Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by Oldjohnw »

The only item on Boris Johnson's agenda is Boris Johnson. He will say or do whatever he thinks is needed to further that agenda. He will reverse a previously held stance overnight if that is what it takes. Most of his cabinet appear to be of the same mould.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Boris wings it. Blundering is perhaps another phrase for that. He has no attention span for detail and is therefore as good or as bad as the people he hires to implement stuff.

And people he's listening to are the those who wish to profit monetarily at the country's cost IMO.
It's just more of the failed neolibralist trickledown theory that does nothing for the ordinary wo/man and everything for the Tory party's financiers

But economically he is moving to the left of where the Tories have been for a decade. I know that is not the sweet spot you would choose, but it is not as bad as it could be. Glass one third full?

IMO he's no more moving to the left than I'm moving to the right!
The country needs public transport across it's width more than down it's length,and more so than a train that doesn't stop along the way.
Busses and trains need to be clean,comfortable,affordable and convenient for people to use them,we're reaching road satuation point PDQ with polution levels out of hand in many of towns and cities,something which needs addressing PDQ,the building more roads won't satisfy or solve.
His promises of putting money into public transport only goes some way to putting the country back to where it was ten years ago before the diabolical running of the country by his aweful and incompent predecessors who made 2008 crash worse than ever thought possible with their failed austerity plans and dog's Brexitfast!.
I heard him on the radio speaking to his new cabinet yesterday it went something like BJ "how many new hospitals are we going to build" cabinet refrain "40 Boris, BJ "how many new nursing posts" cabinet refrain "50,000 Boris",BJ "how many policemen are we going to recruit" refrain "20,000 Boris".
It sounded more like first day at primary school BJ "good morning children" children,err I mean cabinet " good morning Mr Johnson"
Cringe worthy and downright bloody embarassing doesn't begin to describe such a bunch of yes men!
Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Feb 2020, 12:41pm, edited 4 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Cunobelin wrote:
llayercake wrote:Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?
Easy, it's The Will of The People....

As with Brexit - it ain't

It is the will of a minority of the people

The other flaw with this mantra is that it totally ignores the unequivocal will of the Scots

I totally understand and was being mischievous.

Apologies.

I didn't vote for Brexit or Boris but within the framework of our democratic system I don't see that there is much else to be done now other than accept it and try to deal with the problems that the process has left me facing.

The Scots and Northern Irish may have opportunities to shape their own futures but I have no say in their affairs and therefore no opinion to express on that subject.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

llayercake wrote:.......I didn't vote for Brexit or Boris but within the framework of our democratic system I don't see that there is much else to be done now other than accept it and try to deal with the problems that the process has left me facing.

+1

The Scots and Northern Irish may have opportunities to shape their own futures but I have no say in their affairs and therefore no opinion to express on that subject.

The only thing I can add is that the union has never looked so weak and unstable as it is now.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

llayercake wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

The other flaw with this mantra is that it totally ignores the unequivocal will of the Scots

I totally understand and was being mischievous.

Apologies.
No worries and no need to apologise! Most people here - probably including Cunobelin - recognised your sarcasm! However it is very easy to have a forum post misconstrued.

I didn't vote for Brexit or Boris but within the framework of our democratic system I don't see that there is much else to be done now other than accept it and try to deal with the problems that the process has left me facing.
Nor did I - nor did many others - but I'm not quite as resigned to the matter as you say you are. For me the fight - to restore some sort of commonsense in this misbegotten island of ours - goes on.

Although I'm more concerned with global issues, now, than petty Englander issues. Will be taking part in some XR events in the forthcoming months. This is what really matters. And another issue on which BoJo simply does his Pontius Pilate thing (Matthew 27:24).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some people have the cheek to take exotic holidays involving multiple flights and then support Extinction Rebellion. They are termed hypocrites! Others do 20 mile round trips in their gas guzzlers just to take their dogs for a walk, I wonder what the actual carbon footprint of these people actually looks like? Perhaps they are actually the usual suspects ...serial objectors to any form of progress.

The Chinese way of building HS2 would be to steamroller objectors. It could probably be built for half the cost if objectors were neutralised and the planned opulent stations were constructed more simply.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Some people have the cheek to take exotic holidays involving multiple flights and then support Extinction Rebellion. They are termed hypocrites! Others do 20 mile round trips in their gas guzzlers just to take their dogs for a walk, I wonder what the actual carbon footprint of these people actually looks like? Perhaps they are actually the usual suspects ...serial objectors to any form of progress.
Al

And? Not sure what your point is? That some people are hypocrites? That's hardly newsworthy. It questions their commitment to any cause but it doesn't undermine the principle of whatever that cause is. Life's complicated, I doubt there's many people that you couldn't call hypocritical in some way.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Some people have the cheek to take exotic holidays involving multiple flights and then support Extinction Rebellion. They are termed hypocrites! Others do 20 mile round trips in their gas guzzlers just to take their dogs for a walk, I wonder what the actual carbon footprint of these people actually looks like? Perhaps they are actually the usual suspects ...serial objectors to any form of progress.

The Chinese way of building HS2 would be to steamroller objectors. It could probably be built for half the cost if objectors were neutralised and the planned opulent stations were constructed more simply.

Al

There are those that think London needn't be centre of the UK.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
Al

And? Not sure what your point is? That some people are hypocrites? That's hardly newsworthy. It questions their commitment to any cause but it doesn't undermine the principle of whatever that cause is. Life's complicated, I doubt there's many people that you couldn't call hypocritical in some way.

Come on. Turning up for XR events while looking forward to holidays that involve long haul flights! You need a split personality to deal with that.
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:
PH wrote:
Al

Come on. Turning up for XR events while looking forward to holidays that involve long haul flights! You need a split personality to deal with that.

:?: That's not what I said.
I didn't disagree that that was hypocritical, just that some people's hypocrisy doesn't undermine the cause. It's often used as a way to attack the cause, which IMO is just lazy and dismissive.
I then added, that some hypocrisy can be found in all of us.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
pwa wrote:
PH wrote:And? Not sure what your point is? That some people are hypocrites? That's hardly newsworthy. It questions their commitment to any cause but it doesn't undermine the principle of whatever that cause is. Life's complicated, I doubt there's many people that you couldn't call hypocritical in some way.

:?: That's not what I said.
I didn't disagree that that was hypocritical, just that some people's hypocrisy doesn't undermine the cause. It's often used as a way to attack the cause, which IMO is just lazy and dismissive.
I then added, that some hypocrisy can be found in all of us.

That's true. But the example cited is so blatant that it is funny. It made me smile.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cunobelin wrote:

Not true. We left the EU because our parliament voted to do so after many hours of debate. MPs from Scottish constituencies had as much opportunity to contribute to these debates as other MPs. The Scottish people had fair representation in the debates so it is simply untrue to say their views were ignored.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Some people have the cheek to take exotic holidays involving multiple flights and then support Extinction Rebellion. They are termed hypocrites!
I guess you were referring to my post (wouldn't be the first time! :roll: ). No problem - I'm cool! I detect the irony in your second sentence. If you want to seriously sermonise someone, please choose a politico or public celebrity, not me! I've done many things wrong up till now and am still getting it wrong! Unlike every politician in the land, I can admit to being in the wrong. Long haul flights and car use aside, just the process of heating my house probably has a larger carbon footprint than any of these! Even typing this post on my computer, is consuming electricity. Where does that come from? A good deal still comes from fossil fuelled power stations. You just can't win!

Others do 20 mile round trips in their gas guzzlers just to take their dogs for a walk MTBs for a spin.
Took the liberty of....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cunobelin wrote:

True. Leave got the most votes in the referendum, but less than 50% of the entire electorate voted Leave. Some Remainers cling to this irrelevant arithmetic fact. Most people accept that turn out in votes won't be 100%, a true majority is rarely achieved by vote winners, and they accept the results too.

But let's not forget that we didn't leave the EU because of the result of the 2016 referendum, the result of which was purely advisory. Remainers never let us forget that before Brexit when they were hoping that parliament would choose to disagree with the people and to decline to act in accordance with their advice.

Parliament, not the people, decided we should leave the EU. A majority of MPs voted in favour of Boris's Brexit bill, a real majority, more than half of all MPs. Most MPs are highly educated people, so Remainers ended up getting exactly what they told us they wanted - an important decision taken by informed MPs, not taken by the people who they told us are mostly uninformed and poorly educated and unable to decide on such an important matter.

Yet they still complain!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

carpetcleaner wrote:Parliament, not the people, decided we should leave the EU. A majority of MPs voted in favour of Boris's Brexit bill, a real majority, more than half of all MPs. Most MPs are highly educated people, so Remainers ended up getting exactly what they told us they wanted - an important decision taken by informed MPs, not taken by the people who they told us are mostly uninformed and poorly educated and unable to decide on such an important matter.

Really? Is that what happened?

I seem to remember that some MP's quit, some were fired and in general there was much threatening about "toeing the party line".
Most of the bluster seemed to be "get brexit done", "people are tired of brexit", "we're making a mockery of democracy" - and other such nonsense.

I wonder just how many MP's actually voted the way they wanted to...