Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Postby PH » 21 Mar 2020, 12:44am

carpetcleaner wrote:Where is your evidence that Boris ever wilfully ignored expert advice on virus pandemics, a subject he has never claimed to know anything about?

In the absence of evidence to the contrary I always assume people are good.

very clever!
You have claimed that the Government advice on venue opening has changed because the expert advice has.
I have asked what evidence there is of that.
Instead of going off on a tangent, why not answer the question? After all it is something you have claimed to know.

Or - How about the big theme from last week, this herd immunity that's now been dropped. The evidence for that was at best flimsy, if I can find that out with very limited resources, it shouldn't be hard for anyone in power to do so.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Mar 2020, 6:25am

PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:My opinions are entirely consistent with each other. I assume Boris acts on the advice of experts. If he'd closed pubs when the experts did not advise such a measure that would have been unnecessary and authoritarian. To close them after the advice changes shows he is prepared to follow advice even when he knows it will be unpopular with many people. That shows strong leadership.

When was this advice change? I haven't seen that even claimed by the government. The advice from a couple of days ago was already to stay away from pubs, restaurants, and the rest. All that's changed is the realisation that people are not going to stop going out just because Boris has asked them to, particularly not when the rhetoric the day before was all about taking it on the chin and herd immunity nonsense, looks like he's dug his own hole. Really, who didn't think people would still go down the pub if it was open?

Problem for lots of people is that thanks to antisocial behaviour, pubs and takeaways are in inmportant source of food!

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Mar 2020, 6:41am

Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:My opinions are entirely consistent with each other. I assume Boris acts on the advice of experts. If he'd closed pubs when the experts did not advise such a measure that would have been unnecessary and authoritarian. To close them after the advice changes shows he is prepared to follow advice even when he knows it will be unpopular with many people. That shows strong leadership.

When was this advice change? I haven't seen that even claimed by the government. The advice from a couple of days ago was already to stay away from pubs, restaurants, and the rest. All that's changed is the realisation that people are not going to stop going out just because Boris has asked them to, particularly not when the rhetoric the day before was all about taking it on the chin and herd immunity nonsense, looks like he's dug his own hole. Really, who didn't think people would still go down the pub if it was open?

Problem for lots of people is that thanks to antisocial behaviour, pubs and takeaways are in inmportant source of food!

Takeaways are still open, I believe. And pubs can do takeaways.
John

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Mar 2020, 8:40am

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
PH wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Difficult times for sure and we could all do with a laugh, that doesn't mean a clown should be PM.

From authoritarian to string leadership in a day. I really believe CC was put onnearth just to wind up. Just smile in the face of this adversity.

My opinions are entirely consistent with each other. I assume Boris acts on the advice of experts. If he'd closed pubs when the experts did not advise such a measure that would have been unnecessary and authoritarian. To close them after the advice changes shows he is prepared to follow advice even when he knows it will be unpopular with many people. That shows strong leadership.

You assume wrong, Boris only acts on the advice of experts when it aligns with his agenda

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Mar 2020, 8:40am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:When was this advice change? I haven't seen that even claimed by the government. The advice from a couple of days ago was already to stay away from pubs, restaurants, and the rest. All that's changed is the realisation that people are not going to stop going out just because Boris has asked them to, particularly not when the rhetoric the day before was all about taking it on the chin and herd immunity nonsense, looks like he's dug his own hole. Really, who didn't think people would still go down the pub if it was open?

Not if shut

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Mar 2020, 9:11am

Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Not if shut

At least one pub and a couple of cafes/restaurants near me are doing takeaway meals.
John

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 21 Mar 2020, 9:37am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Not if shut

At least one pub and a couple of cafes/restaurants near me are doing takeaway meals.

I don't know if that'll last. A few days ago a good restaurant sent a mail round to its mailing list with a takeaway offer because 80% of their bookings had been cancelled. A few hours later a thank you went round, the takeaway was fully subscribed. That is largely through the goodwill of regulars who want to help a good, local business, but they will only do it so many times (the restaurant is 25 miles, from us so we couldn't practicably do it).

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Mar 2020, 9:39am

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Not if shut

I don't know if that'll last. A few days ago a good restaurant sent a mail round to its mailing list with a takeaway offer because 80% of their bookings had been cancelled. A few hours later a thank you went round, the takeaway was fully subscribed. That is largely through the goodwill of regulars who want to help a good, local business, but they will only do it so many times (the restaurant is 25 miles, from us so we couldn't practicably do it).

The PM specifically mentioned restaurants yesterday were closed except for takeaways.
John

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 21 Mar 2020, 10:09am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

The PM specifically mentioned restaurants yesterday were closed except for takeaways.

Presumably that means any restaurant providing a takeaway service? Though as l say a better class restaurant providing confit of pork or game terrine will not get enough business to continue to run it.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Mar 2020, 10:33am

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Presumably that means any restaurant providing a takeaway service? Though as l say a better class restaurant providing confit of pork or game terrine will not get enough business to continue to run it.

Several restaurants in Edinburgh including some famous ones who don't normally do takeaways are turning to this.
John

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Mar 2020, 2:38pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Nope - most are only licensed to sell food for consumption on the premises, Takeaway is a different license

JohnW

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a liar in power?

Postby JohnW » 21 Mar 2020, 4:42pm

Polisman wrote:
horizon wrote:As much as I am sympathetic to the general tenor of the thread, I'm wondering whether it doesn't properly belong in the General Election thread. Any views and should I ask Graham to move it?

I think this is a more general, refined thread about people in position of power, in public office lying to, and eroding trust, with abandon to the public. Deceit in general, and what it does to society and the fabric of good government, relationships, families. What it can do to ordinary people and their lives and hopes.

It's not about the election per se, but how fit individuals are to take these public positions, when all the evidence is stacked against them, as a proven, pathological liar, in both private and public life.

I would like to move the thread on to forumers experience of being in a position either social, family or professional where they've been lied to, by a pathological liar, and what effect its had. Certainly shook me to the core, first time I experienced it.

I think the thread title says it all. Why would you trust someone with the next five years rule over almost every facet of daily life, (or indeed marry one, or go into business with) when you know they are a proven liar. People seem to do it all the time. Why?

Is an interesting psychological question, more than anything.

Boris Johnson: Why is a liar in power?
It's quite obvious - people voted for him!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Mar 2020, 4:47pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Takeaways are still open, I believe. And pubs can do takeaways.
....... and sit in the garden.
Doing this this evening.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 21 Mar 2020, 5:23pm

Thought you'd be self isolating for a while Mick f?
This is how this virus is spreading! :oops:
[color=#FF0000][/color]

PH

Postby PH » 21 Mar 2020, 6:09pm

Cunobelin wrote:Nope - most are only licensed to sell food for consumption on the premises, Takeaway is a different license

You may be mixing up food and alcohol.
Acting as a takeaway has always been a matter of the premises planning permission rather than any license, the only license is a Food Business one and covers all elements and is held by the business or individual and not tied to any premises. The Government has relaxed the planning permission regulations for the duration, so all food outlets can offer takeaways
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... s-response

Alcohol licenses haven't been relaxed, unless you are licensed as an off-license you can't sell for consumption off the premises.
Last edited by PH on 21 Mar 2020, 6:14pm, edited 2 times in total.