How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
richardfm

Re: How's your weather?

Postby richardfm » 8 Dec 2019, 3:51pm

Mick F wrote:Etta James sang as song about the weather.

Stormy Weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9migdK-LnPU

Indeed she did, and so did many other. It's the Billie Holliday version that I know

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Dec 2019, 3:58pm

richardfm wrote:
Mick F wrote:Etta James sang as song about the weather.

Stormy Weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9migdK-LnPU

Indeed she did, and so did many other. It's the Billie Holliday version that I know

Just Wiki'd it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormy_Weather_(song)

Here's the original.
Ethel Waters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywZUhaUqMo
Mick F. Cornwall

DNC123

Postby DNC123 » 8 Dec 2019, 3:59pm

So did The Allman Brothers on the Live at The Fillmore album

https://g.co/kgs/PbmGZH

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 9 Dec 2019, 8:54am

Trees down and roads blocked various places Devon and Cornwall this morning, also there's trees down on the main line. This morning's Penzance/Paddington train is already 70mins late. Car blown over on the A30 near Temple over Bodmin Moor too.
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 9 Dec 2019, 9:40am

Well, the wind has blown most of the fallen leaves off my lawns onto the flower beds saving me a big job, great! :D Now to remove the half a ton of Bramleys I cant give away and clear the vegetable patch ready for the Broad beans and garlic.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 9 Dec 2019, 10:11am

Sun shining in reasonably clear skies, and wind abating now. Backing I think, as it's more westerly now than the northwesterly overnight.

Been up in the wood to check on the trees. Some branches down, but nothing major. I took my chainsaw up there to cut up the fallen birch that fell a week or so ago. It had been dead for a year or more. Didn't do too much as the blade needs sharpening so it takes more fuel per log. Should've sharpened it after last use, but I'm a bit lazy about it. I'll do it dreckly.

Husqvarna 555. :D
https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/c ... 966010918/

IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

dodger

Postby dodger » 9 Dec 2019, 9:13pm

Ahh, my favourite bit of "estate management".
Getting in the fuel for 2021. 2 dead elms down and a few ugly sycamores to go. Think we have a few ash trees diseased too.
Sharpening the chain makes a massive difference Mick. It only takes a few minutes but I also keep putting it off - usually until the rain forces me back into the workshop!

rjb

Postby rjb » 9 Dec 2019, 10:09pm

Think of the fun you could have if you fitted a chainsaw chain on your bike. :twisted:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Dec 2019, 7:08am

I used to dress the chain with a file, but it's far simpler to remove the chain and fit it in my bench-mounted grinder.
Mine isn't as posh as this one, but you get the idea.
61lo1-hTgHL._AC_SL1263_.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 10 Dec 2019, 9:24am

Mick F wrote:I used to dress the chain with a file, but it's far simpler to remove the chain and fit it in my bench-mounted grinder.
Mine isn't as posh as this one, but you get the idea.61lo1-hTgHL._AC_SL1263_.jpg

I've never bothered with one of these gadgets, I simply use a round file.
A French guy, who cuts down trees as a business, told me the best way to keep the saw at it's peak is to run the file over the teeth after every other fillng with fuel.
I used to keep using the saw until the blade was quite blunt then take it in to get sharpened at a shop.
Using his method the saw always cuts at it's best.
I realise you have to know how to use a file properly, it's a much underrated tool and most people don't know how to use one properly.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 10 Dec 2019, 9:38am

Today the weather is cold and cloudy so I'm planning a 30 mile ride.
We've had 6 weeks of the worse weather than I can remember having in the 16 years living here.
Nothing but really strong gales and rain of biblical proportions.
Normally in the Autumn and Winter I aim to average 70 miles each week. I've had one week of 108 miles but most have been below 50 and down to 10

Even to manage this it's meant getting soaked regularly.

Roll on the Spring :)

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 Dec 2019, 10:03am

francovendee wrote:Today the weather is cold and cloudy so I'm planning a 30 mile ride.
We've had 6 weeks of the worse weather than I can remember having in the 16 years living here.
Nothing but really strong gales and rain of biblical proportions.
Normally in the Autumn and Winter I aim to average 70 miles each week. I've had one week of 108 miles but most have been below 50 and down to 10

Even to manage this it's meant getting soaked regularly.

Roll on the Spring :)

Today's weather is nasty. I'm looking out the winder and its pouring down - or rather sideways, as the wind is 20mph with 40mph gusts. This is in the Teifi valley. Up top in Brechfa forest, where dogs even now should be walking, it will two times as rough.

Yet we must go, or suffer the collies moaning and phoning the RSPCA about the poor treatment they are getting at the hands of lazy dog slaves.

Cugel, tying a 10kg weight training disc to the ankle to help stay grounded.

PS If you're mad enough to go cycling beware them farm gates in the hedge harbouring cyclist-throwing gusts of wind.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Dec 2019, 10:27am

francovendee wrote:I realise you have to know how to use a file properly, it's a much underrated tool and most people don't know how to use one properly.
Utterly agree. Used a file for years, and I was given a unit that held the file that clamped on the top of the bar and you set the correct angle, rake, and cut. Easy peasy.

It annoyed me though, that you only got a few sharpenings per file. I would buy them in a box of 10? and would just chuck them out when blunt.
My machine will do literally hundreds of chains per disc. I've had it maybe 15years and I'm only on my second disc.

The way I see it, the bar needs taking out regularly to clean the machine. At the same time, clean the air filter and grease the bar end, plus clean out the caked oily sawdust from the bar grooves. May as well sharpen the chain in the grinder whilst it's off.

It's not as if I'm out in the back of beyond in the forrest and need to sharpen on the hoof. It's about two hundred yards from our back door to the wood for me.
Mick F. Cornwall

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 10 Dec 2019, 10:34am

Cugel wrote:PS If you're mad enough to go cycling beware them farm gates in the hedge harbouring cyclist-throwing gusts of wind.

And beware of the forest. Sometimes in weather like this the trees fall fast!

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 10 Dec 2019, 2:11pm

Mick F wrote:
francovendee wrote:I realise you have to know how to use a file properly, it's a much underrated tool and most people don't know how to use one properly.
Utterly agree. Used a file for years, and I was given a unit that held the file that clamped on the top of the bar and you set the correct angle, rake, and cut. Easy peasy.

It annoyed me though, that you only got a few sharpenings per file. I would buy them in a box of 10? and would just chuck them out when blunt.
My machine will do literally hundreds of chains per disc. I've had it maybe 15years and I'm only on my second disc.

The way I see it, the bar needs taking out regularly to clean the machine. At the same time, clean the air filter and grease the bar end, plus clean out the caked oily sawdust from the bar grooves. May as well sharpen the chain in the grinder whilst it's off.

It's not as if I'm out in the back of beyond in the forrest and need to sharpen on the hoof. It's about two hundred yards from our back door to the wood for me.

I've been lucky, only on my second file in 15 years. I bought them here from a shop that only sells garden machinery.
I'm on my second chainsaw in that time. The last one just wore out and had no compression.