How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Mick F »

Weather today has been horrible.
Wind and constant rain. Some wind has abated and some rain has too, but it's still wet and it's still windy.

Dog never got a walk other than up and down the (wet) garden a few times. He's a little over-active this evening, so will need a double-walk tomorrow. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

How's our weather Mick - it only rains between downpours.................... :roll: .
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Truly atrocious day I’ve only been outside to bring in logs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Rained all day here in N Wales and was pretty rough at times, though it's eased now.
High water levels offer some sport clearing water courses and drains.
It's never so bad once your out there!!

I did three steady hours with a shovel fully clad.
There is great satifaction in seeing it all flow well and the water does more than half the work!
I think I need a new waterproof jacket though!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cool, clear and dry this morning. Thank goodness.

A few jobs to do outside including collecting the cut logs. I'll be painting the bathroom ceiling later, then I'll walk the doggy. Hopefully, the weather will hold, but the forecast is for rain (again).
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:Cool, clear and dry this morning. Thank goodness.

A few jobs to do outside including collecting the cut logs. I'll be painting the bathroom ceiling later, then I'll walk the doggy. Hopefully, the weather will hold, but the forecast is for rain (again).

It'll still rain Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sunshine and showers here. Off out shortly with the doggy, but I'll be wearing my old Goretex jacket .......... the one I asked about if I could dye it.

Bathroom ceiling done, but I reckon it might need a top coat. (not a Goretex one! :lol: )
Logs in and fire cleaned out ready for later.

Mrs Mick F has been away this past fortnight in The Gambia doing voluntary work. It's hot and sweaty out there so she's going to be in for a shock when she gets home next Wednesday. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:Sunshine and showers here....................

Yeah - well - it rained on our parade today.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I did the last Christmas card run today - I try to do local(ish) cards by bike. 34 miles in total today.

It was rather gloomy & rain was forecast so I set off wearing my waterproof jacket. After about 10 miles there had been no rain & I was overheating so stopped & swapped my jacket for a second jersey I had packed in my bag - much better. At around 25 miles I even caught a faint glimpse of the sun! After that it did start to rain a little, but not enough to warrant putting my jacket back on. It was nearly all uphill back to home by then & I was generating enough body heat to stay both warm enough & dry enough. The rain had pretty much stopped again by the time I was home but the temperature wasn't high - the reading on my Garmin was mostly around 4°C but dropped below 2°C on the final climb at around 12:45!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Been hard all year to get out on the bike. Most years I manage about 3 morning rides a week up to 30 miles and a club run at the weekend. No chance this year and it's just getting worse. Forecast is bad all week. I got out twice last week and rained on both times. Club runs have mostly been a washout. I'm trying to work out a way of getting some good cardio workouts without being outside. I enjoy the weights in the gym but cardio machines and swimming bores me to death. The squash courts are beckoning as I enjoyed it in my youth but don't know if my knees will cope and I need to find a partner as old and unskilled as myself.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bigjim wrote:Been hard all year to get out on the bike...............

Tell me about it Jim............
A poor day forecast has often turned out to be dry - but I don't know that until I've not ridden.
A fine day forecast turns out to be wet.
A forecast for a wet morning, follows with a forecast for a dry afternoon, but I've not trusted it and started something else.
A forecast for a dry morning follows with a forecast for a wet afternoon and if I've trusted I've got wet.
If a good day is forecast, at best once a week, it's usually the one day when I have other commitments.
After over 60 years of serious adult cycling, this has been the worst year for unreliable and erratic weather.
In past years we've had very bad weather spells alternating with spells of good and settled weather.
Locally the crops may not have totally failed, but they've been light.
Roll on 2020 - and thoughts and sympathies with the poor souls flooded out in various parts.

Happy New Year,
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

JohnW wrote:
bigjim wrote:Been hard all year to get out on the bike...............

Tell me about it Jim............
A poor day forecast has often turned out to be dry - but I don't know that until I've not ridden.
A fine day forecast turns out to be wet.
A forecast for a wet morning, follows with a forecast for a dry afternoon, but I've not trusted it and started something else.
A forecast for a dry morning follows with a forecast for a wet afternoon and if I've trusted I've got wet.
If a good day is forecast, at best once a week, it's usually the one day when I have other commitments.
After over 60 years of serious adult cycling, this has been the worst year for unreliable and erratic weather.
In past years we've had very bad weather spells alternating with spells of good and settled weather.
Locally the crops may not have totally failed, but they've been light.
Roll on 2020 - and thoughts and sympathies with the poor souls flooded out in various parts.

Happy New Year,

And again - steady rain at 08.00.
Persistent to now and continuing.
Only variation is between light and heavy.
Oh, and wet fog.
When and where do the racing men do their training? Do local results suffer in years like this?
How is it for you Mick?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Drove from Cornwall to Hampshire yesterday. As we left it was hideously wet and miserable but drove out of that by mid Devon. Sitting by the coast at Charmouth was lovely. Today in Southampton yesterday's Cornish weather has caught up. Just my luck. Hoping for a better outlook tomorrow cos this proud dad is attending his sons passing out ceremony at Sandhurst Military Academy. :D
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

peetee wrote:Drove from Cornwall to Hampshire yesterday. As we left it was hideously wet and miserable but drove out of that by mid Devon. Sitting by the coast at Charmouth was lovely. Today in Southampton yesterday's Cornish weather has caught up. Just my luck. Hoping for a better outlook tomorrow cos this proud dad is attending his sons passing out ceremony at Sandhurst Military Academy. :D
Have a great day! :D

Weather here today was crap until early afternoon.
Blue sky and fluffy clouds now 15:35 ............ but I'm not banking on it being nice later or even tomorrow.
Doggy got a walk this afternoon in the dry, as he doesn't seem to like the rain.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Thanks Mick.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.