How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Pebble »

Looking at the @pressure' tab in https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

the Eye is just north of Galway, Mick must be in that little ridge developing over Penzance

The storm is just reaching us here in the Scottish Borders, got my ride in this morning so I can just sit in comfort and watch it pass. (unless the roof blows off)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Wet and windy this morning but it has perked up and there is some blue sky so will go for a walk later.

You can see the centre of the depression over the Irish Republic on Rain Radar at the moment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble, that map is wrong.
There is no way that the winds are that strong here.
They must be measuring up in the sky somewhere, because down here on the ground, it ain't windy.

Looking out of the livingroom window, the clouds are moving, but not fast in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Calm has arrived from about 12.30 -- many roads flooded
I am here. Where are you?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:12pm Pebble, that map is wrong.
There is no way that the winds are that strong here.
They must be measuring up in the sky somewhere, because down here on the ground, it ain't windy.

Looking out of the livingroom window, the clouds are moving, but not fast in the slightest.
Could you check that you are where you think ? :D

Eye has drooped to 959 - its still deepening
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

In a word; rough!

(NWales)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:29pm Eye has drooped to 959 - its still deepening
Just switched on my Garmin Montana and calibrated the elevation to here. 222ft above mean sea level.
The BP is very accurate with these devices, and it's showing 986.4mb
Lowest I've seen for quite a while.

Still not windy in the slightest, but it's drizzling a bit.

Dark of course! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Certainly windy in the west of the Duchy. I would guess it’s a fairly narrow, steep sided valley where you are Mick. The wind has been west rather than the prevailing south-west. Are you facing east, perchance?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lovely morning here in the Tamar Valley.
Sunny intervals, gentle breeze, the odd shower of rain. Sunshower on the go as I type.
Fluffy white clouds drifting by with a grey one now and again.

5degC
peetee wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 9:56pm ........it’s a fairly narrow, steep sided valley where you are Mick. The wind has been west rather than the prevailing south-west. Are you facing east, perchance?
Not really narrow, and the valley here runs north/south.

We are on the west side of the valley (of course), and we can see up the hill and out. The trees aren't moving or swaying, and when it is SW windy, we can hear it and often feel it.

Today, here, not a great deal of wind.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Was about to say " I think the weather has improved a little and temperatures slightly higher but no it's now dark ( 1pm ) and we have sleet / heavy rain :(
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

First dry morning in a long time -- didn't last long -- rain by dinner time.

The oddest thing was when I was putting up some Xmas lights on the summer house about 5 min ago. I was inside it when a massive bee or wasp flew past my head -- must have been attracted to the gleam of the summer house inside light off my baldy head -- luckily I'd finished and made my escape.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cowsham wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 5:44pm First dry morning in a long time -- didn't last long -- rain by dinner time.

The oddest thing was when I was putting up some Xmas lights on the summer house about 5 min ago. I was inside it when a massive bee or wasp flew past my head -- must have been attracted to the gleam of the summer house inside light off my baldy head -- luckily I'd finished and made my escape.
Queen wasp(?) that thought it had found the pefect overwintering/hibernating accomodation.?
Hadn't reckoned on Xmas, I guess. :shock:

Our weather was much the same. Bright morning rain at lunchtime and after but eased again later.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 6:55pm
Cowsham wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 5:44pm First dry morning in a long time -- didn't last long -- rain by dinner time.

Queen wasp(?) that thought it had found the pefect overwintering/hibernating accomodation.?
Hadn't reckoned on Xmas, I guess. :shock:

Our weather was much the same. Bright morning rain at lunchtime and after but eased again later.
Yes you could be right -- she looked like she had a very long abdomen -- could have been foraging and got trapped in there when the wind blew the door open the other day -- I went over and shut it as soon as I saw it open so she may have been in there at the time.

I found this on the net about queen wasps and it says if you see a wasp in winter it's almost certainly a queen.

https://animals.mom.com/identify-queen-wasp-10023.html
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Beautiful cold (3c) day here in the Borders , off for a 40miler with a pal shortly, give the ice a chance to melt on the roads first!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Down in the sunny south Devon on the coast.
The weatherman says-
455CBD89-2644-413D-AB9B-FF06ADC6F001.jpeg
But it's a balmy 4-5° here at the moment And raining and blowing a gale.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.