Another couple of scams.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5259
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Another couple of scams.

Postby cycleruk » 3 Dec 2019, 5:15pm

First one came through from a friend on Facebook :-

My dad just had an iPhone delivered to his house by uk mail which he hadn’t ordered. 10 mins later this guy in DPD uniform came to the door saying they made a mistake and needed the phone back. We call the police and he left. The police arrived and said this is happening a lot in the gravesham area. They have opened an o2 account in my dads name and intended to take the phone back and sell it on leaving my dad with the debt.
If you receive a phone unannounced call the police. Copied and pasted to highlight this new trend.

Second one - I received an email which I sussed as a scam:-

We're sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed.
As we couldn't take the latest payment from your bank account, this amount will also need to be paid when you set up your new Direct Debit.
Remember, if you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your license or pass your details to a debt collection agency.

2 things wrong with this. Our TV license is not in my name and also I don't use my standard email for anything involving money. I have another Email address for anything that needs a bit of security.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

gbnz
Posts: 1662
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby gbnz » 3 Dec 2019, 8:15pm

cycleruk wrote:I have another Email address for anything that needs a bit of security.


+ 1. Though wonder if I may have been subject to a scam last night!

Have only used Amazon on perhaps two occasions, but bought a cheap MP3 player last night. It was being given away, £0.01 for the MP3, the real cost being an inflated delivery charge of £3.57. I found the fact that I wasn't charged the £0.01 for the MP3 player a bit suspect, which linked to the anticipated delivery date of sometime in the year 2020 appears a bit dubious :wink:

mercalia
Posts: 12257
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby mercalia » 3 Dec 2019, 9:20pm

cycleruk wrote:First one came through from a friend on Facebook :-

My dad just had an iPhone delivered to his house by uk mail which he hadn’t ordered. 10 mins later this guy in DPD uniform came to the door saying they made a mistake and needed the phone back. We call the police and he left. The police arrived and said this is happening a lot in the gravesham area. They have opened an o2 account in my dads name and intended to take the phone back and sell it on leaving my dad with the debt.
If you receive a phone unannounced call the police. Copied and pasted to highlight this new trend.

Second one - I received an email which I sussed as a scam:-

We're sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed.
As we couldn't take the latest payment from your bank account, this amount will also need to be paid when you set up your new Direct Debit.
Remember, if you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your license or pass your details to a debt collection agency.

2 things wrong with this. Our TV license is not in my name and also I don't use my standard email for anything involving money. I have another Email address for anything that needs a bit of security.


Thats very worrying the iphone one. why do they even have to deliver it - just say they did? or is it the order & delivery was genuine but just the 2nd guy wasnt. But how did they know to call just a few minutes after the real delivery? makes me worried as I live in a block of flats and often they just leave parcels out side the door ( it is is secure block of flats ) - if the crook could lie his way in he could just collect it from the door step :( :( :(

rfryer
Posts: 706
Joined: 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby rfryer » 4 Dec 2019, 1:00am

Many couriers give you a two hour delivery window. If the crook is receiving that notification, they just need to sit outside the house for a couple of hours, then collect their free iPhone

User avatar
Redvee
Posts: 2190
Joined: 8 Mar 2010, 8:58pm

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby Redvee » 6 Dec 2019, 2:16am

My Dad, last week, had a phone call on his landline allegedly from Amazon saying they will be taking the annual payment for his Prime account in a few days time. He asked me about this and I said it's a scam as he doesn't have a Prime account and they'd email him plus the annual fee quoted is half what it should be.

gbnz
Posts: 1662
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby gbnz » 31 Dec 2019, 5:55pm

gbnz wrote:
cycleruk wrote:I have another Email address for anything that needs a bit of security.


+ 1. Though wonder if I may have been subject to a scam last night!

Have only used Amazon on perhaps two occasions, but bought a cheap MP3 player last night. It was being given away, £0.01 for the MP3, the real cost being an inflated delivery charge of £3.57. I found the fact that I wasn't charged the £0.01 for the MP3 player a bit suspect, which linked to the anticipated delivery date of sometime in the year 2020 appears a bit dubious :wink:


Yep, it's proved to be a scam. The Amazon supplier, Amazon have failed to respond, Amazonz sytems ahve blocked me from reviewing the "product" which didn't arrive (Nb. Interesting that a couple of customers have managed to submit a review; their orders hadn't arrived). I knew Amazon were a cowboy outfit, but my error on placing this order has clarified the issue.

Anyone know a means by which Amazon can be takn to account?

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9968
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby horizon » 1 Jan 2020, 12:36am

cycleruk wrote:
We're sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed.


Spelling, grammar and punctuation used to be dead giveaways: in this case the American "license" tells you all you need to know. Unfortunately even the goodies get it wrong nowadays so you cannot be sure.
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5949
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby Sweep » 2 Jan 2020, 4:49pm

Redvee wrote:My Dad, last week, had a phone call on his landline allegedly from Amazon saying they will be taking the annual payment for his Prime account in a few days time. He asked me about this and I said it's a scam as he doesn't have a Prime account and they'd email him plus the annual fee quoted is half what it should be.

My mum had one of these the other day.

Also gets regular ones from folk claiming her internet is about to be cut off.
Sweep

mercalia
Posts: 12257
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby mercalia » 11 Feb 2020, 9:48pm

Romance Scams: catfishing , the technical name for this is on the increase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51459517

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9424
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby 661-Pete » 12 Feb 2020, 11:24am

mercalia wrote:Romance Scams: catfishing , the technical name for this is on the increase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51459517
I saw that story. Seeing as the woman was apparently based in USA and the man in UK, it seems likely they never met. I don't know how these long-distance infatuations spring up (skype?) but best not to fall for them, it seems. Possibly the woman never existed. Am I indulging in victim-blaming? At least the man seems to have got his money back...

"Amazon Prime" calls - yes we've had several of those. Just hang up on them.

Beware of an E-mail purporting to come from "BT Mail", titled "Important Information about your BT email". The text begins:
Hello user,
As you've used your email address in the last 90 days, we need to let you know about some changes we're making.
We're closing some of our older email address. That mean your BT email address will stop working after 20 February 2020, unless you add it to your BT Broadband account. If you don't do that, you'll lose your email address as well as the contacts and messages associated with it.
It's a scam! If you hover the mouse pointer over one of the hyperlinks in the message (but don't click!) you'll see why. We've had this message several times.

Incidentally, is "surveygizmo[dot]eu" a legitimate website? Seems to be used a lot by these scammers...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 742
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Another couple of scams.

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 12 Feb 2020, 1:42pm

mercalia wrote:
cycleruk wrote:First one came through from a friend on Facebook :-

My dad just had an iPhone delivered to his house by uk mail which he hadn’t ordered. 10 mins later this guy in DPD uniform came to the door saying they made a mistake and needed the phone back. We call the police and he left. The police arrived and said this is happening a lot in the gravesham area. They have opened an o2 account in my dads name and intended to take the phone back and sell it on leaving my dad with the debt.
If you receive a phone unannounced call the police. Copied and pasted to highlight this new trend.

Second one - I received an email which I sussed as a scam:-

We're sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed.
As we couldn't take the latest payment from your bank account, this amount will also need to be paid when you set up your new Direct Debit.
Remember, if you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your license or pass your details to a debt collection agency.

2 things wrong with this. Our TV license is not in my name and also I don't use my standard email for anything involving money. I have another Email address for anything that needs a bit of security.


Thats very worrying the iphone one. why do they even have to deliver it - just say they did? or is it the order & delivery was genuine but just the 2nd guy wasnt. But how did they know to call just a few minutes after the real delivery? makes me worried as I live in a block of flats and often they just leave parcels out side the door ( it is is secure block of flats ) - if the crook could lie his way in he could just collect it from the door step :( :( :(


The scammers have got the phone set up, and sent to the address they supplied to O2 ( your dad’s address ). They will get the delivery notice, so know when to turn up. As long as the legitimate delivery person has a record of the initial delivery, that’s all O2 care about. The scammer in the DPD uniform then disappears into the ether, and you can’t then prove you didn’t just hand the phone over to someone else, or who that was. As far as O2 are concerned you have the phone, you’re liable for the bills. It’s just an elaborate way of stealing a phone you never realised you had, and which won’t get locked out / blocked off.