Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I must get some of those. Where did you get them?

Ian

eBay, just search for 'boris johnson rubber duck'.

I did try to buy one online from a 'normal' shop but the rubber duck shop I found was closed due to the virus.

For the sake of morale..... anything taking the mickey out of Boris and the Tories is an "essential" item?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cunobelin wrote:For the sake of morale..... anything taking the mickey out of Boris and the Tories is an "essential" item?

I would say so.
The person who posted it didn't ask if it was essential and if they had I'd have said I needed it for my mental health.

I sell a small machine controller on my website that I designed and built almost 20 years ago.
I post a couple of them every week, the post office lady insisted I couldn't post them if they weren't "essential".
But what's essential? It's a machine controller, for all I know its being used to make ventilators or perhaps novelty ducks or maybe someone just wants to play with it and relieve the tedium of being locked up...

I got a skip delivered yesterday, bloke didn't ask if I was using it for "essential" purposes.
If he had I have said I had a load of rubbish that needed moving because a load of pangolins had made it their home and what with the bats flying around now I was concerned they might be the source of a new virus.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:I don't use eBay. I see on Amazon they start at £11 (bit expensive for a joke). But the Trump ones available £4 incl p&p.

Ian

I'm using it for the monthly photography competition at work which now has to be taken around one's home.
If I win (I will) then I'll be quids in.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mr Johnson is now in hospital. I wish him a full recovery.

Whether he will be really missed politically - apart from his various statutory functions - is another matter. He was never up to the task and never in command of his brief: he seemed permanently ill-prepared. I really don't know how Johnson's deputy Raab will manage. Hancock, whatever I think of his politics and character, does, at least, always appear prepared and fully acquainted with his task.

God help us all.
John
ossie

Post by ossie »

Now in ICU
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My concern is when he gets out he'll be everywhere singing the praises of the NHS (just like Cameron used to) and every time he starts all I'll be thinking about is, which party cut the NHS repeatedly, which party cut nurse bursaries, which party drove so many non-British NHS staff away, which party reduced the number of beds, which party froze NHS pay (even for the low paid), etc.

He'll quite rightly be impressed by the efforts of the NHS despite the way his party treated them (in recent history).

Ian
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I would really really hate to be an intensive care nurse working on that unit right now. Though I'm thankful not to be frontline at all, with the crisis in supplies of PPE.
But fortunately he got ill before the triage started. Imagine being the consultant in charge and if all the resources in the area were so stretched that there was only enough ventilators for healthy women under the age of 60, or healthy men under the age of 50.
What a terrible dilemma, whether to leave the country's leader in the corridor on a trolley without the best care, or to break the rules and put someone else out instead, as has been the case for the previous decade all over the country.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Headline clarifying things a bit
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/04/10/johnson-improving-in-a-strictly-medical-sense-clarifies-doctors-more-soon/ wrote:JOHNSON IMPROVING “IN A STRICTLY MEDICAL SENSE”, CLARIFIES DOCTORS. MORE SOON

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

When I read statements like this the sceptic in me rises up.

"He almost took one for the team and we've got to make sure we play properly now," Stanley Johnson told the BBC.

Took one for the team??!
I feel old.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:When I read statements like this the sceptic in me rises up.

"He almost took one for the team and we've got to make sure we play properly now," Stanley Johnson told the BBC.

Took one for the team??!

That (Stanley Johnson's statement) beggars belief. He [Boris] was wandering round hospitals for a photo op boasting how he (in his words) "I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody". He likely didn't catch it from staying in No 10 doing his job so "one for the team" is (in my opinion) rather insulting to those risking (and sometimes losing) their lives caring for those catching these dangerous diseases. Particularly given his behaviour and how he has exposed quite a few NHS staff to C-19 virus.

Ian
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Several groups of four plus cyclists, pass my house on their way on a single track road, tall hedges both sides and very steep. Most of them shoulder to shoulder, laughing and joking as if all was well with the world. As a life long cyclist I personally despair at this sort of behaviour.
Knowing that there a few people living up the top of this hill, whose speed when driving is reckless to put it mildly, since the traffic volume has reduced traffic, they have gone completely mad. Just saying,not justifying Boris's actions.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:I would really really hate to be an intensive care nurse working on that unit right now. Though I'm thankful not to be frontline at all, with the crisis in supplies of PPE.
But fortunately he got ill before the triage started. Imagine being the consultant in charge and if all the resources in the area were so stretched that there was only enough ventilators for healthy women under the age of 60, or healthy men under the age of 50.
What a terrible dilemma, whether to leave the country's leader in the corridor on a trolley without the best care, or to break the rules and put someone else out instead, as has been the case for the previous decade all over the country.

I've never heard Boris say he is a male. Maybe he self identifies as a woman and so no rule was broken.

If I end up in hospital with this virus that's what I'll do now I know this sex related rule applies.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Took one for the team??!
I feel old.

"Team Rich and Privileged" one assumes. OTOH, who thinks he has actually been ill at all? Double purpose deception - easier to pass the buck if "absent" and a sympathy boost to his approval ratings?
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

djnotts wrote:

Took one for the team??!
I feel old.

"Team Rich and Privileged" one assumes. OTOH, who thinks he has actually been ill at all? Double purpose deception - easier to pass the buck if "absent" and a sympathy boost to his approval ratings?

His approval ratings were sky high before he caught the virus so there was no need for this unlikely deception.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

carpetcleaner wrote:
djnotts wrote:

Took one for the team??!
I feel old.

His approval ratings were sky high before he caught the virus so there was no need for this unlikely deception.

Hmm, perhaps, and yet the above quote has now disappeared from the BBC website altogether AFAIKS.
It is certainly gone from where it was this morning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52239688

Perhaps you have an explanation for this?