How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Pebble »

Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:50pm
Pebble wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:24pm That was some wind Friday night, I have never seen as many trees down, very sad to see, a lot of wonderful old broadleaves down too.
I don't agree in the slightest.
We, in UK, have too many trees, and the one's we have that are blown down, were in the wrong place to start with.
We've had trees for thousands and thousands and thousands of years, and they die, and then new ones take their place.

On the radio a few weeks ago, some common-sense was being said - unusual I know! - and the point was made that we shouldn't be planting trees, but setting aside land to allow trees to naturally seed and grow. Any that are blown over or succumb to the weather, so be it.

Sorry to be a kill-joy.
I was taking no joy in it.

Where as, since you believe we have too many trees, you must be delighted.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:07am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:05am Is ''English Mac'' an oxymoron'' do ye ken, J ?
I ken the noo!

: - )

Jonathan
Aye Ye dae noo right enough - fair play, far's yer wiki-linki thae ? :)
(I'll stop now; signed ''The Synthetic Scot (2nd degree) '' (analagous to 'Plastic Paddy'.)...
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:18am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:05am Is ''English Mac'' an oxymoron'' do ye ken, J ?
I ken the noo!
Aye Ye dae noo right enough
My favourite version is in the infernal morality tale...

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:36am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:18am
I ken the noo!
Aye Ye dae noo right enough
My favourite version is in the infernal morality tale...

Jonathan
This ? Lucky for Andy's day in the morn', that the winds blown low,
who Knew The King (Elvis) was a Scot as well !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw0bLHTOb0
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Hellhound wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:43am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17am Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
There isn't one on most Laptops.There are two ways to get one on a Windows keyboard:-
Alt key, and on the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, type 0176 or Alt+ 248 if you don't have the numeric keys on the right.
I use Alt/0176>10°
No joy with those HH. I'm off for a ride now, but I'll try them again when I return and have read the microsoft link that Jonathan kindly supplied; quite possibly a digit problem my end Thanks again, and have a good 'un one and all.
Nu-Fogey
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Open google, search, select, copy and paste...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:17am
Hellhound wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:43am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17am Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
There isn't one on most Laptops.There are two ways to get one on a Windows keyboard:-
Alt key, and on the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, type 0176 or Alt+ 248 if you don't have the numeric keys on the right.
I use Alt/0176>10°
No joy with those HH. I'm off for a ride now, but I'll try them again when I return and have read the microsoft link that Jonathan kindly supplied; quite possibly a digit problem my end Thanks again, and have a good 'un one and all.
You have to hold down the alt key whilst typing 0176.
It's worked on every keyboard/PC/Laptop I've owned :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:11am
Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:50pm
Pebble wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:24pm That was some wind Friday night, I have never seen as many trees down, very sad to see, a lot of wonderful old broadleaves down too.
I don't agree in the slightest.
We, in UK, have too many trees, and the one's we have that are blown down, were in the wrong place to start with.
We've had trees for thousands and thousands and thousands of years, and they die, and then new ones take their place.

On the radio a few weeks ago, some common-sense was being said - unusual I know! - and the point was made that we shouldn't be planting trees, but setting aside land to allow trees to naturally seed and grow. Any that are blown over or succumb to the weather, so be it.

Sorry to be a kill-joy.
I was taking no joy in it.

Where as, since you believe we have too many trees, you must be delighted.
Not "delighted" but in the grand scale of things, it doesn't matter at all, and as long as no-one gets hurt or has their property damaged, new trees will take their place.

If people want to plant trees, makes sure they are the correct species for the area, and they are well away from buildings and roads.
Other than that, let nature take its course.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 2:28pmIf people want to plant trees, makes sure they are the correct species for the area...
This immediately runs into the same problem as "Correct English usage is what I learnt at school". How do we determine what the "correct species" is for an area... what was there when we were young, after the Normans had arrived, after the Romans had arrived, as far back as we can get archaeological evidence... ?

Or by an anhistoric assessment of the future effects of the different options?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17am .....
Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
Computer numpty here.

One of the utilities in Windows 10 is the character map. You should be able to find it under Windows accessories in the start menu.

In the Arial font there are countless characters including a º sign which it calls "masculine ordinal indicator." You can either copy your chosen character then paste it into your post or hover the cursor over your chosen character when it will reveal the keystrokes which form a short cut.

With my apologies if you knew.

If this is boring, here's the Kip sign ₭ but I don't think it's anything to do with The Land of Nod.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

º

Apple Mac user here, and I've just found out how to do it. :D

Cntrl Cmd Space brings up a host of symbols.

ℳ ♧ µ ❀

For instance. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 3:14pm º

Apple Mac user here, and I've just found out how to do it.

Cntrl Cmd Space brings up a host of symbols.

ℳ ♧ µ ❀

For instance.
As posted upthread:
Jdsk wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:49amOn English Mac keyboards it's Option-Shift-8.
Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 3:00pm
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17am .....
Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
Computer numpty here.

One of the utilities in Windows 10 is the character map. You should be able to find it under Windows accessories in the start menu.

In the Arial font there are countless characters including a º sign which it calls "masculine ordinal indicator." You can either copy your chosen character then paste it into your post or hover the cursor over your chosen character when it will reveal the keystrokes which form a short cut.

With my apologies if you knew.

If this is boring, here's the Kip sign ₭ but I don't think it's anything to do with The Land of Nod.
'Computer numpty' TC, you're speaking my language. It was a very hard frost this morning when I went out, but on return the temperature had gone up to 5º (success with your windows accessories method!) ; much obliged one & all, I'll try and get the other methods to work !
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

[quote=Hellhound post_id=1656409 time=1638184825 user_id=55501

You have to hold down the alt key whilst typing 0176.
It's worked on every keyboard/PC/Laptop I've owned :D
[/quote]
Got it, I'd omitted to paste it, thanks again HH.
Nu-Fogey
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Thanks, I have learnt something useful today :)