world - on many levels.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Really!

How sad.

Politicians can be honest until they get into power, then they have to tow the Part Line and not give the press any ammo. You will find honesty on the back benches.

So why is that?
What is it in this "power" that so corrupts all comers?
And why do you accept it without protest?

It is, I know, the million dollar question!
( no pun intended)
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pwa wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
Really!

How sad.

So why is that?
What is it in this "power" that so corrupts all comers?
And why do you accept it without protest?

It is, I know, the million dollar question!
( no pun intended)

It was just as much the case with Labour ministers in the 60s and 70s as it is with the Tories today. If individual ministers voice their personal opinion and it varies from the Part Line they will be torn to shreds by the media. So they pretend to all think the same to avoid the distraction of a media furore. Likewise, if a minister expresses doubts about a project they will be fending off journos for weeks afterwards when what they want to be doing is getting to their desk and getting stuck into all the work they have piled up. They make elbow room to do their jobs by not giving the media fuel, and that means being economical with the truth and evasive when asked a question. Honesty and openness generate distracting media interest.