How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: How's your weather?

Post by rjb »

Still blowing hard and gusty in Somerset. 89 mph gust at Berry Head. Hope N/A is ok. Fence has blown over :( fortunately we are on the waiting list to have it rebuilt. :D . Now I'm retired I don't have to ride to work, like I did when we had a hurricane in the past. Walk to the community coffee shop will be our exercise today. I will check on the state of the tarps tomorrow when I ride past the farm. viewtopic.php?t=148023&start=90
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:38pm Just had a power dip!
I get that riding into a headwind too.😎
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Blowing an absolute hooligan of a wind out there.
Dustbin and incinerator went awol, since both retrieved.

Daughter1 in Bideford, woke up to find someone's trampoline in her back garden. Seems like it was her next-door neighbour's, but no-one knows how they're going to get it home because there are high wooden fences and small narrow gateways. :lol:

They may have to wait for the wind to change directions!
Mick F. Cornwall
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Strong northerly wind last night, an unusual direction. This morning it looks as if my windows have a fine coating of salt on them even though the nearest coast is one mile to the north of my house. I don't recall seeing this before and I have been living here for 37 years.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 10:02am Blowing an absolute hooligan of a wind out there.
Dustbin and incinerator went awol, since both retrieved.

Daughter1 in Bideford, woke up to find someone's trampoline in her back garden. Seems like it was her next-door neighbour's, but no-one knows how they're going to get it home because there are high wooden fences and small narrow gateways. :lol:

Some disassembly required.

Chums of MrsA in Aberdeen moved house yesterday. At one point a gust took the headboard of their bed and carried it away down the road, where slammed into the face of their son who was returning from the post office. The lad's glasses are smashed and he's got a shiner you could read by.

Nothing of the sort happening here: low cloud, persistent drizzle and 3°C. A bit of a breeze, but that's all.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Northerly is unusual for us, too. We've lived here since 1975 and, touch wood, the only wind damage to the house was several ridge tiles displaced when a southerly gale was funnelled between the houses over the street. The prevailing wind is westerly and we are in the lee of a hill and sheltered by all the buildings higher up, which often lose tiles in gales. We are completely exposed to northerlies. My big worry is the solar panels might be damaged but they weren't even creaking last night.

Thinks: perhaps trampolines could be included in a modernised version of the Beaufort Scale for landlubbers.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Woke up to snow.The dog loves it :lol: :lol:
That's my plans for the day scuppered.Also very gusty :|
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm okay, living on the top of the hill I've learnt to tie everything down and plenty of bricks.
Few years back had a parasol land on the camper while I was in it :evil:

We are about 450 feet, Berry Head is about 200 something but very exposed next to the sea.
Nothing like 1987 with flying roof tiles in the centre of Paignton town.

Went shopping last night about 2° and sleet.
Heating is on but it's not that warm in the house because of the wind, it appears that make a difference when it's windy and cold, Or maybe I'm just getting old.
Wind is still up and won't disappear till teatime only about 45 miles an hour gusting to 50 odd last night.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 10:02am

Get the largest person in the village to bounce on it with a rope connecting their ankle to the trampoline. Ask them to aim themselves over the fence and let Newtons Laws do the rest.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

peetee wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 9:21am
Cowsham wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:38pm Just had a power dip!
I get that riding into a headwind too.😎
:lol:

Was it Bradley Wiggans that said " when riding into a head wind ride slower "
I am here. Where are you?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Chaos, stuff blown over and all around everywhere this morning. At 4am the wind was really howling. The BBC Weather App reckoned the wind speed was 17mph. It was more like 40 or 50!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The wind should abate overnight, so tomorrow I'll risk going up into our wood and hopefully find a tree or two blown over! :D
Saves me cutting them down.

Dangerous up there when it's windy especially at the far end where there's huge beech that creaks and groans and every now and again, a big branch will come down. I keep well away from it.

The rest of the place is ash, oak and birch. Birch is shallow rooted and only lives 50 or 60 years before dying. It makes good firewood, so it'll be good if another one comes down .............. so long as no-one is near it! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Trees down at "The Dark Hedges" this morning. Famous but I don't know what for.
20211127_134448.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I went out to go to the cycle jumble at Longridge yesterday, fantastically windy (N) and cold, but dry.
Almost blown to a halt on the road downhill from Skem, and nearly blown off the towpath into the L&L canal, when the gusts coincided with gaps in the hedgerows,
I was having to ride with the rear brake dragging on slightly to keep on the path, and had to get off and push a couple of times, it's quite often windy in West Lanc's, with the prevailing westerlies off the Atlantic/Irish seas, but I think that's the strongest wind I've experienced in my six years of living in here.
Berrys and small branches blown off the hedges, and one tree blown down on the estate I live on.
After a mild debacle with my onward train journey, I called it a draw and went to the market in Ormskirk instead. I eventually decided to ride home only to discover a thorn puncture from the towpath; I'd had enough by then and got
one of the good folks at H.Middleton cycles to put me a tube in - never had a bike shop do that before; luxury. I had a leisurely walk around for a bit whilst the repair was effected.
I think the mechanic in there said he got seven thorns from the tyre, only one had gotten through though, and I repaired the tube when I got home.
I took this picture of the snow on the tops of Bowland Fell (I think), on the ride home.
A grand day out.
P1160179 (4).JPG
Just dry and freezing this morning, and the wind has died down, thankfully.
Time to put the studs on the shopping bike for the winter, I think.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Studs?

When I was a kid in Wrightington, I took my bike onto a frozen pond and had a go at riding.
Straight down to my left, and the pedal dented the ice! :D

Just here off Robin Hood Lane. We lived a couple of hundred yards up the road from there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59575 ... 271824,17z
Mick F. Cornwall