How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: How's your weather?

Post by al_yrpal »

After roof strip yesterday, felt and batens replaced and roof access dormer rebuilt heavy rain in late afternoon found its way through a gully in a steady drip. Tiles going back this morning and gully to be releaded. Hope the showers hold off then we can remove the saucepans on the stairs catching the drips.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

After a really wild night it's now sunny but still gale force winds.
July and August are normally very hot and dry but not yet . Rain and cloud on many days but not cold.
The upside is we've had a bumper crop of raspberries and gooseberries. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sort of ok today.
Drove to the ill-health centre at early afternoon to get my ears cleaned out :D and then called in at the Rising Sun for a couple of Dartmoor Legend pints, but whilst inside, the heavens opened.

Absolutely hammered it down. Stair Rods. :shock:
Fine now, and sunny (dry) intervals.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Beautiful here in York all day.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Blisteringly hot out there (again).
Quarter past ten in the morning, and too hot outside to do anything. I was out there pottering in the garden, but had to come in. Doggie's gone to sleep under the bed on the hard cool floor.

Same heat as yesterday, but me and doggie went on a long walk through the woods and along the riverbank ......... where it's shady.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Best summer we've had for many years really pleasantly hot -- can't believe I've banjoed myself right on the very first week of all this great weather.

That first week of June in hospital was terrible warm and all I could do was look out at the sunshine.

When will we ever see one like this again?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cowsham wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:38pm Best summer we've had for many years really pleasantly hot -- can't believe I've banjoed myself right on the very first week of all this great weather.

That first week of June in hospital was terrible warm and all I could do was look out at the sunshine.

When will we ever see one like this again?
This is exactly what we can expect and even hotter. Thunderstorms and floods for a little variety. Old people and those with respiratory problems having to stay indoors.

Not much to like.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Best July I can remember in a long time. Things are getting very droughty here though. Last rain we had was in the middle of June. I’ve had to get the hosepipe out for my veg plot as I couldn’t keep up with a watering can.
Had a ride up to Beattock Summit and back yesterday afternoon. It’s mostly shaded by trees on the north bound side and coming back down there’s a breeze. A laden LEJOG cyclist struggling up a small incline at four pm he had come from Gretna! Only 30 miles and intending to reach Glasgow another 50 or 60! I gave him all my cold water out of my flask and hoped he make it to at least Abington services by dark.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Paulatic wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 6:19am Best July I can remember in a long time. Things are getting very droughty here though. Last rain we had was in the middle of June. I’ve had to get the hosepipe out for my veg plot as I couldn’t keep up with a watering can.
Had a ride up to Beattock Summit and back yesterday afternoon. It’s mostly shaded by trees on the north bound side and coming back down there’s a breeze. A laden LEJOG cyclist struggling up a small incline at four pm he had come from Gretna! Only 30 miles and intending to reach Glasgow another 50 or 60! I gave him all my cold water out of my flask and hoped he make it to at least Abington services by dark.
Beginning to wonder why we do it to ourselves.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Because it's there"?

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Pretty fed up at the moment. I’ve been off the bike for a fortnight after getting probably the worst cold I’ve ever had. I shook that off at the end of last week and since then I have only clocked a couple of miles on the bike because it’s simply too hot to ride. What we need down here is a few more trees so I can have a nice shady ride.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, trees can be Good Things at this time of year.
Walked four or five miles with the doggie today, but along the heavily wooded river bank.

Not been on the bike since the 15th ...... that's six days ......... too hot to even contemplate it. Weather warnings issued now!
Due to rain at the weekend .......... weather warnings issued for that too.

Would I chose to ride in a weather warning for heavy rain, or a weather warning for high heat? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

We've been taking our dog out at 06:30-07:30 and again at 20:30-21:30.It's just too hot the rest of the day even though we can get in shade and there's a stream.
I've tried one ride and came home after around 12 miles,far too hot/humid.Not enjoyable :|
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done a few rides in the heat. A hilly 45 and a couple of mid 30 milers in the last week.

The last ride is evidence of how the heat has been gradually building. Within 20 minutes my bottle was warm. Naturally I hydrate on getting home as well but I can fully understand the impact it can have on some folk. That post ride wee, no matter how much you drink is happening later and later and that isn't a good thing.

Today I gave it a miss. I really cannot imagine what the temp between the hedgerows was like, with no breeze.
The dogs are just being taken out now, the hanging baskets are hanging onto life, just, also the dogs have slept outside for the last few nights (never happened before)

Its hard to believe that a week last Sunday Dartmoor was a washout and temperatures were half what they are now.

A cold beer in the garden is called for. Luckily I installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom a few years back and its a godsend, rarely used mind but makes a hell of a difference in the sleeping stakes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
34C last few days.
Monday noticed the cool air at night through the marshes...............normally it chills in winter time.

Spoke to docs yesterday and said stop taking candesartan, which I believe is my problem.
I have been in a black hole for at least three years and I keep going hoping one day I will change for the better.

A few months ago I was in melt down and had to stop every 1/4 of a mile coming home from a ride of just 1.5 - 2.5 hours.

Go to bed with pain in muscles and joints wake the same......................if I remain stationary for 30 minutes then it comes on only moving gives relief.......................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.