How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: How's your weather?

Post by thirdcrank »

We've got the rain now, not particularly heavy but it's persisting it down. And wind still quite light. Perhaps the mercury is doing a post-Michael Fish and over-forecasting to avoid embarrassment :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tim Holman wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 7:41am The Stewartry of Kirkcudbright is wet, windy and I have lost an hour somewhere. I'll have to ask if anybody's seen it. If Daylight Saving Time really worked, why can't I save it up somewhere in the bikeshed for use at my convenience? I'm sure I have an empty Golden Syrup tin under the bench that I could fill.
Tim
You were given an extra hour -- where did you put it?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hail showers tonight -- 4 degrees -- was looking forward to an early morning ride at about 6am -- don't know about that now. It's white outside -- very Christmasy getting.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cold and icy first thing, the guard on the train was telling me the combination of leaves and ice was making getting traction away from stations tricky, due to wheel spin, it had cost them a few minutes earlier in the day.
Cold enough for them to put salt on the platform at Parbold anyway. I bought a Pashmina ( a long scarf shawl type thing) from a local charity shop for 3 quid, I tried it yesterday and it felt quite effective under a jacket, think it might become my cold weather friend this winter and simple to discard during a ride once I'm warmed up..
P1160051 (3).JPG
You can't even get a warm in the adjacent pub The Railway anymore, the covid crisis has claimed it, a view through the wind shows
a rather poignant view I thought, of the last drinks taken; empty glasses left unwashed on the bar.
I haven't visited a pub for many years, but I still think it's a shame that these travellers rests are disappearing (along with many other hostelries).
A lot of community history gone down the drip-tray.
P1160052 (2).JPG
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Must try a Pashmina Colin -- getting a p stop is the worst bit for me with so many places shut.

I got out for my ride on Sunday morning after all -- weather forecast was wrong for the morning -- was supposed to be dry but a few min into ride the rain came on quite heavy.

I rode on and by the time I got to the next town about 15 miles in it had eased a fair bit. I did dry out in a strong head wind eventually and actually enjoyed the journey home.

Did about 35 miles on the mountain bike and by the time I got home the sun had came up. I prefer the mtb in dodgy conditions.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bright and sunny yesterday, but colder. Today looks like being the same. I will take the dog for a coastal walk. I may even take her down to the beach if the tide is right. She loves a run on the sand.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Monday had the best weather for ages; sunny and calm if a bit frosty at first, so I made the most of it by bagging a peak (on foot). Great views and just a bit of snow and ice on top.

Today sees a return to cloud and gloom, but at least it is not raining, that is forecast for tomorrow afternoon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Sunny and calm, though very cold.
I'm letting the morning warm up a bit then going out for a ride.

Very very sunny and very very dry, with a touch of frost first thing. Trouble is round here for cycling in the winter, is that when you plunge down into the valleys, it's cold and the windchill from the speed of the descent gets right through to your (my) bones. I look forward to climbing the hills to warm up! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 8:06am Must try a Pashmina Colin -- getting a p stop is the worst bit for me with so many places shut.

A good quality one packs down to nothing it's such fine yarn, but they're super expensive - I was lucky to get this one new and still in the wrapper. A long flat wool scarf serves much the same purpose in my experience, but the size of the pashmina type scarf means you can use it like a shawl ( because it is a shawl !) around your neck, shoulders and chest and it has no bulk to speak of under a jacket. Winter cross-dressing here I come !!
Nu-Fogey
rjb

Post by rjb »

Frosty and sunny first thing but the clouds are now arriving. We were waiting for it to warm up before going for a ride. Now going for a short walk before lunch then if it warms up a bit more a tandem ride this afternoon. It's only 3° here at the moment.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:49am Monday had the best weather for ages; sunny and calm if a bit frosty at first, so I made the most of it by bagging a peak (on foot). Great views and just a bit of snow and ice on top.

I would love to know your peak and route, so I could imagine the scene.
I assume you were in Eryri, the mountains I know so well. I used to be able to look up to the hills every day, and try to estimate the condition of any snow I could see.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Mike Sales wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:54am
rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:49am Monday had the best weather for ages; sunny and calm if a bit frosty at first, so I made the most of it by bagging a peak (on foot). Great views and just a bit of snow and ice on top.

I would love to know your peak and route, so I could imagine the scene.
I assume you were in Eryri, the mountains I know so well. I used to be able to look up to the hills every day, and try to estimate the condition of any snow I could see.
It was Moel Siabod. My route was the track upto the quarries from Pont Cyfyng, over the ridge, through the bogs (not too bad), then I was thinking about going up the south ridge which involves some easy scrambling but because I haven't done much hill walking for ages, I decided to take the easier path that ascends gradually to the west ridge, then the top for lunch accompanied by a ravenous raven, then descend down the motorway towards Plas y Brenin. Quite a few people about but not busy. Superb distant views to Arenig Fawr, Aran Ridge, Rhinogs etc. Hopefully we will have a few more days like this this winter.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:37am
It was Moel Siabod. My route was the track upto the quarries from Pont Cyfyng, over the ridge, through the bogs (not too bad), then I was thinking about going up the south ridge which involves some easy scrambling but because I haven't done much hill walking for ages, I decided to take the easier path that ascends gradually to the west ridge, then the top for lunch accompanied by a ravenous raven, then descend down the motorway towards Plas y Brenin. Quite a few people about but not busy. Superb distant views to Arenig Fawr, Aran Ridge, Rhinogs etc. Hopefully we will have a few more days like this this winter.
Thanks. I envy you.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:55am Yep.
Sunny and calm, though very cold.
I'm letting the morning warm up a bit then going out for a ride.
Left at 2degC at 10:30 down into the valley - it was cold! - then climbed up and up on the English side and up and up to 900ft near Brent Tor, before dropping down into Tavistock town centre. Temp rising to 8degC and later 9degC.

Called in at the Hole in the Wall at Natwest Bank where the temp hit 11degC :D
Headed back over the hills and down into the valley again to cross over to Cornwall. The temp managed to stay at 6degC at the bottom.

The sun has set here now. 2pm and the sun has set!
Roll on spring!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
The village of Latchley (or is it a hamlet?) the sun never rises from November until February.
We know people who live there.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 14.19.40.png
Mick F. Cornwall