Cyclist with road rage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
dodger

Re: Cyclist with road rage

Postby dodger » 9 Dec 2019, 9:17pm

All the sensible cyclists I know pull over in cases where someone is stuck behind them for any distance, even if it's a BMW, Audi or Merc driver.
Mind you, don't you find sometimes that modern petrol cars are so quiet that sometimes you don't know the're there?

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 10 Dec 2019, 9:24am

Is pulling over the Right Thing to do if it benefits dozens of other road users, at little personal cost? Of course it is!

Now, we've all seen drivers causing delays to other people - OCCASIONALLY it's a long delay for a lot of people. These things make the news if they are ludicrous enough.

But has anyone ever condoned attacking the driver with a pick-axe for these delays?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 Dec 2019, 11:15am

mattheus wrote:Is pulling over the Right Thing to do if it benefits dozens of other road users, at little personal cost? Of course it is!

Now, we've all seen drivers causing delays to other people - OCCASIONALLY it's a long delay for a lot of people. These things make the news if they are ludicrous enough.

But has anyone ever condoned attacking the driver with a pick-axe for these delays?

Actually .... yes. Well, not with a pick axe but with their car.

One such shocked even me, a fellow long-inured to mad people and their antics, of every imaginable and unimaginable kind! At a small dinner party, the conversation turned to the experience of cycling in traffic, as it often does in wor hoose. The dinner hosted a woman of late middle age and normally quiet & considerate mien who (perhaps because of one glass of wine too many) let out her secret inner stuff concerning those other road users who "are too slow".

It began with the urgent insistence that such slowsters (in car, on bike, aboard a tractor or of any other kind) "cause accidents as those behind get frustrated and end up making dangerous overtakes". The various cyclists responded with a rebuttal. The wine swilling through the lady's wetware amplified the anger with her bugbears.

"They should be pushed off the road and they deserve everything they get if someone hits them trying to get past"!

SIdeways glances of horror mixed with amusement pass between the other guests. Someone ventures the careful opinion that such a "deserving" is perhaps rather extreme. Fuel on the fire.

Eventually this normally mild-mannered almost unnoticeable lady stormed out, got in to her car and drove off (drunk). Her partner, as slack-jawed with amazement as the rest of us, still sober as he was the designated driver, didn't know what to say or do. The dinner party ended with the mental equivalent of that dark hot smell of a used firework smoking in the rain and everyone went home amused but sad.

Cugel

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Dec 2019, 11:24am

Cugel wrote:It began with the urgent insistence that such slowsters (in car, on bike, aboard a tractor or of any other kind) "cause accidents as those behind get frustrated and end up making dangerous overtakes". The various cyclists responded with a rebuttal. The wine swilling through the lady's wetware amplified the anger with her bugbears.

"They should be pushed off the road and they deserve everything they get if someone hits them trying to get past"!

SIdeways glances of horror mixed with amusement pass between the other guests. Someone ventures the careful opinion that such a "deserving" is perhaps rather extreme. Fuel on the fire.

Eventually this normally mild-mannered almost unnoticeable lady stormed out, got in to her car and drove off (drunk). Her partner, as slack-jawed with amazement as the rest of us, still sober as he was the designated driver, didn't know what to say or do. The dinner party ended with the mental equivalent of that dark hot smell of a used firework smoking in the rain and everyone went home amused but sad.

Cugel

Wow. In vino veritas

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Dec 2019, 11:29am

Cugel, please to tell What Happened Next
Was she declared persona non grata?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 Dec 2019, 4:38pm

brynpoeth wrote:Cugel, please to tell What Happened Next
Was she declared persona non grata?

She has avoided us, despite being invited to subsequent events. One suspects she is either embarrassed or still hurting from the admonition applied by her partner when he eventually got home. Perhaps both.

It is surprising what emerges from the psychic depths when people are stimulated by those things that cause their socially-constructed inhibitions to drop. Alcohol is notorious for revealing various kinds of drunk, including those apparently civilised when sober who fight, bite and light their touchpaper with a pint or three.

Funnily enough, another revealer of the deeper psychic churns is the car. All psycho-analists could save loadsa hours of couch -interrogation just by going out with their patient to observe as he or she drives about a bit. More uninhibited behaviours of the revealing kind will ensue.

Then there's the acid bath of open political or religious discussion between those with the more extreme opposing views. Some such discussions are a nice well-mannered debates of the academic kind, revealing well-civilised and tolerant folk happy to live and let-live despite their often queer behavioural habits. Other such discussions reveal those with a serious addiction to some mad scheme, who will often go full-reveal of an alarming set of beliefs and associated dark desires to act on them, delivered from a red-purple face along with large amounts of spittle and bile.

Of course, all of us have these behaviours and their motivators lurking within. Some keep them well-suppressed. Others need a very specific stimulus to bring out the madman. Myself I am very wary of those being cruel to animals and small children. A retributive urge of the most extreme kind wells up, which would likely result in my application of a retribution upon the perpetrator far worse than their own act. Knowing this is a danger won't stop it. Scrupulous avoidance of such situations is the only failsafe.

I won't be alone in this, I know!

And what else lurks within us? We can only hope we never have the stimulus then opportunity to know.

Cugel

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 10 Dec 2019, 5:07pm

Didn't watch the video, child in earshot.

Had an idiot cyclist (not a proper cyclist, just a moocher going fishing or somewhere) do that to me not long back when I was in the car. Single track road and the cyclist was doing barely more than walking pace. I couldn't get past without leaving a metre or so though I thought sod it, I can be polite, and he'll pull out the way when he can. :wink:

Got to a passing point, he sailed right by. Hmmm... maybe he didn't see it.

Got to the next one. Nope, he didn't fancy that one either.

Or the next one. :?

I thought maybe he didn't realise I was there so I moved a smidge closer and as far right as I could go. He turned around, looked me right in the eye, and just carried on past the next passing point as well. :shock:

So I just went. He was blatantly taking the pee and being awkward. Terrible example of a cyclist. By the time I got to the t-junction at the end I'd totally forgotten where I was meant to be going, and turned left instead of right. :mrgreen:

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 17 Dec 2019, 11:20pm

As far as possible I try to be considerate to other road users when on bike to help the profile of cyclists in general, I think it's in our own interests.

Sometimes car drivers can be offensive though, I've had one shout out " why are you on the main road when there's a cycle path you dick?", then drove on by without waiting for an answer. The bar steward stopped at the lights where I tapped on his window. He just had to know about the thorn hedge that had been recently cut all along the length of the path -- he suddenly looked very pale and frightened said nothing and drove off in a hurry.